KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/28/2021 08:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - Daisy53RLL - 01/28/2021 08:22 AM  
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/28/2021 11:00 AM  
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - Daisy53RLL - 01/28/2021 08:09 PM  
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - kernman - 01/29/2021 09:58 AM  
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - mwarddoc - 02/02/2021 03:28 AM  
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - Ag - 02/02/2021 06:02 PM  
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - mwarddoc - 02/05/2021 04:04 AM  
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/05/2021 02:16 PM  
 Durability of Phillips SpeechOne Headset?   - mwarddoc - 02/16/2021 02:52 AM  
Keyword
 01/28/2021 08:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Daisy53RLL

Has anyone been using the Phillips SpeechOne Headset for a while now? I am debating on getting one but am curious about its durability.

I currently have an Addasound SR2821. Actually, I have had around 6 of them now because they seem to break every 6 months or so. Until it breaks it has worked well but I'm getting tired of replacing it so frequently.

I also tried a Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC/ML recently but had a lot of trouble with it and eventually returned it. It was interfering with my Bluetooth keyboard and the sound quality was awful to the point of coworkers complaining on a Zoom call when using the dongle. I eventually paired it without the dongle but still had issues with accuracy and a significant increase in strange issues with Dragon compared to the Addasound.

So the bottom line is I'm trying to figure out if the Phillips is worth it versus frequent replacement of the Addasound. Or if there are other suggestions those are appreciated as well. A wireless headset would be nice but more importantly I need something that works well and is comfortable since I use it extensively for work.

Thanks,

Rachel

01/28/2021 11:00 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The Addasound SR2821 was discontinued 2 or 3 years ago but the construction looked decent from our point of view. It was replaced with the Addasound Crystal SR2831 which features a larger high fidelity speaker but we are not certain about the construction. All we can tell you is that we have been selling these for about 2 years and had no returns. Like your SR2821,  all Addasound microphones include a 2 year manufacturer warranty.

We have tested but not heavily used the Philips SpeechOne. When it comes to construction, it is very rugged; as in the king of the hill. You can tell when you put it on because it is about 4 times heavier than other headsets. Our favorite SpeechOne comfort feature is that you can set the headset up so that only 2 small memory foam pads touch your head. This also keeps it off your ear. The accuracy is nearly as stunning as the high price, which appears to be it's only negative.

We haave heard of a few examples of an MB Pro 1 UC/ML interfering with the Bluetooth keyboard  but accuracy should have been eexcellent.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/28/2021 08:09 PM

Author Icon
Daisy53RLL

Thanks Lunis! To Addasound's credit they have been excellent about the warranty process. I sent 3 back under warranty but given the continued pattern I thought it prudent to explore other possibilities. I do like the Addasound except the need for frequent replacement.

01/29/2021 09:58 AM

Author Icon
kernman

I have been using The Phillips Speechone for over a year now. The durability is quite robust and the recognition is superior. The cost is a factor but if this is how you make your living it is well worth it in my opinion.
 02/02/2021 03:28 AM

Author Icon
mwarddoc
Advanced Member

I've got three of the MB Pro1 Headsets, they are quite good, and very durable. I did find the pressure on the ear problematic after using it a couple of hours a day, but began wearing a hat when I dictate and I velcro'd a foam pad inside the head set to hold it off my ear further, when I don't wear a hat, and that worked quite well, either method (hat or foam) work equally well.

My Speechmike Air 4000 is quite durable as well. It is a truly premium piece of equipment.

mwarddoc
 02/02/2021 06:02 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: mwarddoc I've got three of the MB Pro1 Headsets, they are quite good, and very durable.

Why three of the MB Pro 1 headsets?

(I have one,  and I'm reasonably happy, but I have been tempted to "upgrade" to something like the Phillips SpeechOne -  since as somebody else posted, this is how  I make my living,  and it would be worth the extra cost if it really is much better, reliable, durable, etc.   Last week I left my  Sennheiser MB Pro 1  headset behind at the coast.  I almost panicked and bought a second MB Pro 1,  calculating that it would be less expensive to purchase a second then it would be to drive back and forth. But I held off  in the hope of preserving my budget for something like the Phillips SpeechOne or comparable.  I endured a week of tripping over, stepping on, the cable for a wired USB headset.   I did not pull my laptop off the desk, but I came  darn close. I am surprised that I did not break the USB cable.  And I was not able to use my treadmill desk much, for fear of tripping over, stepping on, breaking, pulling my laptop onto the floor, etc.   For me, wireless works. )

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

02/05/2021 04:04 AM

Author Icon
mwarddoc
Advanced Member

I work at multiple locations (home, office, nursing home, dementia home, and another nursing home) I have one at home, one at the office, one in my backpack, I also carry a Sennheiser Presence for use if the noise is problematic at the dementia location I will switch to that or use my Phillips Speechmike Air 4000. I already carry a lot of crap from place to place, so I set myself up so that things like headsets can stay in place in certain locations.

I initially was just using the MB Pro 1's, but decided to pick up the Presence and see if it would be useful due to the noise cancelling.

Then, after waiting for over a year, and reading about the Phillips, I took the plunge and bought it because of the programmable buttons. It is better than all the others. The programmable buttons are programmed now to actuate certain commands in Epic, and I use it more than the other microphones now.

Is it that much better? Yeah, it is. Is it worth it? Yeah, it is. Gradually it has been replacing my use of the others, and I started taking it to the dementia center (I risking losing it because a patient could walk off with it and I had a power cord for my laptop disappear there a few years ago and it was never seen again, that was only a few dollars, so I may be on here lamenting my missing Speechmike 4000 in a few months).

"I endured a week of tripping over, stepping on, the cable for a wired USB headset." I had to use a wired headset again recently when I was in quarantine, yeah, that was a pain in the butt.

mwarddoc
 02/05/2021 02:16 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Have you considered adding Philips SpeechMike Premium Air Docking Stations to each computer? If you don't mind carrying your SpeechMike Premium 4000 to each workstation, you can just drop it into any of the charging cradles and there will pair up immediately. You can then use your microphone as a TableMike or hold it in your hand. When you get to the next workstation, just drop it in the cradle again. The cradles are also completely worthless by themselves and cost less than any of your other microphones.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

02/16/2021 02:52 AM

Author Icon
mwarddoc
Advanced Member

Actually, DMPE is only installed on my equipment, which I do all my dictations on, so I don't need any additional docking stations.

The native environment at the office is Dragon Medical 360 on our network and it is so slow that I'd never get my work done, and they are not going to install DMPE on any of our computers. So I go in each morning, set up my laptop, and go to work, only using the desktop in my office if I have to print something from a chart.

I use the Airbridge on the laptop outside the office.

IF my organization moves to Dragon Medical One, then we may find those cradles useful as long as there is a place to put them.

mwarddoc
Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 324 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 324 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.