KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Should I be making a new user profile every time I tested different microphone?
Topic Summary: Think I may have made a faux pas…
Created On: 01/31/2021 09:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 01/31/2021 09:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
brooklyn cabin
Top-Tier Member

Hi, I have been testing a couple new microphones to see what works best in my home/work environment. When I switch between microphones, I have been turning off my computer, switching out the USB connection, and then when Windows loads, I select the appropriate microphone under "Manage Dictation Sources."

This means that I have used a few different microphones under the same user profile (I have gone through the "Check Microphone" brief training each time I switch). Should I be using different user profiles for each microphone or will this not have negative effects on my profile?

Thank you.

01/31/2021 01:59 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Not really a "faux pas", because the "only" effect it has on your profile is to add more information to it, pertaining to each audio source you have added, and thus potentially bloating the profile eventually.

One way of getting rid of redundant sources information, for sources you don't use and need any longer, would be to run a utility of mine called DragonSources.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

01/31/2021 04:29 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you are running your Dragon 15 user profile in the default auto-gain setting, rebooting your computer is unnecessary. All you have to do is turn your Dragon microphone off, swap microphones, click the Choose Microphone menu (to show Dragon your new microphone) and you're done. Training is also a waste of time because it is rejected by the auto-gain control. You do not need to create a user profile with multiple sound sources unless you want to. This is only necessary when disabling Dragon's auto-gain control.

For example, if you have 2 analog microphones which feature very different characteristics, you can unplug your current analog microphone, from your USB soundcard and replace it without even turning Dragon's microphone off. Dragon will instantly adapt to the new microphone characteristics before the 1st word hits the proverbial page. This is why Nuance made auto-gain the default setting.

Auto-gain has been around since Ver. 13 but was hidden and unexplained. You could only find it under the Properties button of the Open User menu. Nuance even disguised the term “auto-gain” with a phrase we have forgotten. We are not certain why Nuance even included this feature other than waiting to find out if a few people would venture on this setting like we did.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

02/01/2021 07:15 PM

Author Icon
brooklyn cabin
Top-Tier Member

Thank you, Rudiger and Lunis.

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 321 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 321 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.