KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: When using the Windows+H dictation, how to activate microphone by keyboard or voice?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/19/2021 01:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 12/19/2021 01:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I recently started experimenting with the text-to-speech feature that pops up when you press Windows+H.

It is useful in some situations, like when Dragon is not launched, or when I am on my laptop and running on battery.

However, after I go some time without dictating, the microphone turns off, and I cannot continue to dictate with it until I click the microphone icon again.

screenshot of what I am talking about 

I want to be able to activate the microphone by voice (similar to saying "wake up" to Dragon") or at least reactivate the microphone by pressing a keyboard hotkey. Reaching for the mouse to click the microphone icon everything will time is cumbersome.

Is there way to do this? I'm having trouble looking up documentation for this on the Microsoft website because there are multiple versions of Microsoft dictation/speech to text.

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

12/19/2021 06:22 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

After you press {Win+h} you have 30 seconds to dictate. However, if you use your mouse or keyboard, the microphone will immediately turn off. You will either have to use your mouse or press {Win+h} again. When you press {Win+h} you are simply accessing the Cloud Voice Access speech engine; nothing else. In other words, there are no options, settings or voice commands. You might even think of it as a pre-release of Voice Access.

Did you know that you can turn the microphone on in both Dragon and Voice Access (cloud). When you do this, Voice Access will prevent Dragon dictation from deploying but of course this should all be moot, other than for entertainment purposes. You probably won't want to use Voice Access for any real work since you already own the deluxe speech recognition product

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

12/19/2021 06:51 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

[You will either have to use your mouse or press {Win+h} again. 

Pressing {Win + H} doesn't reactivate the microphone for me, but instead closes the dictation box. I'm on Windows 10. Here is what's currently happening for me:

1. I press {Win + H}
  2. The dictation box appears on the screen, and initializes after a few moments, with the microphone active
  3. I wait for a while
  4. The microphone icon goes dead, but the dictation box remains on the screen. (If I click the microphone icon, then the dictation box will become active again.)
  5. I press {Win + H} again
  6. The dictation box disappears from the screen
  7. I must start the process over to bring the dictation box back up with a live microphone

In other words, there are no options, settings or voice commands.

I can actually do some basic commands (depending on the app), such as “select next two words” etc

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

12/19/2021 07:31 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Our apologies. We should've mentioned that we are using Windows 11 and mercifully, we finally got Dragon to behave. We can't check but it sounds like you might be using WSR

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32307 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 446 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 446 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.