KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Return to work, 2nd microphone
Topic Summary: Replicating/upgrading working from home setup?
Created On: 05/13/2021 10:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Return to work, 2nd microphone   - Chan123 - 05/13/2021 10:18 AM  
 Return to work, 2nd microphone   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/13/2021 12:03 PM  
 Return to work, 2nd microphone   - Chan123 - 05/14/2021 09:41 AM  
 Return to work, 2nd microphone   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/14/2021 11:47 AM  
 Return to work, 2nd microphone   - Chan123 - 05/14/2021 10:02 AM  
 Return to work, 2nd microphone   - Chan123 - 05/18/2021 03:56 PM  
 Return to work, 2nd microphone   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/18/2021 08:33 PM  
Keyword
 05/13/2021 10:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Chan123

I will soon be returning to my office (first time in over a year). Rather than carrying my existing headset with me on the commute, I thought of getting a 2nd one that I would just keep in my office. I've been using a Sennheiser ME3 headset together with the Buddy USB 6G for ~8 years. Should I get the same again? Or should I consider upgrading?

My ME3 works reasonable well. Maybe not 10/10 in terms of comfort but I'm used to wearing it for a full working day. Accuracy, I've never come close to 10/10. Maybe 6 or at best 7? I seem to perpetually need to create a new dictation profile every 6 months or so as accuracy degrades, then finally specific words are refused to be recognised altogether. As far as I'm aware, I've seen this in previous versions of Dragon. Not sure whether it's (just) my headset choice though.

In any case. Looking through previous posts, I have repeatedly seen the following 2 microphones been recommended:
The Sennheiser ME3-II model (available through the shop: https://shop.knowbrainer.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=116&idcategory=57)
I note that the Andrea PureAudio USB-MA is recommended also/instead, a bit cheaper than the Sennheiser:
http://shop.knowbrainer.com/store/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=410

I'm fairly open-minded as to the type of microphone, except it would have to be a headset (no desktop microphone, personal preference). I did try a Bluetooth headset (VXI parrot I believe) 8 years ago. However, the variable delay in processing recognitions rendered it unusable for me. Budgetwise, my Employer would probably cover costs up to the level of that ME3-II headset. I would consider forking out the cash (from my own pocket) for the Phillips SpeechOne if it pushed my accuracy up to 8 or 9 (out of 10).

I should add that the above issues (accuracy degradation, eventually failing specific words) is something I've seen consistently using DPI 15.3 both on my desktop machine and (in the last 12 months) the work laptop.

-------------------------

---

NatLink version: 4.1whiskey3
  DNS version: 15
  Python version: 27
  Windows Version: 10
Unimacro enabled
Vocola enabled

05/13/2021 12:03 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you like the look and feel of your Sennheiser ME3-II, it is hard to beat. It's very accurate and extremely noise filtering. We no longer sell this model because it is too difficult to adapt to an extension cord but this isn't an issue with the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW which is virtually identical in noise filtering and accuracy but costs a bit less and is a little more sensitive, which we prefer. The previous link also recommends and lower priced Andrea PureAudio USB soundcard which we prefer over the Buddy USB 7G. The 6G was retired but in our opinion, better than the 7G. The 7G incorporates 2 separate sound chips that have no advantage and struggle to power up. We discontinued the Buddy line because the 7G USB soundcards are unreliable with several microphones. You can tell they are struggling when they literally become nearly too hot to handle. We also didn't like the only way to reach the manufacturer was through emails. We understand that more and more companies are taking the no public phone number approach but smaller boutique companies should never take that path. In our opinion, the 2 most important boutique company features are easy accessibility and expertise. 

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/14/2021 09:41 AM

Author Icon
Chan123

Thank you Lunis, a fount of knowledge as ever.

I'd like to order myself the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW but the ~$35 shipping (to Europe) would never be accepted by my employer. I'm struggling to find anyone selling this model of the headset in Europe. Even their own website stock the XLR terminated (and similar, geared towards musicians) model instead. This is one of these cases where I feel I'm living on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

It seems easier to find the Sennheiser ME3-II though. Which I take it is a new iteration of the ME3? Which is the headset that I've been using for almost a decade. Are there any significant differences in terms of quality between the ME3 and the ME3-II? The design seems not to have changed much, judging by the pictures..

---

Unimacro enabled
Vocola enabled

05/14/2021 11:47 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

From a speech recognition point of view, we didn't notice any difference between the Sennheiser ME3 and the ME3 II. Keep in mind that adding an extension cord to the ME3 is very difficult and that we include an extension cord with the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW, which is difficult to find because it is designed for a generic belt pack transmitter, like the one that is included with Nady Systems. Bottom line: the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW is not  popular but perfect for speech recognition.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/14/2021 10:02 AM

Author Icon
Chan123

I forgot to add that I came across this comparison between the 2 headsets (Sennheiser versus Audio Technica)

https://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/ME3_vs_Pro%208HEmW.pdf

---

Unimacro enabled
Vocola enabled

05/18/2021 03:56 PM

Author Icon
Chan123

An update:
Couldn't find Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW anywhere, but searching for the ME3-II I came across a British vendor selling the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEX. After giving them a call, they had a look and they cannot locate anyone selling the Pro 8HEmW either. However, they offered to re-terminate the XLR plug of the Pro 8HEX. Effectively turning it into a 8HEmW headset. Even better news, my line manager is happy to order the headset.

Then my manager suggested: Why not get a XLR - 3.5 mm jack plug patch cable, as an alternative to re-terminating the headset. Question is, would going for the patch cable option degrade the signal quality? I.e. making it worse for speech recognition?

The vendor is called canford.co.uk, they supply audio, video, broadcast and theatres so I am confident they will do a good job if asked to re-terminate a cable.

---

Unimacro enabled
Vocola enabled

05/18/2021 08:33 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

As you know, the KnowBrainer website only deals in speech recognition. The Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW is manufactured for computer and speech recognition use. This model is difficult to source because all other Audio-Technica models are designed for musicians and sold by music stores. Getting to your question…

You will need an XLR to 3.5 mm adapter and also an appropriate audio extension cord. Our microphone comes ready for use. Adding an adapter and appropriate extension cord should work as well and not degrade your audio. The reason why we went for this specialized model is because the more adapters you add, the more that can go wrong. We prefer to leave as little to question as possible. It should also be noted that we are the company that introduced the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW to the speech recognition world.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Return to work, 2nd microphone

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 311 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 311 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.