Blue Yeti vs SpeechWare TableMike   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/09/2021 07:16 PM  
 Blue Yeti vs SpeechWare TableMike   - Computertyro - 02/15/2021 06:46 PM  
 Blue Yeti vs SpeechWare TableMike   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/15/2021 07:20 PM  
Keyword
 07/20/2016 05:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Queries

I see from previous postings that your strongly recommend the TableMike 3-in-1 over the Yeti.

Nuance's compatiblity list gives 6 "dragons" to the Yeti, and only 5 for the TableMike. 

I'm not sure which to go for now...

(So far, I have been using DPI 14 with the Dragon Microphone app on an iPhone 6s, and have been quite happy with it.)

Thanks in advance.

07/20/2016 05:55 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Jonathan,

Pardon my French, but Nuance wouldn't know a good microphone if it jumped up and bit them in the butt. The TableMike far and exceeds the Blue Yeti in overall performance and accuracy.

I have two SpeechMatic USB MultiAdapter & USB TravelMike's and one SpeechWare 6-in-1. I wouldn't trade them for a Blue Yeti even if you gave me the winning Powerball ticket.

Chuck

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

-------------------------

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

07/20/2016 06:23 PM

Author Icon
Queries

Ha! I like your style. How do both compare with the iPhone 6s microphone (the only one I have experience with so far)?

Also, how do they compare with the Sennheiser MB Pro 2 UC - which I'm considering also - while a headset would be annoying for dictation it would serve other purposes.
 07/20/2016 07:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Smart phones have become jack of all trades cell phones, web browsers, digital recorders, calculators, pseudo-computers and even a wireless Dragon microphone but as you might suspect, a jack of all trades is typically master of none. That adage applies to the iPhone 6. We found the microphone to be more accurate than we expected but not good enough to make our recommendation list. Even if your iPhone 6 was ideally suited to speech recognition, how comfortable would you find having to hold your microphone for a couple of hours while you dictate?

By comparison, we found the Sennheiser MB Pro1 UC (mono speaker) and  Sennheiser MB Pro2 UC (stereo) Bluetooth headsets to be exemplary. The MB Pro1 is 1 of our personal favorites. Besides being Bluetooth wireless, you can use it on your cell phone and it includes a 15 hour battery that won't run out during your workday.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/20/2016 06:51 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

We concur with Chuck. Nuance does not specialize in microphone recommendations and performs very little testing. In our opinion, less than 50% of their recommendations match our test results. We also noticed that several questionable quality microphones and recorders, that come bundled with Dragon, all received a 6 Dragon rating that we simply couldn't verify. While you will find the SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike on our website, you will also find noticeably less expensive choices like the Sennheiser SC 30 CTRL USB headset. We only offer microphones that meet or exceed our standards. Every microphone on our website includes our endorsement and a how-to guide (how to set up/assemble your microphone and use it with Dragon). The Yeti simply didn't meet our minimum standards.

We don't just Beta test microphones. We also develop. Some of our designs are incorporated into the SpeechWare table mics like the Always On option.

PS: When you create a user profile for a the TableMike you should choose the Far Field user option. Nuance created the Far Field user profile for built-in notebook microphone use (something we recommend against) but there is no mention of obtaining better results using a Far Field user profile on a TableMike. Considering that Nuance created Far Field algorithms, you would think that they would minimally recommend it for TableMike use. From our point of view, the Nuance programmers are geniuses at speech recognition but microphones are simply not in their wheelhouse and we would prefer that they stick to their specialty and delete their microphone and digital recorder recommendations because a newbie could easily be misled.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/21/2016 10:32 AM

Author Icon
Queries

This has been really helpful. 

With the iPhone I was able to set it beside the keyboard rather than hold it.

That was handy which is why I'm now veering towards the TableMike rather than a headset.

Does the TableMike compare favourably, accuracy-wise, with the Sennheiser MB Pro? To what extent can you look away/up/down without compromising on accuracy? I don't want to have to sit bolt upright, facing forwards like a robot, as I need to read from paperwork etc.

I hope this will be my final question for you!

Thanks

07/21/2016 05:11 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We love TableMikes in reasonably quiet environments because no matter how comfortable your headset microphone is, you can't beat the comfort or the extra time it takes to put on and remove a headset. Wireless headsets have the advantage of being wireless which gives you mobility but most of the time we just need to be in front of our monitor anyway.

Comparing the Sennheiser MB Pro1 UC to the SpeechWare 3-in-1 is a bit like comparing apples to oranges in that they have varying strengths and weaknesses but from an accuracy point of view, we found both microphones are equal.

PS: If you haven't tried using a Far Field user profile on your iPhone 6, you probably haven't seen it at its best yet. A Far Field user profile will extend your iPhone 6 pickup distance which might make it easier to use. We don't believe your iPhone 6 is your best solution but if you're not using a Far Field user profile, you may not be seeing it at its best.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/22/2016 04:18 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Lunis,

You can't use the Far Field algorithm on an iPhone.

Chuck

"Man is the animal that intends to shoot himself out into interplanetary space, after having given up on the problem of an efficient way to get himself five miles to work and back each day." - Bill Vaughn

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

07/22/2016 05:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Thank you for the follow-up Chuck. This might explain why we were unsuccessful in creating a new Dictation Source with our iPhone 6 on our Far Field user profile.  

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

08/17/2016 03:34 PM

Author Icon
Queries

Just to finish this topic off, I ended up buying the SpeechWare TableMike 3-in-1 and am very happy with it. I learnt from another topic on this forum that it is not possible to use are far field algorithm unless your region is US/Canada, but I have been managing fine without. The microphone part of the TableMike is roughly a foot away when I dictate.
 07/22/2020 05:51 PM

Author Icon
andrewh

I hugely regret listening to the advice on this thread.

Based on this thread, I got the SpeechWare TableMike 9-in-1 a year ago. I've had to suffer through its terrible performance for the past year. I've had to endlessly troubleshoot, delete profiles, read advice on this forum, etc.--and still the performance was terrible.

Plus, Speechware's customer service never responded, which is frustrating for a product that costs $400.

Since the claims here were that Speechware was the best, I assumed that it was just that Dragon software sucks.

On a whim, I just bought a used Blue Yeti Nano on Amazon, for almost a quarter the price of the Speechware 9-in-1. It's like NIGHT AND DAY. Dragon actually WORKS now.

This might just be my experience, but I'd highly recommend anyone looking to buy the Speechware to buy from somewhere with a good return policy, and compare it to other mics like the Blue Yeti. Don't waste a year suffering through poor performance and constant troubleshooting like me.

(I'm using Dragon Professional 15, Windows 10, Surface Pro 4.)

Windows 7, Dragon Naturally 15 Professional Individual, TableMike 9-in-1

07/23/2020 11:00 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Our best guess is that you purchased your SpeechWare 9-in-1 from a jack of all trades nonprofessional reseller website. Many end-users make the mistake of purchasing Dragon software and speech recognition microphones from eBay/Amazon illegal resellers and wind up with pirated software and factory seconds. We believe your microphone simply defective and anyone who contacts us at support@knowbrainer.com receives a response within 24 hours and usually less than 2 hours. Warranty support/replacements are handled by orders@dwdist.com and we just sent you an email with the SpeechWare presidents private contact information. SpeechWare is not like most companies but when you purchase from jack of all trades resellers (master of none), you will typically receive substandard support and in this case you probably didn't save any coins because SpeechWare microphones are MAP priced.

PS: It's always possible that your original SpeechWare support email simply landed in your junk mail and you assume that they didn't respond to your request. This happens far more often than you might think. Of course we are only guessing on that last bit

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/23/2020 11:31 AM

Author Icon
andrewh

Thanks so much for the help!

Yes, I did purchase from Amazon (YBSales). Perhaps that was the problem.  Although I should note that I bought the Blue Yeti Nano from a well-reviewed Amazon 3rd-party seller too.  And, I bought the Blue Yeti Nano used.

I don't think SpeechWare's responses were sent to my Spam folder.  At least, I don't see any in my Spam folder.  But I'll reach out again and hope I have better luck this time.  

Windows 7, Dragon Naturally 15 Professional Individual, TableMike 9-in-1

01/29/2021 11:33 AM

Author Icon
sl6502

I first encountered KnowBrainer over 15 years ago and have been a customer as well. I respect their knowledge and have learned a lot from the forums, but my experience with Yeti mics differs from this thread. I do medical dictation all day every day at work, for over 15 years, using the Dragon engine, and have been through many mics. I used a previous model SpeechWare TableMike for years until it died and had a good experience with it. Last year I bought a full-sized Yeti as a desktop mic and it has been as good if not slightly better than my TableMike was. Subsequently I bought a Yeti Nano for easier transport to different locations and it is almost as good as the full-sized mic. I think the TableMike is a good mic, but in my experience the Yeti mics are excellent as well.

02/04/2021 03:37 PM

Author Icon
Computertyro

Here is my experience with the TableMike 3 and one: I read and dictated the above message into this message. Here it is: "I first encountered no-brainer over 15 years ago and have been customers well I respect the knowledge and I have learned a lot from the forms, my experience with yeti makes differs from this thread. I do medical dictation all day every day at work, for over 15 years, he's in the Dragon engine, and have been to many mics. I have used a previous model speech were TableMike for years until it died and had a good experience with it. Last year I bought a full-sized yeti as a desktop Mike it has been as good if not slightly better than my TableMike was. Subsequently I bought a yeti nano for easier transport to different locations and it is almost as good as the full-size Mike. I think the TableMike is a good Mike, but in my experience yeti mics are excellent as well."

That's County errors: 1 let's count the ) 2: TableMike 6 AND 3: oneof TableMike 6 in one. ("of" instead of "instead of") compounding areas just in these comments. 4: no-brainer instead of Knowbrainer(in my vocabulary which Dragon usually ignores) 5: "customers well" instead of a "customer as well" 6: forms instead of forums 7: makes instead of mics 7: "he's in" instead of "using" 8: "have been to" instead of" have been through" "speech where" is not spelt in my vocabulary so I will let this one slide :-) 9: "desktop Mike it has" instead of "desktop Mike and it has" (I notice Dragon misses joining words on occasion) "Mike" and "Mic" are pronounced the same so I am letting this slide.

Mistakes in a paragraph for a supposedly great great microphone (10: NOTHING entered first time I said" great microphone")
in Dragon, even the corrections need correcting. This is what I get so frustrated with Dragon and possibly this microphone. I am using Dragon version 15.61 and Windows 10 educational on an AMD have on 12 core processor so I have lots of processing power. I expect better. I will try the far field profile as suggested in a previous post and try this test again at a later date.

DPI 15.3, Windows 10 64 bit, 32 GB RAM, 2TB NVME
Ryzen9 3900x, 32GB RAM, USB 3-in-1 TableMike

02/09/2021 04:06 PM

Author Icon
Computertyro

Here is my experience using my sons yeti TableMike. No training, I just plugged it in and started using it. "I first encountered knowbrainer over 15 years ago and have been a customer as well. I respect their knowledge and have learned a lot from the forums, but my experience with 30 mics differs from this thread. I do medical dictation all day every day at work, for over 15 years, using the Dragon engine, and have been to many mics. I have used a previous model speech were TableMike for years until he died and had a good experience with it. Last year I bought a full-sized yeti as a desktop Mike and it has been as good if not slightly better than my TableMike was. Subsequently I bought a yeti nano for easy transport at different locations and it is almost as good as the full-size Mike. I think the TableMike is a good Mike, but in my experience yeti mics are excellent as well."
Let's count the errors: 1: "30 mics" instead of "yeti mics", 2: "need to many mics" 3: "need to many mics"of "been through many mics" (compound error), (I will let "speech wear" slide since it's not in my vocabulary) 4: "he died" instead of "it died", ("Mike instead of Mic" but it sounds the same so I will let it slide) 5: "to different locations" instead of "at different locations"
5 errors instead of 10 errors for the Speachware TableMike. I have just started using the yeti and have not fine-tuned it at all, so I can only assume the accuracy will get better. It is currently TWICE as accurate as the Speachware 3 and one TableMike is. The only downside is it is a bit more cumbersome to use since it is bigger.

02/09/2021 07:16 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Have you tried your 3-in-1 microphone in bluelight mode and greenlight mode? It can make a notable difference for some end-users

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

02/15/2021 06:46 PM

Author Icon
Computertyro

Thank you for your reply, Lunis.
I should mention my set up: in place of a sit stand desktop, I am using a monitor with an integrated keyboard/mouse platform and my TableMike sits right behind the keyboard. If I set things up so my eyes are 30 inches from the Monitor as per ergonomic recommendations, that places my mouth about 22 inches from the microphone. When I stand up I usually move the monitor closer so that the microphone is about 6 inches away from my face.
I usually use my 3-in-1 microphone in greenlight mode. I read the TableMike set up documentation at https://www.speechrecsolutions.com/assets/SpeechWare_TableMike_UserGuide.pdf and it got me thinking about monitoring my dictation with a pair of headphones in real time. I find that whether I use bluelight or greenlight mode, the volume changes with my distance from the microphone. I hunted around in the windows properties and see that there is a check box marked "AGC". Currently this is unchecked. Should I check it?
Also, I have found it in an attempt to make myself heard with fewer dropped joining words such as and it of etc., I have been talking louder than I should. This causes some distortion in the mic. No matter what I do, Dragon seems to drop joining words. Below I have included the sample text from the previous message and below that are the results with my TableMike in the bluelight mode and my mouth about 6 inches away from the microphone. Currently it is hard to speak in a normal volume, as I see mistakes while I speak I start to talk louder and louder. Anyways they are below. I had 5 mistakes using the bluelight mode, tying up with the yeti. I will have to try again in the greenlight mode. I am also going to test out a razor black shark Pro headset which I bought because it's supposed to have a clear microphone. The best solution for me in the past has been when I use the Sennheiser 506045 MB Pro2 wireless headset as recommended by the knowbrainer site. It worked great but I was under the mistaken impression I could also use it as a pair of headphones simultaneously with the microphone and listen to music in the background. This was not the case, it switch to some sort of communication mode which I think is defined by the Bluetooth protocol. It sounded like I was listening to a cheap radio when I enabled the microphone, but the headset sounded real good when I disabled the microphone. That headset eventually died.

PS: "select that" rarely seems to work. Instead it selects all the copies of "the".
I first encountered KnowBrainer over 15 years ago and have been a customer as well. I respect their knowledge and have learned a lot from the forums, but my experience with Yeti mics differs from this thread. I do medical dictation all day every day at work, for over 15 years, using the Dragon engine, and have been through many mics. I used a previous model SpeechWare TableMike for years until it died and had a good experience with it. Last year I bought a full-sized Yeti as a desktop mic and it has been as good if not slightly better than my TableMike was. Subsequently I bought a Yeti Nano for easier transport to different locations and it is almost as good as the full-sized mic. I think the TableMike is a good mic, but in my experience the Yeti mics are excellent as well.
I first encountered knowbrainer over 15 years ago and have been a customer as well. I respect 1: "the" knowledge and have learned a lot from the forums, but my experience with yeti 2: "makes" differs from this thread. I do medical dictation all day every day at work, for over 15 years, using the Dragon engine, have been through many mics. I used 3: "to" previous model Speachware TableMike for years until it 4: "dived" and had a good experience with it. Last year I bought a full-sized yeti as a desktop Mike and it has been as good if not slightly better than my TableMike was. Subsequently I bought a 5: "ND" nano for easier transport to different locations and (missing it, but this may have been my mistake) is almost as good as the full-sized Mike. I think the TableMike is a good Mike, but in my experience the yeti mics are excellent as well.

02/15/2021 07:20 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The 3-in-1 greenlight mode adds auto-gain, audio EQ and a smidgen of noise filtering but Dragon 15 also includes automatic gain control. If you wish to try eliminating all auto-gain control, switch the 3-in-1 to blue light mode and remove the checkmark from the Microphone Settings in your Dragon Manage Sound Devices. You shouldn't have to worry about Windows AGC setting.

A lot of things can go wrong with Dragon's select that command. Try substituting with select <dictation>.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Blue Yeti vs SpeechWare TableMike

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 304 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 305 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.