KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Is manually telling Windows 10 to run Dragon with GPU acceleration clever or dumb
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/04/2021 04:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 02/04/2021 04:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Digital_ecologi..
Power Member

Hello. I'm running Dragon DPI 15.6 on a Dell Inspiron 7000 with an eighth generation I7 processor. I recently found an interesting windows setting in the graphics section, that forces applications to run with GPU acceleration. If my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce MX250, would manually assigning Dragon as one of the applications that uses GPU acceleration by default, improve performance? Or, since speech recognition isn't a graphical process, would this be pointless?

02/04/2021 09:52 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I suspect this indeed is pointless when it comes to Dragon. It could probably have an effect if you are working with video editors like Vegas, Filmora, Power Director etc. or photo editors (certainly if files are big), 3D editors, and particularly with gaming. 

-------------------------

Auto Box© Demo now available

02/16/2021 12:24 PM

Author Icon
Digital_ecologi..
Power Member

Thanks, after I posted, I realize the feature was so simple to enable, that it made sense to do an empirical test. What I actually found was kind of strange. Without any graphically intensive programs running, telling Dragon to run in high-performance GPU mode does seem to improve performance (although this could be a placebo effect). However, I have a tendency to run Dragon alongside some graphically intensive software (Zoomtext 2020 & QGIS). In those circumstances, it seemed like the performance of Dragon decreased from baseline. I suspect this is because Dragon then had to compete with the other software for the GPU.  So if you're using Dragon in the absence of graphically intensive programs, there might be a benefit. However, if you're running Dragon alongside graphically intensive software it doesn't make sense to run GPU accelerated Dragon.

02/16/2021 01:26 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

I wonder what Dragon is doing that benefits from GPU acceleration? Almost certainly not graphics. Possibly large block copies - although would have to be very large to overcome PCIe lossages.

Related: some of us find that using Nvidia RTX Voice - now NVIDIA Broadcast - for noise filtering helps quite a bit, as in the following thread:

Nvidia RTX Voice Software Noise Cancelling - OMG

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=34359&highlight_key=y&keyword1=RTX%20Voice

I would be surprised if Nuance is doing that sort of thing in Dragon already.

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
32134 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 459 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 459 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.