New Samson Go Mic Connect   - dilligence - 12/09/2021 07:51 PM  
 New Samson Go Mic Connect   - xxtraloud - 12/10/2021 04:18 AM  
 New Samson Go Mic Connect   - dilligence - 12/10/2021 09:15 AM  
Keyword
 12/09/2021 04:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

xxtraloud
Top-Tier Member

I am still looking for a decent portable mic for my laptop that I don't wear on my head. I was going to buy the Go Mic but then noticed this new model with "with Focused Pattern Technology".

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/usb-microphones/gomicconnect/

The problem of my home office is that at times there are this single source of noise maybe from construction or from people in the other room and they set off the microphone slightly. I have now turned off autogain and things have improved but I also think it's due to my Logitech C930 webcam which probably doesn't have the best mic.

Has anyone had a chance to test this new Samson mic? Is this focused pattern technology a software thing or does the mic have an actual hyper-cardoid pattern?

In another thread Lunis mentioned that these days the quality of the mic is not as important as before.

-------------------------

Win 10 - DPI 15 - AT 8 pro + Andrea USB

12/09/2021 05:18 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The weakness of any TableMike is environmental noise. Because they are used over a distance, they are typically prone to picking up unwanted sound. The Samson Go Mic Connect includes no noise filtering, picks up higher frequencies (for music) and is stereo. All of these features work against Dragon. If speech recognition plays a major role in your computer time, consider purchasing microphone that is designed specifically for speech recognition rather than a jack of all trades. The SpeechWare TravelMike includes some noise filtering, auto EQ for the human speaking voice, easier to use (plugs directly into your USB port), can also be used on a desktop computer, includes a limited speaking range and is NOT stereo.

When it comes to speech recognition, the worst thing about most TableMikes is the extended range which are typically designed for music. These microphones can only work well in very quiet environments.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

12/09/2021 07:51 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Thanks for posting this, xxtraloud. I didn't know about this new Go Mic version. I've been using the "regular" Go Mic for years now and I'm very happy with it. It's the only desktop microphone that allows speaking at a very low volume. All other desktop microphones will sooner or later "not hear" you at some point (and then you really need to 'speak up' to get Dragon®'s attention again, which strains my voice).

In case you didn't watch it already. Here is my video Samson Go Mic With Dragon NaturallySpeaking 15

The new Go Mic Connect appears to be available here in the Netherlands for €64. That's slightly more expensive than the previous version. I am wondering though if the noise reduction only comes from the Sound Deck software. I purchased this (inexpensive) software a couple of years ago and indeed it adds some level of noise reduction. Very much like VST Noise Gate plug-ins do.

If the only real new feature is the fact that this microphone is stereo, then I suspect functionality with Dragon® will be similar (maybe less) compared to the previous version, not sure...

Anyway, the first microphone on my 'to test' list would be the Blue Yeti Nano.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

12/10/2021 04:18 AM

xxtraloud
Top-Tier Member

Thank you guys for the great responses. I need to rethink a bit my setup and these formation you provide are really useful. TravelMike seems like a great option but I'm currently unemployed and cannot afford such an expensive mic. I think one of the biggest issues is the gain control, there should be a setting within Dragon that keeps the gain at a chosen level. Once I disabled the auto gain things get better but then other software might change the gain setting in Windows. So basically every time I restart my computer I have to fiddle with the gain in Windows.

Part of failed recognition is also due to my accent which is not listed in the accents when setting up a profile. If I more conscious about my accent then I get very high accuracy.

The Yeti nano is an interesting microphone I would like to test but also the Rode usb mini. I was also a bit wary of the new Samson microphone being stereo, that does not seem to be a useful feature for speech recognition.

Win 10 - DPI 15 - AT 8 pro + Andrea USB

12/10/2021 09:15 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: xxtraloud  I think one of the biggest issues is the gain control, there should be a setting within Dragon that keeps the gain at a chosen level. Once I disabled the auto gain things get better but then other software might change the gain setting in Windows. So basically every time I restart my computer I have to fiddle with the gain in Windows.

This is exactly what Tom (SP 6 PRO programmer) ran into all the time and that's why he created SP Mike Level©. This handy utility (and 39 other productivity Dragon® add-ons) will be featured in the upcoming SP 7 PRO. 

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » New Samson Go Mic Connect

Statistics
32285 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 537 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 537 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.