KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Computer recommendation for disability / DPI 15 latency?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2020 03:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Computer recommendation for disability / DPI 15 latency?   - Faubo - 12/10/2020 03:10 PM  
 Computer recommendation for disability / DPI 15 latency?   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/10/2020 06:32 PM  
 Computer recommendation for disability / DPI 15 latency?   - Faubo - 12/14/2020 01:40 PM  
 Computer recommendation for disability / DPI 15 latency?   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/14/2020 05:40 PM  
Keyword
 12/10/2020 03:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Faubo

Hello

I would really appreciate some help in identifying the right computer to buy for Dragon. I have tried reading through the technical recommendations on this forum but end up getting a bit confused!

I have a disability which means that I rely on Dragon for all typing and operating commands. I've been using DPI 15.3 for several years and have struggled with severe freezing/latency issues across a few different computers. I think this is due to CPU issues ( I have tried starting a new profile in case my profile was corrupt.) My work recently upgraded me to a (second-hand) Dell XPS 2-in-1 (I think the 2017 model) with Intel i7–7Y75 CPU @1.30 GHz and 16GB RAM. I have recently started using a speechware tablemike.

Whilst there has been some improvement, latency is still a major problem and my CPU is regularly maxed out at 100%. For work I use MS Word, Outlook, Excel, Adobe and Chrome (for some reason this is the only Internet browser my Dragon will work with and it devours CPU). I regularly need to have all applications open at the same time, often with multiple documents/tabs open. I have RSI guard running in the background and connect to a work network which uses Cylance Endpoint Security.

I need a touchscreen device and preferably something portable as I need to be able to switch between working from home and working in the office.

I am thinking of trying to get a Surface Pro 7, Intel Core i7-1065G7 @1.3 GHZ (with turbo boost), 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD but I am concerned that this still won't give me enough processing power and it's a lot of money to spend if it still doesn't improve matters! I understand the basic recommendation on the forum is for 2.2GHz. Is a lower base speed likely to mean my latency issues continue?

If so, can anyone recommend a touchscreen laptop (preferably not too heavy) which would offer the right processing power?

Thanks in advance for any help!

12/10/2020 06:32 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

We are not recommending a computer because we believe you already have more than enough. You might consider installing Windows but before doing anything else, start with a DPI 15.61 download w/Installation/User Guide (including details on fixing 3 dozen sandtraps) and… If you check the email, you will find a complimentary copy of KnowBrainer 2017 (w/2020 AI Commands). So how do you like the forum so far? It was a rhetorical question

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

12/14/2020 01:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Faubo

Hi Lunis

Thank you very much for this advice and for the KnowBrainer 2017  download! I've taken your advice and purchased the DPI 15.61 installation guide (I'm sure I'm not the first to grumble about this, but even when I check Dragon for updates it tells me 15.3 is the most recent edition!) and will work through the recommended steps. 

There are various other problems with my work computer, so think I will probably need to replace anyway, but good to know that the MS Surface should have more than enough capabilityif I go for that.

Thanks for your help!

12/14/2020 05:40 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Dragon's Check for Updates menu only checks for update patches. It doesn't check for full installations. Nuance will eventually release a patch that Ver. 15.3 should find but we would rather not wait until next year.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32134 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 488 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 489 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.