SoundTech gn USB2 v Speechware 3 in1   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/02/2021 11:46 AM  
 SoundTech gn USB2 v Speechware 3 in1   - SmegFirk - 07/02/2021 07:03 PM  
Keyword
 07/02/2021 08:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SmegFirk

Glad to see the site back up.

I am a tabletop microphone user and after my Buddy gooseneck bit the dust a couple years ago I asked for potential replacements. Lunis (and possibly others I can't remember without looking at my post history) said the Sound Tech GN USB 2 wouldn't be a bad shout and I have been using one for the last couple of years. Including the good old black electrical tape over the red lights lol.

It is still good but I'm wondering if it could be better. I have it maybe 6cm to 8cm from my mouth and sometimes I feel speaking slightly more quietly than normal and even occasionally from further away is better. Sometimes I have a TV on and it happily ignores it so that's good. I know it is hard to quantify but sometimes I feel it doesn't pick up things that I think it should. Likewise occasionally my breathing will produce the good old "please say that again" tooltip but having the TV on it happily ignores. If someone else is in the room and they talk it tries to listen to them. Why it ignores a television and tries to listen to a person is a mystery to me but I'm sure there are reasons, anyway I digress.

I'm always looking to try to improve things if I can and I notice that the Speechware 3 in 1 is on the site shop so it must have the KnowBrainer seal of approval. If someone was starting from nothing, or something terrible, and wanted a desktop microphone I'm guessing the 3 in 1 would be a no-brainer, but would it be an upgrade for me coming from the SoundTech?

07/02/2021 11:46 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The SoundTech GN-USB-2 has a great microphone element but because there is no noise filtering, it's really only ideally suited to quiet environments. Just because Dragon doesn't pop up the ??? doesn't mean that it isn't having to deal with noise. If your words take more than 1 or 2 seconds to hit the page, Dragon is likely having to deal with some noise which will impact your accuracy and speed. Speed deployment is very noticeable. You can test this theory by making your environment very quiet. We additionally believe Dragon's auto-gain is pumping up the SoundTech's input volume a little too much.

Unfortunately, Dragon's's auto-gain control default setting isn't ideally suited to SoundTech and a lot of other microphones  If you're going to stick with the SoundTech, we recommend disabling Dragon's auto-gain and running the Microphone Check. The Dragon 15 speech engine seems to be slightly more picky than the Dragon Ver. 2 - 14 engines.

Part of what makes the SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike more accurate is the built-in circuit board which includes some noise filtering and auto EQ. Dragon likes SpeechWare TableMikes and you shouldn't have to disable auto-gain. Keep in mind that SpeechWare microphones are designed specifically for speech recognition. Most microphones  are multipurpose (jack of all trades) and not necessarily speech recognition ideal. Even the older SpeechWare TableMikes work fine in Dragon 15 but if they hadn't, you can bet on SpeechWare implementing whatever changes were necessary to make Dragon happy

PS: Philips microphones are also designed specifically for speech recognition but a bit more expensive and probably not ideally suited to your dictation style.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/02/2021 07:03 PM

Author Icon
SmegFirk

Thanks for your thoughts. I have disabled the auto gain (found out how to in quick tips) and did the microphone check, reading that text on the screen until it was happy (it took until around half way through if that matters). So I will see how how it compares.

Statistics
32127 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 299 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 303 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.