KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: An opportunity to get a good microphone cheap
Topic Summary: Amigo discontinued and discounted
Created On: 03/11/2021 02:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 An opportunity to get a good microphone cheap   - ghostwriter - 03/11/2021 02:17 PM  
 An opportunity to get a good microphone cheap   - smeyer - 03/16/2021 08:32 AM  
 An opportunity to get a good microphone cheap   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/16/2021 11:16 PM  
 An opportunity to get a good microphone cheap   - ghostwriter - 03/16/2021 11:27 AM  
 An opportunity to get a good microphone cheap   - smeyer - 03/30/2021 12:16 PM  
 An opportunity to get a good microphone cheap   - ghostwriter - 03/31/2021 02:47 PM  
Keyword
 03/11/2021 02:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ghostwriter

I'm very happy with my amigo cobra microphones for dictating to Dragon. I bought two of them from Amazon for 40 bucks each, a few years ago. I was looking at eBay and found that there are a number of them for sale, the lowest-priced being $8.  I paid $10 including shipping for the one that arrived today.

The amigo cobra microphone looks to me to be an update of Buddy desktop many 7G (with filtered audio) which sells for $99.99 at the Buddy website and on Amazon.

The people that don't like this microphone are using it for other reasons than to dictate to Dragon so they're unhappy with the audio quality, but for us dictators we like a masterful microphone.

You will need to get within about 6 inches to a foot of the front of the microphone for it to work flawlessly, but it works with the vacuum cleaner going all other noises in the environment.

I checked with Lunis to see if I should post this message, first. I'm not a microphone vendor but just trying to help the community.

-------------------------

Member: International Institute of Not Doing Much

03/16/2021 08:32 AM

Author Icon
smeyer
Power Member

Is this microphone identical to the Buddy DesktopMini 7G microphone? They look the same except the price tag.
 03/16/2021 11:16 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: smeyer Is this microphone identical to the Buddy DesktopMini 7G microphone? They look the same except the price tag.

The DesktopMini 7G is a replacement for the Amigo Cobra but as far as being a good quality speech recognition microphone is concerned, without perks, it is.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

03/16/2021 11:27 AM

Author Icon
ghostwriter

I don't have the Buddy desktopMini7G all I can say is that I've been using the Amigo for a few years and they work very well. And on the base, it lists two websites: www.mybuddymic.com which appears to be a defunct website and www.insyncspeech.com.

The amigo is hardwired and the 7G has a detachable cord.

03/30/2021 12:16 PM

Author Icon
smeyer
Power Member

I could not resist trying this, purchased one.  It works well except it is much more sensitive to head position, makes mistakes if I turn my head a little bit away from the mircophone.  The speechware tablemike has no problem with varying my head position and is therefore more accurate for my workstyle.

I find the flexible arm of the Amigo is also too short, could use another six inches and a heavier base for better support.  It does recognize well if I can keep it positioned immediately alongside the keyboard but this cramps me a little.

It was worth a few bucks to find out.  The accuracy is very good when I am well positioned, frustrating though to keep so still after having used the Speechware TableMike.

03/31/2021 02:47 PM

Author Icon
ghostwriter

smeyer, Thanks for this. I agree the neck is a little too short but I have a motorized desk which solves that problem. An easy workaround is to put the microphone on the book or another object which will give you that extra few inches. I'm in a quiet room so I don't have to be exactly 4 or 5 inches from the microphone, but I don't want to be more than 2 feet away either. As per your suggestion, I'll look into improving the base in some aesthetically pleasing way.

In general, I'm wondering what the life expectancy of a microphone is. What tends to go wrong or deteriorates over time?

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 282 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 282 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.