KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Can't get WSR to work
Topic Summary: Keep getting error that speech recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported
Created On: 01/20/2021 09:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Can't get WSR to work   - Dr. C - 01/20/2021 09:55 PM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/21/2021 12:30 PM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Mav - 01/22/2021 09:35 AM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Dr. C - 01/23/2021 08:12 PM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Mav - 01/25/2021 02:15 AM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - R. Wilke - 01/23/2021 08:17 PM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Dr. C - 01/23/2021 08:27 PM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/23/2021 09:53 PM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - emiliaserv - 02/02/2021 08:47 AM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Dr. C - 02/02/2021 12:13 PM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Mav - 02/09/2021 07:36 AM  
 Can't get WSR to work   - Dr. C - 02/09/2021 11:06 AM  
Keyword
 01/20/2021 09:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dr. C
Power Member

I wonder if anyone has any advice on how to get WSR to work. I keep getting the error message that the recognizer language must match the language of the user interface. I have tried various ways to make sure the 2 match. According to System they are the same, but I keep getting the error. I am current on all Microsoft windows updates. I have read that some people have both Dragon and WSR open at the same time without problems. I have tried running WSR without Dragon without success. I am hoping to correct the problem without doing a clean install of Windows 10 professional, but I'm beginning to think that's what it will take. The reason I want to run WSR is to dictate in German. I don't use German enough to justify buying a separate German Dragon license.

Any help is appreciated.

-------------------------

David Collier

DPI 15.61, Knowbrainer 2017, Sennheiser ME3, Logitech USB adapter, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, MS Office 2016

01/21/2021 12:30 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We can't give you a qualified answer because we cannot think of an advantage running WSR with or without Dragon. WSR accuracy is dreadful. Most WSR development was discontinued in 2006. The Dragon like Dictation Box feature can be helpful or harmful (depending on your use) but doesn't save WSR. In our opinion, you are not missing anything that you already have in Dragon. The scuttlebutt is that WSR will be replaced with another speech recognition utility, in the next Windows release.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/22/2021 09:35 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

I just tried the other way round: enabling English WSR on my German Windows 10.

Go to Language settings and add "German" as a preferred language. Make sure you download the speech recognition components for German!

After that, you can set the "Windows display language" to "German (Germany)". Once you log out and log in again, your UI should be German.

Now go to "Sprache/Spracherkennung" and you should be able to select "Deutsch (Deutschland)" as your "Spracherkennungssprache".

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can see the installed language packs - you should have English and German now.

hth,

mav

01/23/2021 08:12 PM

Author Icon
Dr. C
Power Member

Lunis,
is there any way to use Dragon to dictate in German and English without separate versions?

May,
I tried switching to German where Windows 10 had German as the display language, I installed the German language pack, but I kept getting the error "Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported." I've attached the screenshot of the German version.
I can't get it working English or German.

David Collier

DPI 15.61, Knowbrainer 2017, Sennheiser ME3, Logitech USB adapter, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, MS Office 2016

01/25/2021 02:15 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi David!

I guess somehow your display language still differs from the installed SR language.

Here's a step-by-step instruction on how to change the language, maybe it helps:

How to Change the Display Language in Windows 10 (howtogeek.com)

I'm not sure whether or not the dialect as something to do with it, but it can't hurt if you choose "Deutsch (Deutschland)" everywhere.

hth,

mav

01/23/2021 08:17 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

is there any way to use Dragon to dictate in German and English without separate versions?

If you buy the German version, you get both German and English. Switching between them requires switching profiles, however.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

01/23/2021 08:27 PM

Author Icon
Dr. C
Power Member

Can I upgrade an English version to a German version of Dragon?

David Collier

01/23/2021 09:53 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Considering the circumstances, it wouldn't hurt Nuance to offer an even swap but unfortunately, that animal does not exist. You would literally have to purchase a full copy of German

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

02/02/2021 08:47 AM

emiliaserv

I may be wrong, but from what I remember, and we are talking about a long time ago, it was not possible to use a different WSR language to that of the operating system. So if you had Windows in German you could only use WSR in German, Windows in US English only lets you use WSR in US English, etc.

02/02/2021 12:13 PM

Author Icon
Dr. C
Power Member

Mav,
Thanks for the help. I have tried very hard to get everything lined up as instructed on howtogeek.com without success. I have concluded that my Windows 10 installation has a bug preventing WSR from running. I remembered that I have an old laptop running Windows 10 that I wasn't using. It will run WSR and I have successfully set it up so that I can use Deutsch. My German pronunciation is good but WSR has a hard time understanding me and I have not learned how to use it very well. VoiceIn from dictanote.co seems to work better and I have been using that with Chrome.

emiliaserv, you are correct that to use WSR in another language the operating system must use the same language. I am willing to learn Windows OS in German if I am able to dictate in German, but my old laptop is very slow and I have found it easier to use VoiceIn for German dictation and use Dragon to cut and paste the German text into wherever I need it. It is less efficient but a doable workaround. I've considered reinstalling Windows 10 on my main desktop, but I am not very eager to do so. The problem with running Windows in German is that the English Dragon probably won't work right.

David Collier

02/09/2021 07:36 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Glad to hear you got it to work on the other machine.

WSR's accuracy is far inferior to Dragon's, but still can be used in certain areas just fine.

The main advantage is that it (usually ) works out-of-the-box without need for 3rd party software and that you can use full speech recognition grammars for your voice commands.

Dragon, on the other hand, doesn't care which language your OS is set to. You will be able to dictate in German on an English Windows and vice versa (in case you have a German Dragon, of course - English is included there).

hth,

mav

02/09/2021 11:06 AM

Author Icon
Dr. C
Power Member

Originally posted by: Mav Glad to hear you got it to work on the other machine.

Dragon, on the other hand, doesn't care which language your OS is set to. You will be able to dictate in German on an English Windows and vice versa (in case you have a German Dragon, of course - English is included there).

That's good to know that the operating system language does not keep English DPI from working. Maybe in the future I will try to get a German Dragon version.

David Collier

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microsoft Windows Speech Recognition » Can't get WSR to work

Statistics
31988 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 542 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 544 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.