KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Putting DNS on a cloud service computer
Topic Summary: Accessing DNS from a M1 Mac through a cloud service computer
Created On: 03/01/2022 11:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Putting DNS on a cloud service computer   - LnDictating - 03/01/2022 11:09 PM  
 Putting DNS on a cloud service computer   - Mav - 03/02/2022 02:10 AM  
 Putting DNS on a cloud service computer   - LnDictating - 03/02/2022 03:40 AM  
Keyword
 03/01/2022 11:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
LnDictating
Top-Tier Member

If you know all about this, I appologize ahead of time for using the wrong terms.  I am asking about an area that is totally unfamiliar to me.

Because I want to have access to DNS from a Macbook pro which operates on a Monterey OS, my son, who is a software engineer, is suggesting to me that I should use a cloud service that will allow me to pick any version of windows to control DNS in a cloud computer.  He says accessories like the mic and keyboard can be used as well from my Mac.  This will avoid use of  software like Parallels.

Does this sound possible to you or is anyone else doing it?

I don't know this jargon, but he was showing me his SSH ??? that he uses for work.  He does this all the time.  He is talking about a docker environment, ADOS, and AWS. I am lost, but if you know about this, these terms may be meaningful.

He is saying that I need to learn a limited number of command lines.  Most of what I need to get the program started can be programmed ahead of time so this is not so confusing to a computer semi-illiterate person.

Rent for this kind of service is minimal.  It is charged by the minute. So, it is inexpensive for my simple dictating tasks.

I am loading the newest version of DNS on my PC windows 10, but I don't want to be committed to lugging it around with me.

-------------------------

MacDicate VXI TalkPro5 and  DNS Premium Win 8.1 Knowbrainer 2015 Travel TableMic

More capable on a Mac than on a PC.

03/02/2022 02:10 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Something like this can be done, actually, but I strongly doubt that this can be set up by someone who is not really a pro.

Since Dragon only can run on Windows, you'd need a cloud machine running Windows, of course. Doesn't matter if it's running in Azure, AWS or any other cloud service provider.

Next you need a way to access this machine from your Mac. That's the area I'm not very confident how well this will work.

You need a client application running on your Mac (on Windows that's the Remote desktop connection - mstsc.exe) which is used to connect to the remote machine, to relay things like keyboard and mouse input to the cloud machine and to show you the remote machine's desktop in a window on your Mac.

I don't know if that is available for MacOS - probably you can find it in your AppStore.

One main uncertainty is if the MacOS version of this Remote Desktop client can handle audio devices on your Mac and transfer your voice to the remote machine so that Dragon has something to work with. Usually you have to configure your Remote Desktop client to transfer your microphone to the remote machine; this setting is off by default.

If all of this works, you will be able to use Dragon on the remote machine.

But there's a twist: You will ONLY be able to dictate into application ON THE REMOTE MACHINE as well! If you want your dictation in an application on your Mac you have to make sure the clipboard is being synched between your Mac and the remote Windows machine and then copy the text.

Oh, and another trap which will probably make you want to tear out your hairs is the different keyboard layout between Windows and Mac. Whenever you do anything on the remote machine you'll stumble over having to use different modifier keys than on your Mac. That's really a PITA getting used to.

hth

mav

03/02/2022 03:40 AM

Author Icon
LnDictating
Top-Tier Member

Thank you Mav for your reply. I will let you know if good things happen. My son makes the software for the people who make software to defend computers. I have no idea what he does, but he thinks this is possible. I will give him your warnings. Maybe he will give up before he starts at least for DNS. I would only make documents in the cloud and then send them to my Mac. I switch between a Mac and a PC keyboard all the time. It does not bother me.

-------------------------

MacDicate VXI TalkPro5 and  DNS Premium Win 8.1 Knowbrainer 2015 Travel TableMic

More capable on a Mac than on a PC.

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 456 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 456 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.