KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How Do I De-Select Underline, Bold, and Other Formatting Commands in Dragon 15?
Topic Summary: De-Selecting Formatting Commands in Dragon
Created On: 08/07/2021 04:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 08/07/2021 04:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

drutgat

Hi,

I am using Dragon Professional Indiviidual 15, build 15.61.200.010.

I have long wondered if it is possible to de-select/remove formatting commands such as underline and bold by using a voice command, mostly applied to Microsoft Word.

I tried re-stating the command (e.g., "underline that", "bold that") on a piece of already formatted text, but that did not work (even though I subsequently read that doing that should have worked).

I imagine that I could create a custom command, but sometimes those commands take a fraction of a second longer to execute than I would like, interrupting the dictation flow, so I am hoping there is another solution.

Thanks for any help you can provide with this.

08/07/2021 04:44 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Try "make that normal".

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

08/07/2021 05:08 PM

drutgat

Originally posted by: R. Wilke Try "make that normal".

Hi RW,

Many thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Unfortunately, "make that normal" does not work.

I also tried "make normal", and that, similarly, does not work.

Thanks very much for your suggestion, though.

08/07/2021 05:16 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

In Word, try "format that normal" instead. "Make that normal" is more like DragonPad.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

08/07/2021 06:47 PM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

You have to select the text in question first. Once you have done that, you can say Press Control Bravo to remove bolding or Press Control India to remove italics or Press Control Uniform to remove underlining (these commands also work for applying bolding, italics, and underlining on selected text). There are other ways to do this, but those are the commands I use most frequently. (I just did a test. If you have just finished it dictating something with formatting and want to reverse it, you can say "unitalicize that", "unbold that," etc. Or you can select text that you have previously dictated and then use one of those commands.) Hope this helps.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

08/07/2021 07:18 PM

drutgat

Scribe, yes, I realise one has to select text before one can do anything to it, but thanks for mentioning that anyway, because some people reading this might not know that.

You do not have to select text before verbally applying formatting in Dragon friendly environments. You can reduce those 3 steps to 1. Try opening a Microsoft Word document. Let's pretend your document includes the phrase “the blue dog”. Try saying bold <the blue dog>, capitalize <the blue dog>, underline <the blue dog> etc. Note that if the text is already underlined, deploying the same command will remove the underline formatting and even return your cursor to its original position.

We try to avoid any commands that end and the word “that” because it seems too easy for Dragon to misinterpret commands like bold that, italicize that etc. If you are dictating a single word/phrase, waiting for your dictation to hit the page and then saying all caps that, you are working very inefficiently. It is more productive to dictate your formatting as you go; as opposed to after the fact. Example: Say this is a cap <blue> dog to produce “this is a Blue dog”. If you wish to capitalize a phrase you could say something like this is bold on blue dog blues bold off to produce “this is Blue Dog Blues”

08/07/2021 07:45 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

This is how I usually do it, I believe it is the fastest way. In the below video I'm also demonstrating the "Please Remove Formatting" DVC command I created which normalizes the selected text or all text in the document. The voice command is application-specific to MS Word:

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

08/07/2021 11:30 PM

drutgat

Originally posted by: dilligence This is how I usually do it, I believe it is the fastest way. In the below video I'm also demonstrating the "Please Remove Formatting" DVC command I created which normalizes the selected text or all text in the document. The voice command is application-specific to MS Word:

Many thanks for this, diligence.

Very helpful.

Do I detect a Dutch accent? if so, solidarity

08/07/2021 11:26 PM

drutgat

Originally posted by: drutgat
Scribe, yes, I realise one has to select text before one can do anything to it, but thanks for mentioning that anyway, because some people reading this might not know that.

You do not have to select text before verbally applying formatting in Dragon friendly environments. You can reduce those 3 steps to 1. Try opening a Microsoft Word document. Let's pretend your document includes the phrase “the blue dog”. Try saying bold , capitalize , underline 

etc. Note that if the text is already underlined, deploying the same command will remove the underline formatting and even return your cursor to its original position. We try to avoid any commands that end and the word “that” because it seems too easy for Dragon to misinterpret commands like bold that, italicize that etc. If you are dictating a single word/phrase, waiting for your dictation to hit the page and then saying all caps that, you are working very inefficiently. It is more productive to dictate your formatting as you go; as opposed to after the fact. Example: Say this is a cap dog to produce “this is a Blue dog”. If you wish to capitalize a phrase you could say something like this is bold on blue dog blues bold off to produce “this is Blue Dog Blues”

Thanks for this.

I had actually tried repeating the formatting command (in order to remove it), as I said in an earlier message.

I tried that in two different documents, with newly dictated text, and text that already existed in the documents.

That had not worked at that point, but seems to now work. I have no idea why, but these inconsistencies seem to pop up using Dragon quite a bit (I have been using various versions of Dragon for about eight years now).

Thank you for the tips about not having to say "select", but just quoting the text, and for not saying the word "that". 

In terms of dictating new formatting as you go, I agree, that is more efficient, but what you are ignoring is that sometimes the process of re-writing necessarily involves going back and editing something that has already been dictated.

Thanks again.

08/07/2021 06:47 PM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

By the way, those are commands that I use in Microsoft Word. I can't guarantee that they would work elsewhere.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

08/07/2021 11:50 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Say "press/type control u" which toggles the underlining for a selection or turns it on and off if none, and "press/type control b" which does same for bolding. It's super fast too.

Btw, _if_ the ribbon shows the buttons, saying "[click] underline/bold" should? toggle those buttons, too.  "Underline/bold that" are natural language commands that will always turn/keep it on.  Try "no bold/underline that" to turn it off.

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

08/08/2021 06:20 PM

drutgat

Originally posted by: PG LTU Say "press/type control u" which toggles the underlining for a selection or turns it on and off if none, and "press/type control b" which does same for bolding. It's super fast too.

Btw, _if_ the ribbon shows the buttons, saying "[click] underline/bold" should? toggle those buttons, too.  "Underline/bold that" are natural language commands that will always turn/keep it on.  Try "no bold/underline that" to turn it off.

Thanks very much PG LTU.

Statistics
32307 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 410 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 412 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.