SpeechWare USB TableMike   - dilligence - 11/03/2020 12:18 PM  
 SpeechWare USB TableMike   - NegateDictates - 11/03/2020 08:43 PM  
 SpeechWare USB TableMike   - jmcvay - 10/24/2020 05:19 PM  
 SpeechWare USB TableMike   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/24/2020 06:52 PM  
Keyword
 10/23/2020 12:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stevember

This is not a review, just a simple observation from an excited user.

I've used Dragon speaking since version 3, before naturally speaking. I have used so many microphones, wireless, even the new Phillips SpeechOne.

Being paralysed I just wanted accuracy without the wires.

Buying, selling upgrading and changing microphones has eventually led me to SpeechWare USB TableMike.

I have now been using it for a couple weeks, and got over the initial wow this microphone is amazing placebo every time I buy a new microphone. I have a tendency to try a new microphone by speaking clearly, therefore every new microphone is amazing.

This was no different.

So, I decided to leave it a couple weeks before I shared my experience.

Apart from the obvious no wires, and the amazing option of dictating with no headset.

What is the accuracy like?

Now, like I said I always start brilliant, then I speed up and start mumbling my words and things start going downhill.

All I can say is that this microphone is different. After a couple weeks it is still like a brand-new microphone, and of course with the corrections to unique words it has improved. And the out-of-the-box brilliant accuracy is still there.

I can now say if you are after a desktop mic that is fast, accurate with a long arm look no further. Yes they are not cheap, but wow they are accurate.

Disclaimer: nothing will beat speaking clearly, naturally and without changing tone too much. That's still the best by far way to get accuracy. The best microphone in the world will not be accurate with mumbled speech.

With that said, this microphone is kicking ass even when I am in a Facebook battle when I should know better.

Now I can get on with my book!

10/24/2020 06:24 AM

Author Icon
Anandits

I am using the same microphone. After years of dictating to my computer I cannot stand even the lightest touch of a headset. I am semi-happy with it. I live/work in a very noisy environment and the microphone is not good in filtering out the background noise. That was a disappointment for me because I chose the microphone with the expectation - based on the promotion video in which someone was dictating speech into the microphone with a noise machine running at the same time - that it would be excellent in this matter. Since then I have read on this forum that the table Mike is not good for noise cancellation, but that is contrary to the promotion video in the KB shop. (At least to how I understood it - maybe it was wishful thinking.)
I have the 6 in one, so it also has speakers. This is helpful for videoconferencing, but the sound is quite tinny; I would have expected better sound quality.
Still, the microphone is better than any I had before, and not having to be physically attached to it is indeed wonderful.
 10/24/2020 02:03 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Now I can get on with my book!

Best of luck with it, either way. There is no doubt that the SpeechWare products are the best in industry, and simply worth every dime. However, keep in mind that once the placebo effect has worn off, cognitive dissonance may start kicking in, and therefore, please keep everyone updated.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

10/24/2020 03:45 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I am not so impressed with the TableMike. I think it is too expensive. Furthermore the relatively big prize raises in the 6in1 and 9in1 version (longer boom, additional USB ports, speaker and/or card reader do not seem to be completely justified in my opinion either.

Purchasing a separate card reader, USB hub (with power adapter) and a low-budget PC speaker set will give you better value and most definitely a better sound.

Speaking of sound, if you are including a built in speaker in a sensitive desktop microphone you should probably also offer the option to have the microphone turn off automatically upon playing sound (to not get unexpected results with Dragon).

Despite the more effective length of the boom in the 9n1 version I found it to not stand stable because of that boom length so I changed it for the 6in1 (I think the cheapest version should have at least that boom length).

I find the accuracy of the microphone to be very good initially but after pausing several times I really need to speak up to make it respond again.

Particularly the far field (green) setting produces a sound that may be good for Dragon recognition/accuracy, it's no good if you want to use the microphone for things like Skype, Screen recordings etc. as well because people will have a hard time understanding you. 

Although no longer sold (but you may still find a second hand version on Amazon for instance) the Samson Q1U USB microphone (price anywhere between $60 and $75 if I remember correctly) offered a much better value with at least the same accuracy. I suspect it's currently available successor the Q2U to be just as good.

Auto Box© Demo now available

11/03/2020 11:50 AM

Author Icon
NegateDictates

Originally posted by: dilligence  

Purchasing a separate card reader, USB hub (with power adapter) and a low-budget PC speaker set will give you better value and most definitely a better sound.

Any (complete) recommodations? I like your idea but I don't have a lot to spend. 

11/03/2020 12:18 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

An all-in-one hub (powered) like this would probably get you a long way:

https://www.amazon.com/QGeeM-Delivery-Compatible-Thunderbolt-Chromebook/dp/B07QXMNF1X/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Usb+Hub+plus+card+reader+power&qid=1604423505&sr=8-3

Combined with a stylish PC Speaker set like this (Creative usually has very good sound):

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Pebble-Black-Loudspeaker/dp/B0791H74NT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=PC+speaker&qid=1604423602&sr=8-3

Will set you back only $45. Not bad I think.

Auto Box© Demo now available

11/03/2020 08:43 PM

Author Icon
NegateDictates

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. 

10/24/2020 05:19 PM

Author Icon
jmcvay

I've used the SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike for several years now and have been nothing but pleased with it. I do have the advantage of working in a very quiet environment, however. The only problem I've noticed is that when my wife comes in my office and starts talking to me without giving me a chance to put the microphone to sleep, the microphone will pick up everything she says and Dragon will convert it to text.

With my current dual-monitor setup, the microphone is positioned about 18 inches from my mouth, and the accuracy is excellent. I for one have no need for a longer boom.

James McVay

10/24/2020 06:52 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The Big Haired Lady does the same thing to me. If you see her 1st, you can remedy the situation with the following KnowBrainer command which you can copy into Dragon:

Name:
Don't Shoot Me

Script:

Sub Main
TTSPlayString "honey when did you get released"
GoToSleep

End Sub

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » SpeechWare USB TableMike

Statistics
32171 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 619 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 626 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.