Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask
Topic Summary: Looking for microphone that does not disturb office coworkers
Created On: 04/23/2018 07:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - Brightsun - 04/23/2018 07:45 AM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - Chucker - 04/23/2018 12:12 PM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/23/2018 01:43 PM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - Brightsun - 04/24/2018 06:21 PM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - Scribe - 04/25/2018 10:37 AM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - Brightsun - 04/26/2018 04:49 PM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - SpeechWare - 05/18/2018 04:04 PM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - ericnixmd - 05/18/2018 10:46 PM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/19/2018 11:59 AM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - ReneeD - 05/29/2022 11:46 AM  
 Quiet Microphoone and Dragon Stenomask   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/29/2022 12:35 PM  
Keyword
 04/23/2018 07:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Brightsun

I am interested in using Dragon in a small office. Coworkers do ot want to hear Dragon commands all day long. I am considering getting a senographer mask such as one made by Martel Electronics. There are probably others.

Does anybody have experience using a stenographer microphone with Dragon?

04/23/2018 12:12 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

It'll work, but you won't be a happy camper for a lot of ergonomic reasons, primarily heat  and moisture from your breath. 

They are not particularly comfortable to either wear or use.

Chuck

-------------------------

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

04/23/2018 01:43 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Just adding a smidgen to Chuck Sage advice…

While stenographer mask microphones (cover your nose and mouth) are extremely quiet and won't disturb coworkers, they are expensive, difficult to use and feature less than desirable accuracy because of how you have to control your breathing. We can only recommend Martel or Sylencer stenographer mask microphones after exhausting all other options.

We recommend speaking softly into a hands-free USB microphone. Our preference, in this situation, is the speakerless FlexyMike DEC with a USB soundcard.

We used to work with programmers who originally heard all of our dictation but before the end of the 1st day, they learned to filter out my drivel and had no idea that I was even dictating. This is actually normal. I could've said that I killed my parents with an ax, which I actually said out loud in 2001, but didn't so much as get a chuckle because no one could hear me. All we're saying is you might be too concerned about a problem you don't necessarily have. If you already own a decent USB microphone, we recommend trying it before ordering a mask microphone.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/24/2018 06:21 PM

Brightsun

Thank you for your suggestions.
 04/25/2018 10:37 AM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

I understand your coworkers' reservations. If I am working on something that requires deep concentration, voices in the background are a big distraction. As I have wanted to be able to use Dragon in libraries and archives without disturbing others, I looked into steno mask possibilities about six months ago. I was looking specifically for hands-free mask technologies, as holding a mask up to my face would aggravate an old injury. Here are a few things I found, in case they would be of use to you.

This is a strap that allows you to use a mask hands free: https://talktech.com/shop/stenomask-store/hands-free-strap/.

This is another strap for hands-free use, designed for use with a mask brand called the SmartMic: https://www.etsy.com/listing/506283419/handsfree-gadget?ref=related-1

Here is a stand that holds either of two varieties of steno mask (Martell and TalkTech) for hands-free use (so that the mask doesn't have to be attached to your head): http://vocedit.com/product6.html

Hope this helps. I haven't tried any of these options yet, but if you do, I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

04/26/2018 04:49 PM

Brightsun

Thank you! Those accessories look good, particularly the stand.
 05/18/2018 04:04 PM

Author Icon
SpeechWare

We truly believe that our SpeechWare FlexyMike DEC + SpeechWare USB MultiAdapter will pick up the softest speech with maximum possible accuracy.

Since most of our resellers practice a satisfied or reimbursed kind of warantee immediately after purchasing, you are cordially invited to try and report back your results to the community...

SpeechWare Team

Windows 7, Intel  i7, 8 GB, USB TravelMike or SpeechWare USB MultiAdapter with FlexyMike Dual Ear

05/18/2018 10:46 PM

Author Icon
ericnixmd
Top-Tier Member

I too would be interested in a steno mask to use while in coffee shops or somewhere else that is quiet. I've yet to find one that has good recommendations and has a USB connection (without analog connector). Is anyone aware of one?
 05/19/2018 11:59 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

All stenomask microphones are analog but you can easily plug them into any USB soundcard. Unfortunately, the accuracy is somewhat miserable because of the forced unnatural restricted breathing. These microphones are about $300 and not returnable because the built-in filters collect saliva which would be unsanitary. That's the primary reason we don't carry them on our website. We prefer that  transcription specialty companies take the responsibility on these types of microphones. The 2 most popular models are Martel and Sylencer.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/29/2022 11:46 AM

Author Icon
ReneeD

Well I have bought the Martel Stenomask with usb. Does anyone have tips on how to improve speech recognition? It has not been a success so far. I have tried speaking louder, quieter, with and without my nose in the mask, different positions, without the protective pad and with it, with my breath held in to test it, more monotone...more pronunciation, made a new profile with DNS...still it has (crucial) mistakes in every few words.

I really wonder how people have made this work for them. I see youtube video's and other stuff with good recognition...
 05/29/2022 12:35 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

The problem is that you are having to dictate through a facemask rather than an open mic, which is considerably easier. Don't try to control your breathing, speak louder/quieter or remove the pad. Your stenomask works best as is. Stenomasks are not easy to use and all we can tell you is to speak naturally. Your breathing will be somewhat constricted but the most important factor is to relax as much as you can. You will probably never achieve optimum results but you should be able to obtain passable results. This is simply the nature of the beast.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32323 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 417 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 419 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.