KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: procedure for testing if microphone is still working
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/20/2020 01:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - aberk - 12/20/2020 01:48 PM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/20/2020 03:17 PM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - aberk - 03/26/2021 04:29 PM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/26/2021 05:10 PM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - aberk - 03/26/2021 06:50 PM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/26/2021 08:25 PM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - Scribe - 03/28/2021 08:57 AM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/28/2021 01:19 PM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - aberk - 05/02/2021 01:49 PM  
 procedure for testing if microphone is still working   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/02/2021 06:39 PM  
Keyword
 12/20/2020 01:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
aberk

Hi all,

For years, I have been using a Sennheiser 431 Pro mounted on an arm that puts it in front of my face. I have too much movement to keep a headset microphone on my head. The solution he has worked until now, when Dragon NaturallySpeaking suddenly started leaving out multiple words in phrases that I dictate. The purpose of this message is to learn how to test the microphone to see if it is the problem.

So far, I have taken the following steps:

Restored my profile with my original pristine copy

Purchased and installed a new XLR to 3.5 mm cable

Tried using Dragon NaturallySpeaking with the same profile on another computer

What are some good diagnostics I can run on the microphone itself?

Thank you.

12/20/2020 03:17 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Try dictating a sentence into DragonPad; possibly multiple times and then say play that back. This should identify the source of the problem; your microphone or Dragon. This Sennheiser model should last a very long time but things can go wrong. Fortunately you can have it serviced or consider going with a TableMike with a 10x longer range. The MD 431 II is extremely accurate and extremely noise filtering but it may no longer suit your use. We discontinue selling the Sennheiser MD 431 II, several years ago, because of its short range, the high price and clumsy handling.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

03/26/2021 04:29 PM

Author Icon
aberk

Thank you for your patience with my response. I did the test described above and found 2 things:

1. Dragon stops hearing words when I significantly raise the volume of my voice. I cannot always control the volume of my voice, so this is a common occurrence.

2. Occasionally, Dragon types part of utterance before I finish the entire phrase.

I never had either of these 2 problems happen before, but they are significantly decreasing my recognition accuracy. Any ideas on what is going on and how to fix it?

Thank you.
 03/26/2021 05:10 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The MD 431 II could be the problem in this instance. Assuming your Dragon user profile is running in the default setting, with auto-gain turned on, you might consider a long-range microphone that adds a 2nd layer of auto-gain. The Philips line of microphones and the SpeechWare TableMikes (not the headsets) include additional auto-gain.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

03/26/2021 06:50 PM

Author Icon
aberk

But why did the problem start now? I've been using the same microphone model for the last 15 years and never encountered these problems. What exactly is auto-gain?
 03/26/2021 08:25 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If your MD 431 II microphone worked well for 15 years, our previous answer may be incorrect. Drat!

The Dragon 15 speech engine and the 2 microphones we recommended automatically adjust your vocal volume input. You may have noticed that you can change out the current microphone without having to run the Microphone Check. DPI 15 only makes you run the Microphone Check when you create a new user but it is completely unnecessary. When you run Dragon the default auto-gain setting, running the Microphone Check is available but useless. Nuance never explained that it only works when you disable auto-gain. We believe the Dragon engineers simply forgot to remove this function which is not required in the Group and Medical versions of Dragon.

If you speak at a lower volume level or move away from the microphone, Dragon 15 and the previously mentioned microphones will compensate by increasing the volume input level. Auto-gain control has been around since cassette recorders in the 1970s. 

PS: Dragon 15 is already not gender specific but we expect Ver. 16 to be non-accent specific too. You will only have to select your regional spellings.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

03/28/2021 08:57 AM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

I wonder if it might help to move the slider on the Speed versus Accuracy control further toward accuracy. Dragon 15 responds extremely quickly at the Speed end of the slider. You might benefit from giving it a shade more time to process your utterances and adjust to your volume. I have no idea if this will work, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

03/28/2021 01:19 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

In our opinion Nuance never should have included the Speed vs. Accuracy slider. We suspect it was created, with the preset to Fastest Response, so that anyone using a substandard microphone would receive a fairly quick response but not necessarily accurate. When you move the accuracy slider to Most Accurate, while using a substandard sound system, your dictation could take several seconds to hit the page. Nuance's Fastest Response default can eliminate a lot of $upport calls. When using a proper sound system, moving the cursor to Most Accurate will not affect your speed but can increase your accuracy. This is 1 of 3 dozen sandtraps that we pictorially detail in our KnowBrainer Dragon Installation/Training Guide, which is complementary to our Dragon customers. If you already have this guide, download it again and go to page 11. We have added a few new settings to hopefully prevent Dragon from freezing.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/02/2021 01:49 PM

Author Icon
aberk

Thank everyone for their patience with my response. I've been following the KnowBrainer Dragon Installation Guide for years and have always set Dragon for most accurate dictation. I continue to have extremely low recognition. For example, it took me about 10 minutes to write this message. These problems are extremely frustrating and slowing my speed at my job. Can someone please help me fix these issues?

Thank you.
 05/02/2021 06:39 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

This really sounds like a sound system issue. There is a 99% chance that one of the following 3  answers will identify and/or fix the problem

1. Try opening DragonPad, dictate a few words, pause and say play that back. You are listing for anything that doesn't sound like it belongs, like interference.

2. If #1 doesn't work, remove the checkmark from Automatically ajust microphone level as I speak under the Choose a Microphone menu (under Manage Dictation Sources in DPI 15.61). You will need to rerun the Microphone Check

3. If #2 doesn't work, it's time to create a new user profile

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 390 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 393 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.