KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Hissing noise and voice echo from Sennheiser MB-1 Pro UC
Topic Summary: Hissing noise and voice echo from Sennheiser MB-1 Pro UC
Created On: 09/15/2021 05:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Hissing noise and voice echo from Sennheiser MB-1 Pro UC   - tsupport - 09/15/2021 05:45 PM  
 Hissing noise and voice echo from Sennheiser MB-1 Pro UC   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/15/2021 07:44 PM  
 Hissing noise and voice echo from Sennheiser MB-1 Pro UC   - tsupport - 09/17/2021 04:25 PM  
 Hissing noise and voice echo from Sennheiser MB-1 Pro UC   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/17/2021 05:04 PM  
 Hissing noise and voice echo from Sennheiser MB-1 Pro UC   - dradzin - 10/06/2021 12:23 PM  
 Hissing noise and voice echo from Sennheiser MB-1 Pro UC   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/06/2021 01:51 PM  
Keyword
 09/15/2021 05:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tsupport

We have several MB-1/2 PRO UC mics. Younger users are reporting varying degrees of noise and voice echo feedback from these units. It is quite loud apparently, but it must be at a higher frequency that my older ears can't hear. Some headsets are worse than others and it was made worse after recent firmware upgrades. Tech support (Sennheiser apparently sold off this business) was not too helpful.

The environment is quite noisy (ceiling fans, talking, etc) and 6 users work in close proximty to eachother.

Is this a hardware issue or is it related to Dragon changing the sound? We are using DMPE4.

09/15/2021 07:44 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you're using Sennheiser MB Pro1/2 UC microphones, they are fairly old. These models were discontinued around 4 years ago. Sennheiser changed these microphones to Sennheiser MB Pro1 UC/ML and Sennheiser MB Pro2 UC/ML respectively. The ML models were designed for VoIP use but the engineers found a way to combine both features into the same microphone. 

The echo feedback sounds like out of date firmware but we are not certain about the noise. These microphones are fairly noise filtering but perhaps a little less than optimal in environments where, for example, multiple users are in close proximity. However, this might not be the best microphone for your end users. If you don't mind being tethered, you might consider the affordable Addasound line of wired microphones.

For extremely noisy environments, like 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. last January 6, we recommend the speakerless Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW microphone (w/KB PLUS PACK) with an appropriate USB soundcard.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

09/17/2021 04:25 PM

tsupport

Sorry Lunis, these are actually the EPOS MB Pro 1 UC/ML headsets and I've updated them to the latest firmware for the headsets and dongles. The white noise sound, I am told, is so pronounced that users can hear it in their ears even after they have not worn the headset for a while. What I described as an echo of their voice is in in fact what they describe as their voice sounding "hollow" and faint, fed back to the earpiece. Unfortunately I can't hear any of it.

It is almost as if the noise in the environment has caused the noise cancellation to over-compensate.

In this area wireless headsets are essential.
Thanks
 09/17/2021 05:04 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

This is odd but if no other solution presents itself, you can optionally turn off your computer sound output.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

10/06/2021 12:23 PM

Author Icon
dradzin

Lunis, do you still have a Microphone Comparison Guide? The link I'm finding in the forum https://www.knowbrainer.com/core/pages/miccompare.cfm isn't working. And I saw you are skeptical about Nuance's recommendations but can you point me to the page where they rank microphones if it still exists? Unfortunately I had the same problems described with the Senneheiser, awful white noise. I ended up with a Plantronics Savi but I'm trying to find current recommendations for a colleague who had problems with Plantronics. Thank you!
 10/06/2021 01:51 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Our Microphone Comparison Guide has been 86ed because it is nearly impossible to discern accuracy differences in the Dragon 15 speech engine. Comfort and noise filtering levels remain the same but those are detailed in each microphone add. Nuance microphone recommendations are extremely out of date and now completely useless. They really should remove their microphone comparisons because they only cover accuracy which is pretty much unnecessary. Nearly all decent speech recognition microphones work well in quiet environments; even some inexpen$ive consumer models.

We consider our Sennheiser Bluetooth microphones to be your best value wireless option at the moment but it may receive some competition from a “yet to be released” Addasound Bluetooth system with notably better noise filtering and high fidelity stereo speakers.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32168 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 377 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 378 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.