KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Latest versions of Parallels, Dragon professional and Windows 10 64: microphone unstable in VM
Topic Summary: Dragon Professional & Parallels - microphones unstable in VM
Created On: 05/02/2021 01:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 05/02/2021 01:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bernd

I am running Dragon in a Parallels VM on a MacBook pro 2019 with 16 GB RAM.
I remember that previous versions of Parallels, Dragon and Windows 10 seemed to be much more stable with regards to disconnecting/reconnecting the USB microphone, closing and opening the laptop lid, pausing or hibernating and then skill being able to dictate.
I even switched to the built in MacBook microphone to see if that would make it easier for the microphone to be recognised, no joy.
Windows and Dragon are the latest versions, Microsoft office is installed and not much else.
I have read and followed all parallels instruction/troubleshooting with regards to microphones, all to no avail.
Initially dictation is fine and then relatively quickly the microphone (USB or build in) is not recognised and mostly a restart of the VM is required. When the microphone is recognised recognition and transcription speed is excellent.

I do need the Mac for work, so switching to a Windows machine permanently will not be a solution.
Incidentally Dragon and windows 10 play together incredibly well on a Dell XPS I occasionally use when it comes to microphone disconnection/reconnection, hibernation and then flawless dictation without fail.
Very grateful for your thoughts.
Bernd

-------------------------
Bernd
 05/06/2021 11:31 AM

Author Icon
Bernd

Hi guys,
Judging from the deafening silence you are all in Dragon virtual machine heaven and might just be a little bit puzzled by my problem!
I'll be really grateful if you could share a brief synopsis of what works for you with Dragon in a virtual machine. Would be delighted to try other approaches.
Thank you all so much.
Kind regards
Bernd

-------------------------
Bernd
 05/07/2021 04:06 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

It seems to be more of a Parallels problem than a Dragon one.

Dragon only uses whatever microphone the underlying OS provides and if your Parallels loses the audio device at some time, there's nothing Dragon can to to bring it back.

Perhaps a parallels forum will be suited better?

I guess that (in combination with very few people using Dragon on a Mac) is the reason for the silence you experienced.

Regards,

mav

Statistics
32110 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 396 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 397 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.