KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?
Topic Summary: Will it work if I use them both with separate USB ports?
Created On: 01/03/2022 07:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - andy t - 01/03/2022 07:09 AM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - PG LTU - 01/03/2022 01:26 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/03/2022 09:11 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - PG LTU - 01/03/2022 10:12 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - andy t - 01/05/2022 11:21 AM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - R. Wilke - 01/05/2022 12:05 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/05/2022 01:17 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - kkkwj - 01/05/2022 11:58 AM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - andy t - 01/06/2022 06:22 AM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - R. Wilke - 01/06/2022 01:14 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - andy t - 01/07/2022 07:28 AM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/07/2022 12:14 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - andy t - 01/07/2022 02:15 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/07/2022 05:46 PM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - andy t - 01/08/2022 05:11 AM  
 Will 2 identical microphones both work from the same USB port?   - andy t - 01/08/2022 08:44 AM  
Keyword
 01/03/2022 07:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

andy t
Advanced Member

For my microphone I have a Plantronics CS60 USB Wireless headset and have another, identical refurbished set that I haven’t used yet.  I know they do not make these microphones anymore but they suit my needs and work well enough for me.  I do not use it as a headset, I only use it with the earpiece around my ear.

I have the existing microphone plugged into its dedicated USB port on the left-hand side of the computer.  Am I right to assume that this microphone has always got to go into this USB port every time as its dedicated USB port for it to work? 

If I wanted to use the refurbished one, do I need to put this into a different USB port strictly, dedicated for use with that microphone only?  I’m assuming it won’t work if I put it directly into my old microphone’s USB port?

On the existing microphone earpiece when taken out of the charger, there is a green, flashing light.  This shows that the microphone earpiece is ready for use.  On the refurbished microphone, the earpiece when taken out of the charger, does not flash green.  There is no light there at all even if you press the dedicated button on the back of the earpiece that turns it on.  Is this because I have to reset the audio calibration and check microphone first?  Which do I do first and how do I go about this?

Do I also need to have a separate user profile for the new microphone different to that of the old microphone?

Thanks

-------------------------

andy t

| DPI 15.61 Professional | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit | Intel i7-6700T | 16GB RAM. | Plantronics CS60 USB Wireless Headset |

01/03/2022 01:26 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

I'd bet you have nothing to worry about with mics and USB ports. Same mics might show up the same, but they will be saved differently if accessed through different USB ports. It hardly makes any difference, and I would start with pulling the old one and plugging in the refurbed one right there. Or plug them each in to different USB ports and go to Choose Microphone... and try both. You might have to read training texts (rather, the mic enrollment text) to set the level, but just saying la la la is good enough once you tick that auto-gain option. Have fun (I really liked mine when it was my main mic and before it finally broke down).

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

01/03/2022 09:11 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

What PG said... But it sounds like your refurbished Plantronics CS 60 has a DOA battery and will not work. However, we believe you can replace this battery via Plantronics 800 544-4660

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/03/2022 10:12 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Ohh I remember that too - Thx, Lunis - yes, the battery needs to charge on the charger while it is plugged in (there is an optional ac adapter for that model IIR) and if there is no light after charging say 8 hours, you'll need a new battery in service call . . .

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

01/05/2022 11:21 AM

andy t
Advanced Member

Sorry, I gave you duff information. What I should have said is that the unit I bought is new and not refurbished. This is where I bought it:

YMAAOSwQv9h0bBQ">Plantronics CS60-USB Wireless Headband Headset with Power Adaptor | eBay

I seem to remember that each mic, even if they are identical that you still need to go through some training process and check
microphone. On the DragonBar, microphone tab, there are choices there.

1. Choose Microphone 2. Check Microphone & 3. Reset Audio Calibration.

Do I only need to choose option 1 for a new microphone being put into a dedicated USB port for the first time?
Will the text to train the microphone come up automatically once you have chosen it or do I have to click on
'Check Microphone?'

Lunis, what do you mean by DOA? I already had the mic within the charger plugged in for a couple of days.

What do you mean about the battery. This is a new unit so it will have a new battery already inside the headset.
I've also ordered 3 batteries to suit this mic as all I may need to do is replace the battery in the old set. The old
set works fine but it is not lasting as long throughout the day as it used to so it may be the battery needs replacing.

Please let me know what you think?

andy t

| DPI 15.61 Professional | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit | Intel i7-6700T | 16GB RAM. | Plantronics CS60 USB Wireless Headset |

01/05/2022 12:05 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I seem to remember that each mic, even if they are identical that you still need to go through some training process and check

microphone. On the DragonBar, microphone tab, there are choices there.

Andy,

Although I had been using the Plantronics CS 60 USB for a while, about fifteen years ago, I won't speak for it, but I can report positively that I have been using two units of both the Philips SpeechMike II and the SpeechMike Premium next to each other for many years, and exchanging them randomly never caused going anything beyond just plugging them into the same USB port.

Why don't you just give it a go?

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

01/05/2022 01:17 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

DOA stands for dead on arrival. Plantronics discontinued manufacturing this microphone at least 12 years ago and this means that the built-in battery and backup batteries are also minimally 12 years old. You could wind up with a permanently dead battery in any new unit because even though it hasn't been used, these batteries are so old that they may no longer function. It's not unusual for rechargeable batteries to fail after 8 years; even in nonuse. We are sitting on 36 rather expensive 3400 mWh rechargeable AA batteries that were all DOA.

If you are using an existing profile in the default settings, you do not have to run the Microphone Check. In fact, Dragon completely ignores the Microphone Check; unless you have disabled Automatically ajust the microphone level as I speak. You can skip steps #2 and #3. You may not even need to choose #1. In the group and medical versions of Dragon, you are never prompted to run the Microphone Check. We believe that this is something left over from Ver. 14 and DPI.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/05/2022 11:58 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

FYI, each time you use a different USB port, the system gives it a different name (USB-2, USB-3, etc) and SpeechStart wants a new training cycle and Dragon creates a new profile (new dictation source). It's a giant hassle. I've been going through that whole story with my new machine, trying to find a place where I can plug in my headset on the machine directly, on different USB ports on the back, on different USB ports on the powered USB hub, and so on.

Once I find a workable configuration I will go into Dragon and clean out all the extra dictation sources, etc.

UPDATE: I bought a USB extender cable and plugged my headset directly into the back of the computer. This worked well - the computer recognized it after boots and SpeechStart and Dragon did too. Yay! Previously, I had the headset plugged into a powered USB 3 hub, and the setup did not work after a boot. I had to unplug/replug the headset into the hub each time for the machine to recognize it.

My theory is that the headset recognition happens on the motherboard hubs early in the boot cycle when the powered hub is not yet recognized.

Oh yeah, and I found that I had to go into the hardware device settings and tell the machine NOT to power off the USB hubs during sleeping or idle times. That solved the USB headset timout issues.

LESSONS: Connect your headset straight to the machine. Disable the power saving features in the hardware device manager for USB ports.

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

01/06/2022 06:22 AM

andy t
Advanced Member

This is all excellent advice from everyone and it's all coming back to me now. It's been about 6-7 years since I have had to do this, that's how long and reliable this little mic has been in use for me. You can see why I'm so reluctant to change especially at the price it still is.

@PG
Yep, that's what I thought, just wanted it confirmed and you have done so.

@Kevin
Yes, you nudged my memory and by putting an identical mic into another USB port, will indeed give it a number. It will log as you say as something like, CS-60 USB 2. And you are correct about having to retrain everything again such as SpeechStart and Dragon. If I can avoid that, you are correct in saying it will save me a headache. I'm hoping a battery change will do the trick instead of changing the mic to the new one.

@Lunis
I know they have stopped making these mics but they are still out there as I have shown in a link I posted previously. As mentioned above, my existing one has lasted me years. It still works as I'm using it as we speak. It is just that it is not lasting throughout the day as long as it used to. They sell the batteries for the headset too and I have purchased 3 because they are so cheap. Thinking about it now, it may be just a case of me waiting for these batteries to come to replace the old one. I certainly can't grumble of how long the existing one has lasted but they don't last forever. By changing batteries, then I don't have to do anything regarding the choose microphone / new USB port scenario. And in theory, by changing the battery, the headset should last throughout the day longer. At least that's what I hope.

@Rüdiger
So, are you saying that when your SpeechMike ll ran out of battery power, you just swapped over to your Speech Mike Premium but in a separate USB port and not the same USB port? I think that is what you are saying. If this is the case and a new battery does not give me adequate power throughout the day, this would then be my next plan. I could then swap to my new mic and plug it into its new dedicated USB port.when my old mic battery power run out. I think that's what you do if I read you right Rüdiger?

Thank you all for your clear explanations. Makes perfect sense now.

andy t

01/06/2022 01:14 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

So, are you saying that when your SpeechMike ll ran out of battery power, you just swapped over to your Speech Mike Premium but in a separate USB port and not the same USB port? I think that is what you are saying.

Andy, no actually. Both SpeechMike microphones I have mentioned are wired and therefore no batteries are involved. All I've been meaning to say is that if you have two units of the same device, you can always swap them without any further ado as long as you plug them into the same USB port.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

01/07/2022 07:28 AM

andy t
Advanced Member

@RĂ¼diger

My headset is wireless (not wired) therefore it requires a battery in the headset. I thought that each mic had to have its own dedicated USB port. If for example, I put the new mic in the same USB port as the existing one that works, I would then need to choose microphone (and it would come up as something like CS 60 USB 2). I would then need to do some training with that mic for me to be able to use it.

I guess the easy way is to try it. Today, those batteries came in and I have changed the battery in the headset. If it lasts all day as it used to, then I may not need to do anything. I'm still intrigued by having another mic on standby to see what happens though so I will try that also.

andy t

01/07/2022 12:14 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: andy tI would then need to choose microphone (and it would come up as something like CS 60 USB 2). I would then need to do some training with that mic for me to be able to use it.

You may have to choose the appropriate microphone but you NEVER have to train as long as you are using your microphone in the default setting. You can run the Microphone Check but Dragon is going to ignore it. This is 1 of the advantages of the auto-gain feature which was introduced in Ver. 13 but not set as the default until Ver. 15 was released. You are making unnecessary work for yourself.

Once you have established 2 sound sources, even if they are the same, it doesn't matter if you're using the same USB port or a different port. Dragon is going to ask you to choose your sound system when you open a user profile.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/07/2022 02:15 PM

andy t
Advanced Member

So Lunis, if I take out my existing microphone that works in an existing USB port and plug the new one in the same port, you're saying that this microphone will also work?

andy t

01/07/2022 05:46 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Yes, without training

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/08/2022 05:11 AM

andy t
Advanced Member

Okay, thanks.

andy t

01/08/2022 08:44 AM

andy t
Advanced Member

Just to let everybody know, indeed it did work just by swapping each USB mic into the same USB port.  However, Lunis was spot-on and I did have to replace the battery in the new unit headset.  Thank you.

andy t

Statistics
32285 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 481 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 481 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.