KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Mic for the iPad Pro 2017
Topic Summary: Looking for a mic that would fit a work pattern much different that desktop dictation
Created On: 09/08/2017 06:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Mic for the iPad Pro 2017   - avinatbezeq - 09/08/2017 06:06 PM  
 Mic for the iPad Pro 2017   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/09/2017 05:00 PM  
 Mic for the iPad Pro 2017   - avinatbezeq - 09/09/2017 05:49 PM  
Keyword
 09/08/2017 06:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
avinatbezeq

Hi all,

Can a non-wired mic provide better speech recognition results than the built in mic on my iPad Pro 2017?

I do own the PRO8HE and the DPI15 on my Winodws PC, but I rarely use it because I find the mic uncomfortable (I hate how it puts pressure on my head) and I rarely use speech recognition on my PC (because DPI doesn't support Hebrew as yet).

On my iPhone (6s plus) and my iPad (pro 2017 2nd ed 12.9") I do use speech recognition, a lot, using the built in mic. However, the usage pattern is much different than dictation on the PC. It's not - "Put on the mic, dictate for a long time, take off the mic". It's "enter a google text search", shut up for a long time, dictate a short eMail, shut up for a long time, dictate a contact's phone number, shut up for a long time. I.e. spurts of short activity and then long periods of silence.

So, I'm looking for a mic that would match this usage pattern:

1. It should be very comfortable to wear.

2. It would be more accurate (i.e. provide better dictation results) than the iPad's and the iPhone's built in mics.

3. It should work transparently to the iPhone/Ipad: Whenever voice input is allowed when the mic isn't connected, voice input will also be allowed wehn the mic IS connected.

4. I would love it if I could use the same mic with both the iPad and the iPhone. Say I'm writing notes on my iPad and suddenly my iPhone rings. I'd like to be able to switch to the iPhone, have a voice conversation using the mic, and then return to the iPad.

5. Hands free operation.

So, any ideas?

Avi

09/09/2017 05:00 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

Although the iPad is priced higher than many notebook computers, in our opinion, it is only a high-priced toy. We won 3 iPads through our Dragon distributor and enjoy them but would never consider them for serious work, like answering your question. Your Windows PC set up is vastly superior. Assuming you are using your Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW microphone with an appropriate USB soundcard, you already have 1 of the best solutions; other than perhaps adding a Third-party Command Utility. Because we work in a quiet environment, we find TableMikes to be significantly more comfortable. We only have to toggle the Dragon microphone on. We don't like wearing headsets but have the luxury of working out of a quiet log cabin home office set back a quarter-mile in the woods where we can't see our nearest neighbor and that's how our neighbors like it.

We haven't had very good luck with wireless microphones on iPads or even USB soundcard converters so our best recommendation would be to locally source a iPad/iPhone Adapter  for your existing microphone. Keep in mind that your built-in iPad microphone is reasonable in a quiet environment but if you want to kick it up a notch and go hands-free/headset free, you might consider the SpeechWare TabletMike which is designed specifically for iPhones and iPads. We contributed to the design of this microphone for iPad speech recognition. Now to your questions:

1.  About as comfortable as it can get

2.  Yes 

3.  Yes to both questions

4.  Yes but you would have to unplug the TabletMike, unless you were additionally wearing headset speakers which would likely be too much trouble. Unplugging the TabletMike would be much easier and effective.

5.  Yes

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

09/09/2017 05:49 PM

Author Icon
avinatbezeq

Thank you very much for your detailed answer!

Re iPad, I think it's not a high-priced toy but an amzing learning mahcine, esp. the large screen pro one!

Thanks for the SpeechWare TabletMike. I wasn't aware of this product. The only downside seems to be that it forces you to use landscape mode.

Thanks!

Avi

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Mic for the iPad Pro 2017

Statistics
32285 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 393 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 393 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.