KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Do You Have a Problem with Some Dragon Commands Not Working in Scrivener?
Topic Summary: Looking for Help with Some Dragon Commands that do not work in Scrivener word processer/organizer
Created On: 06/07/2021 11:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 06/07/2021 11:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

drutgat

Hi,

I use Dragon Professional Individual 15 with Scrivener 3 Windows (and quite a few other different pieces of software), and am very happy with Dragon’s performance.

And I know that because Scrivener is not a programme supported by Dragon, it is not fair to expect all of Dragon's commands to work in unsupported programmes.

Recently, I have noticed a new quirk with Dragon in Scrivener, in addition to several things that do not work which I have known about for a long time, and I am wondering if others have experienced these problems, and if so, what possible solutions you might suggest.

I am using Dragon 15 Professional for Windows.

These are the problems I am experiencing with Dragon in Scrivener

1.     When I resume dictation after pausing when dictating a sentence, Dragon/Scrivener puts the first newly dictated word right next to the last word dictated before the pause (i.e., without a space between the words).

I have used various versions of Scrivener in Word, several email and webmail programmes, and other types of software, and have only experienced this problem rarely.

And this problem only started happening for me in Scrivener in the last week or so: before that, pausing and resuming dictation would never cause this problem.

2.     Some Dragon commands do not work in Scrivener. While I do not expect all Dragon commands to work in Scrivener (because Scrivener is not a supported platform), I am curious about whether the following commands work for others in Scrivener

a.     The “All Cap(s) That” command does not work

b.     The “Select [words in the sentence or window]” does not work

I am grateful for any help with this.

Thank you.

06/08/2021 03:09 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

All the effects you describe are directly caused by Scrivener not being supported by Dragon.

For unsupported editors, Dragon cannot see the text in the editor when it has to enter recognized text, so neither can it decide whether or not to capitalize the first letter nor whether or not to add a space before the first word.

Whenever you use "that" in a voice command, this relates to the current selection in your editor (which Dragon also cannot know for unsupported editors) or the last recognized sentence/utterance if the selection is empty.

Usually, unless your unsupported editor window loses focus, Dragon remembers the last sentence and thus can support some voice commands (like "scratch that") even though text transfer to the unsupported editor has to be performed using keyboard emulation, basically.

If you pause shortly, without switching to a different window, Dragon should remember that what you say next is not the first sentence dictated into your editor and so should add a blank before the first word.

Of course, it will add the blank anyway, even if you typed it in manually, because Dragon cannot query the current text for unsupported editors.

When the unsupported window is destroyed, Dragon will release its buffers as well and start without a leading blank the next time you start dictating into a new instance of this unsupported editor.

If this happens without the window being destroyed and recreated in the meantime, some timeout in Dragon could be included after which all the buffers assigned to this unsupported window are cleared.

hth,

mav

06/08/2021 11:46 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Whenever you use "that" in a voice command, this relates to the current selection in your editor (which Dragon also cannot know for unsupported editors) or the last recognized sentence/utterance if the selection is empty.

Or more generally, the context (utterance) of the current text cursor position if the selection has a length of zero.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

06/08/2021 11:21 PM

drutgat

Thanks very much for the replies Mav and R. Wilke.
 06/09/2021 09:51 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

If you are using Scrivener you may be interested in how SP 6 Standard can enhance your productivity with it, as demonstrated in this video:

Both SP Standard as well as PRO have gotten quite popular among Scrivener users.

Mary Crawford, Scrivener user and popular author of Dragon guides explains why:

https://youtu.be/LXTO9_oGZY8?list=PLCl3DWM-P5iM_39AeEDjlyMR8m%208Ivczic&t=1521 

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

06/09/2021 10:14 PM

drutgat

Originally posted by: dilligence If you are using Scrivener you may be interested in how SP 6 Standard can enhance your productivity with it, as demonstrated in this video:

Both SP Standard as well as PRO have gotten quite popular among Scrivener users.

Mary Crawford, Scrivener user and popular author of Dragon guides explains why:

https://youtu.be/LXTO9_oGZY8?list=PLCl3DWM-P5iM_39AeEDjlyMR8m%208Ivczic&t=1521 

Thanks, dilligence.

I watched the YT video, and wanted to find out more, so I clicked on the link

http://www.speechproducctivity.eu/

but the link does not work.

I had tried to watch Mary Crawford's video a while back, but could not get all the way through it because the presentation, to be frank, is appalling - not saying Mary does not know what she is talking about.

Thanks again.

06/09/2021 11:05 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

The link of that video is now fixed. Thanks for noticing.

But it's even easier to click on my signature tag below.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

Statistics
32307 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 419 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 419 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.