KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Bose Quiet Comfort 35 + is a separate sound card recommendation still relevant for today's laptops?
Topic Summary: Feedback on QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones II ?
Created On: 05/21/2020 01:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 05/21/2020 01:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
KateM

Has anyone used this model with success?  Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones II ?

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/quietcomfort-35-wireless-ii.html#reviews

The reviews/discussion here don't seem particularly encouraging.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/QC35-mic-picking-up-background-noise/td-p/35696/page/2

My on-ear headset is giving me grief with prolonged use, so I am looking at over-ear options and which will also be helpful for noise-cancelling in open environments....(although potentially that is N/A for the foreseeable future with Covid!)

A desk mic could be another option, but I am concerned about head-forward posture (which is already something I need to avoid).

Appreciate hearing if anyone has experience with DNS and the Bose model.

Thanks,

~Kate

-------------------------

~ Kate

05/21/2020 07:15 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We have tested the Bose QuietComfort 35 II, Bose 700 and Sennheiser Momentum. These 3 models have one thing in common.  Sound and microphone specs are fairly similar. While all 3 models are speech recognition OK, we suspect you are making a big mistake. The microphones lack any no noise filtering. The noise filtering only applies to your speakers. While you can pretty much silence a noisy environment, your microphones are still picking up everything. The only way you can use the QuietComfort 35 II is when you work in a very quiet environment. 

Speech recognition microphones are specialized and some are even specifically designed for speech recognition and VoIP only, like the SpeechWare line. High fidelity headsets major in music and minor in cell phone communications. Gaming headsets are a little lower quality than high fidelity headsets and while all 3 microphones work OK for VoIP applications, they all have one thing in common: None of them are ideally suited to speech recognition. If speech recognition plays a major role in your workflow, use the right tools. We listen to music through a Sennheiser HD 800 headset with no microphone, for a good reason. When we are not taking a phone call, we are under our headphones listening to music ranging from Gordon Lightfoot, Glenn Miller to Tchaikovsky. Yup folk rock, 60s acid rock, 40s big-band and Renaissance period classic. Our recommendation is to combine a dedicated speech recognition microphone with a separate dedicated headset for music. Don't try to find both capabilities built into a single headset. A jack of all trades is typically master of none. Cell phones are a good example.

Having to use a TableMike in a hunched position is a misnomer. You're just not using the right TableMike. Dragon 15 includes auto-gain control. SpeechWare TableMikes also include auto-gain which combines with Dragon to increase that distance. We use 3 32 inch monitors which look like a control center. Because of our lack of room, we have positioned a SpeechWare 9-in-1 over the top of the middle monitor. Our accuracy never drops when we look up, down or even face away from the microphone to view 1 of the monitors which surround us like the letter C. Because we work 10 to 14 hours a day, our chair came from 2danes and we had to practically wait for the tree to be cut down in Norway. It took 5 months just to get this chair but it's worth it. Since we live in this chair, it needs to recline and it does. Accuracy from 3 feet is stunning but if necessary, we can get away with dictating a few feet more. If you work in a quiet environment, there is nothing better than not having to pick up a headset, for dictation, and then take it off to answer the phone or grab a cup of tea that the Big Haired Lady refuses to bring to my office without a floating cigarette butt. She is a walking advertisement for Thunderbird, Pabst Blue Ribbon and filterless Camels but she loves cats. 

PS: On the rare occasion that we have to risk running with the maskless COVID-19 hillbilly heard, we use a Sennheiser Momentum (in your ear) which is designed for music and cell phone use. If you add a Bluetooth dongle to your computer, it will even work for speech recognition. While the Momentum headphones work OK in all 3 environments, OK is the keyword. 

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/22/2020 05:19 PM

Author Icon
mwarddoc
Advanced Member

I have tried the Bose Quiet Comfort 35's, and they do not work well, As Lunis points out, the microphone actually picks up too much in the background, the clarity is quite tremendous and anyone who has ever used them will be able to comment on that, and I thought perhaps it might be useful, particularly since they are quite comfortable to wear.

I bought a pair just to use on trips, when I was on an airplane, or in a car, and tried them out, but I could not get them to work as effectively as a voice recognition microphone.

My daughter had purchased a pair, and she was using them to talk with us across her cell phone, which is what led me to buy them for my trip, and it was exemplary of what can happen, with background noise, when she was talking to us and walking, you could actually tell what surface she was walking on.

Although I tested them out in a very quiet environment in my house, I think they were picking up even the noise from my computer, keyboard, rustling of papers, and the dog moving in the background.

mwarddoc
 05/23/2020 10:22 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

You know, I've tried the Sennheiser M3? from Lunis with external sound card, a Logitech desk mic, a Samson meteor desk mic, a Logitech headset, Lavalier mics, and a few different earbud setups. The one I like best and use now is a $9.97 (when I bought it) set of Klim earbuds. They are wired, light, sit OK in my ears, and don't pick up or trigger weird Dragon behaviors when I don't say anything until Dragon times out. Maybe they won't fit your ears, maybe you can't stand wired earbuds, and so on.

I'm the first to admit that my Samson Meteor desk mic is a WAY better mic than the little earbud mic. The Samson picks up everything (callers on the other end can hear terrible car traffic outside if I have the window open, for example). Dragon usually doesn't have too many problems with the Meteor mic except when I stop talking for a while. Then it tries to hear meaning in the background noise. In contrast, the cheap little Klim mic does very well with Dragon. Maybe it ignores the low-level noise or something. My point here is that probably everyone has to find a mic that works for them and their environment. Maybe a cheap mic will work fine (as in my configuration), if you're lucky.

I can say with certainty that my little $10 Klim earbuds with a $10 UGreen USB->CTIA earbud adaptor work better and are WAY more comfortable than the expensive Sennheiser mic/external USB sound card setup was (the pressure from the Senn wireframe hurt my head after a while). They are also better than the $60 Logitech foldable headset/mic combo (although it worked well, it was not comfortable.)

The most comfortable of all is my little Meteor mic, but Dragon can't handle the background noise the Meteor transmits when I stop speaking. So for my configuration, I use the Klim earbuds the most for Dragon and the Meteor for skype calls.

I think all you can do it try things out. I started with the expensive Senn/audio card setup, and went cheaper and cheaper. Now, ironically, I have the cheapest setup of all ($10 Klim, $10-15 Ugreen or TROND USB-CTIA adapters), with the most satisfying performance overall. Go figure. Good luck in your search!

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

05/23/2020 11:13 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

PS. For what it's worth, I just use the built-in array mics on my Lenovo laptop. They work fine while I'm sitting on the couch or whatever in my environment. I suspect they would have a problem if there was lots of background noise. But since it's an array (at least two mics), they can do some phase-shift noise cancelling internally. I have always found that my diction and closely-spaced vocabulary words have more impact on recognition than my microphone technology.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

05/23/2020 08:26 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Playing the devils advocate: We also have a Lenovo notebook and regularly use the built-in microphone because we only run it to support our DMPE 4 customers. We use DPG 15 on our main computer. We do some dictation on the Lenovo and found the built-in microphone to be very acceptable until we decided to perform a head-to-head test with several of our staple microphones. The Lenovo built-in mic scored between 96% and 97% accuracy. While this is acceptable, an Addasound wired headset, Sennheiser wireless headset and SpeechWare TableMike all scored between 98% and 99% accuracy. It's easy to be fooled by these types of scores because they are all acceptable but think about this: If you use the Lenovo integrated microphone 20 minutes a day, you might not notice the difference in a quiet environment. You can't beat the convenience either; not to mention having to give up 1 of those precious USB ports. However, if you use your Lenovo integrated microphone for 2 or more hours a day you're going to begin to feel the pain of 50% more misrecognitions which you will need to correct.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 315 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 316 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.