KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: USB headset works with 3.5mm round jack but fails with USB connector
Topic Summary: Windows will not recognize the microphone through the USB connector on reboot
Created On: 01/18/2022 08:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 01/18/2022 08:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Windows 10 and 11 will not recognize the microphone in my  USB headset combo after reboot. It can recognize the headphones/speaker part of that combo, but not the microphone. Thus, I had to unplug and plug the combo back in to get Windows to recognize the microphone. of course that screwed up SpeechStart and Dragon all the time. It was a giant hassle.

I have always wondered if plugging in a 3.5 mm jack into the TRRS headphone slot would solve some of these headset recognition problems. I RTFM again for the headset, and it turns out that the first part of the headset cable plugs into a little in-line switch affair for volume muting, and then proceeds to a USB male connector. It is possible to disconnect the volume and muting controls and just use the headset with the native 3.5 mm TRRS jack.

When I disconnected all microphones from the USB hubs, disconnected my headset from the USB in-line volume control, and plugged the headset into the little round 3.5 mm jack on the front of the computer, things started to work as they should.

I ordered an extension cord for a 4-pole TRRS 3.5mm cable so that I can reach from my computer to my head comfortably.

I don't know why the inline USB volume/muting control prevents Windows from recognizing the microphone, but it does. Anyhow, I have the first step in workable configuration up and working. I will play around with adding USB speakers later so that I don't have to wear the headphone all the time to hear stuff.

I am posting this for posterity to help me or other people if it happens to them.

-------------------------

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

01/18/2022 09:30 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We recommend against using any integrated sound system; 3.5 mm jack. You may acquire acceptable accuracy but unlikely ideal. This doesn't solve the problem which is what we recommend doing. Are you plugging your USB microphone into a direct USB port? This is rear ports on desktop computers (only) and any notebook USB port. NEVER use a splitter. We point this out in all of our USB microphone manuals. If you are already using a direct USB port, you may need to have your computer serviced. Direct USB ports should automatically be recognized when you boot Windows.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/20/2022 12:34 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Hi Lunis, thank you for your thoughts. I plugged the USB headset into all possible ports - the front panel, the USB 2.0 on the motherboard, the USB 3.1 on the motherboard, and through a couple of hubs. They all produced the same result - Windows wouldn't recognize the mic part of the headset. And I disabled the USB port-sleeping timeouts, etc. The problem with this headset is that it has a nice volume/mute control for the mic and earpieces, but the controller blocks windows from recognizing the mic at boot time. I'm current running the headset plugged in to the front panel sans the controller. Everything is working fine.

Everything works fine using a USB hub too, with the controller included, but I have to plug in the headset AFTER the boot is complete. It's such a hassle to do that. So I ordered a 3.5mm extension cord and will use the headset that way. (Haha, and I won't be getting my computer serviced - I built it! And I was an electronics tech too, back in the day... :-)

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

01/20/2022 08:04 AM

Nelson
Top-Tier Member

I have used a 3.5 mm microphone connector for decades with excellent results, but it requires an audio interface or a sound pod to connect to the USB port; otherwise, the recognition is poor or unavailable.  I have found that using any of the sound pods - like Andrea or SpeechWare - ensures near-perfect dictation.  I cannot tell from your profile whether you use a sound pod or not, but like Lunis I would recommend against using the 3.5 mm port alone.

DPI 15.61, Knowbrainer, VoiceComputer, Lenovo Thinkpad P50, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon, Sennheiser MD 431 II, Microtech Gefell MD 300, Sound Devices USBpre 2 and Sound Devices MixPre 3 - II.

01/20/2022 02:12 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Oops! We should have considered the following yesterday.

Are you using a speech recognition approved microphone or tried updating your USB soundcard driver? If you have already updated your soundcard driver, consider removing the update and going with Windows generic driver. This often works better. Having said that, most USB microphones, KnowBrainer approved or not, usually work.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/20/2022 05:10 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Hi Lunis and Nelson, agreed, my profile does not show that I use a soundcard. The truth is that I started out long ago with a Sennheiser MP3 mic and in-cable soundcard from Lunis many years ago. I still have the Sennheiser, but the foam quickly wore off it, the fit was uncomfortable, and I found no loss in accuracy moving to other microphones. In general, over many years, I have never had a significant problem with accuracy. I have tried a handful of lapel mics, headsets, and desk mics, all with about the same results. My most challenging experiment was standing at the crossroads of a busy highway through town and dictating into my little Olympus ME52 lapel mic into a recorder. Then I used the auto-transcription agent to generate text.

Then one day I read a comment from Lunis like (I paraphrase), "Whenever Dragon slows down, it's usually dealing with noise..." and read something from someone about looking in the Dragon recognition box to see recognition errors. That's where I learned to look for the frequency of ??? entries in the log to judge the quality and accuracy of recognition. Now, when I try a new mic or experiment, I check the log to "ask" Dragon, "Hey, what do you think of this new input method? Do you have trouble recognizing the words?" And if Dragon is saying, "??? ??? ???" I know the input method is not that good.

I have found that I get a minimum number of ??? signs if I wear a headset, even if my room is dead quiet and I have a nice desktop mic without feedback. The desktop mics pick up my keyboard typing and that can cause noise problems for Dragon. (Of course, I shouldn't be typing if I'm supposed to be using voice, but my setup is not good enough yet to go total voice.)

I should also say that both my recent machines have ASUS X570 motherboards and good cases, so I have never had audio problems using the case or motherboard USB or 3.5mm jacks or builtin audio boards.

Statistics
32285 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 490 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 490 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.