Philps premium LFH 3500 mic   - Marius - 06/12/2013 02:13 AM  
 Philps premium LFH 3500 mic   - snoekie - 06/12/2013 11:59 AM  
 Philps premium LFH 3500 mic   - pproulx - 07/03/2013 12:51 PM  
 Philps premium LFH 3500 mic   - pproulx - 07/03/2013 01:00 PM  
Keyword
 05/03/2013 03:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

snoekie

I have a problem in relation to this mic.  Initially it worked, on the buttons, but something happened recently, I am not sure what, 1 minute it was working fine on the buttons and then something occurred, probably when I was trying to transfer from the dictation box.

The problem is probably quite simple to resolve, I just do not know how.  Currently the buttons do not work, like starting and/or stopping the recording, although they will work on the keyboard stroke, for me F 11 (using WordPerfect 15).

When I press F 11, the light comes on, red light, and dictation is accurate.  I downloaded the latest firmware today, but I still have a problem.

The RAM memory is 16 gigabytes and the processor one of the faster Intel ones from last year.

I have listed the question here because this is not about selection of a microphone hardware problem, more its functionality.

Another thing that I have noted is that that sometimes on start-up of the computer, the microphone is in the icon tray and on other occasions merely the Dragon symbol.  The microphone symbol is also in the icon tray, currently there are 2 of them.  The trackball does work, but the fast forward/back "wing" buttons do not.

05/04/2013 02:24 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Please don't shoot us but we moved your topic to the microphone forum because the problem is the microphone; not your computer, WordPerfect or NaturallySpeaking.

Philips claims there is absolutely no problem with SpeechMike Premium LFH3500/3510 and they have never received a single complaint about their buttons failing to work after a certain period of time, even though we gave them a list of over 100 customers that have reported those problems to us. It's also interesting that Philips seems to be coming out with a new firmware update and a new application on an almost daily basis but AGAIN Philips has assured us that there is no problem and they would appreciate it if their thousands of customers would stop insisting otherwise. One might want to ponder Rüdiger's recent claim that “Philips makes phenomenal hardware but their software leaves a lot to be desired”. We haven't heard this much denial since Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky or for those of you who remember tricky Dick, “Halderman and Ehrlichman”.

According to your profile, you're using Dragon Professional. Until Philips actually comes up with a solution that works, we recommend copying our Refresh SpeechMike command (2nd post under the previous link).

Having said that, we absolutely adore the Philips SpeechMike Premium (LFH-3500) but we have gotten used to using the Refresh SpeechMike command once or twice a day.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

05/07/2013 08:41 PM

Author Icon
bmac
Top-Tier Member

I'm not sure if this is absolutely related to the problems described above, but I do think there is an issue with the PDCC.exe process.  In my case here's what happens:

Starting the computer up in the morning, everything works fine. But during the course of using DNS with various other pieces of software, something steps on PDCC. How do I know this? Because the record button on the 3500 stops functioning. It does not control the microphone. At this point I have to control the microphone through the microphone icon in the system tray.

But it can be fixed  -- but only temporarily.
1.  Open the task manager and kill the PDCC process.
2.  Unplug the USB cable from the microphone.
3.  Run the PDCC process again (I actually put a shortcut to this on my desktop just for this purpose).
4.  Plug in the USB cable to the microphone.

Now the microphone and all of its buttons will continue working.

The unfortunate thing is I have not yet been able to determine what other process steps on and corrupts the PDCC process.  I have a feeling though it is related to either Microsoft excel or Microsoft Word for some strange reason and it may even be related to the Natspeak addins in one or both of these programs. As a "oh by the way" – Windows 7 has been notified me a couple of times that Microsoft Outlook has has had to close abruptly due to the Natspeak addin and Windows wanted to know if I would like to disable it. I wonder if something like this is happening in the possible corruption of the PDCC process.

Just my thoughts. But this happens at least once if not twice per day where I have to reboot the microphone.

Bill
DPI 15.3, KB 2017, SpeechStart +, customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD, Philips SpeechMike Air 4000, Philips speech Mike 3500, SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike, MS Office 365 Professional and Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7

05/08/2013 05:04 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

bmac,

You shouldn't have to unplug the microphone. All that should be required is killing the PDCC process, from within the Task Manager and relaunching the Philips Device Control Center. Since you are using Dragon Pro, we recommend copying our Refresh SpeechMike command to automate the procedure. You'll find a step-by-step on creating this Advanced-Scripting command in the previous Philips SpeechMike thread. We just had to do this a few minutes ago when NaturallySpeaking crashed. It works like a charm!

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

05/07/2013 11:37 AM

snoekie

Thank you for that, Lunis.

Where do I put this, in the global commands?

I have downloaded the latest firmware, prior to the original posting, from Philips and that did nothing, minus 50 percent, to resolve the problem. It would appear that Philips have suddenly become hard of hearing, or incapable of reading, or if they can read, incapable of comprehending what they are reading.

To be able to dictate this, I needed to push the F 11 button on the keyboard and then the microphone light came on, but the buttons remain excess baggage.

As regards the microphone itself, I endorse your commendation, certainly vastly superior to the original speech Mike that I had, even with my "adaptation".
 05/07/2013 03:37 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We recommend making this command global because you never know what application you might be in when the little red LED light goes out.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

05/10/2013 09:04 PM

snoekie

Thanks all for the indicators. I post my experience in the hope it might trigger an idea, thus far not with Philips and their one quarter braincell.

I can only operate the mic now from the keyboard, the mic is stone dead otherwise, recording wise. The track ball works and to some of the wing keys.

In live mail, two short sentence, the mic remains on, but doesn't pick up sounds and put them on the screen, and Phillips are, in their wording (bad translation, but apt for a big company) irresponsible, they refer me onto the supplier (not Lunis who has been, as always, only helpful) who are sellers. I got it locally, and quite cheaply. Eventually it turns off, about 90 secs later, not having dumped their load on screen. In WP it keeps going. I cannot speak about, say 10 pages on, but then that was a Dragon problem. The supplier are sales people, not techies. Time they, Philips, put their senior people on it otherwise the will kill an otherwise accurate mic, and this from a long time user of their product(s). How to turn off customers from their other products!!!!

I uninstalled the software and reloaded the 2. something version firmware, previously I think I did the the 3 point something (about buttons) and shortly thereafter something happened, and it stopped responding to the handset, and now it is only the keyboard key that turns the mic on or off (reacts to voice commands, mic off, go to sleep. It doesn't always do the mic off play back.

I will be copying in Philips on this posting, even if only to register my disgust at their alleged support (virtually non existent). Perhaps now they will do a digital extraction and instead of smelling and licking, put their fingers to a better use, whilst engaging brain, and do some serious work in rectifying their defective software, essentially not fit for purpose (Sale of Goods Act).

At least on the "old" Philips mic you could assign key functions, until they abandoned the updating of the software.

Apart from the playback of "refreshing mic" and "done" (Lunis's software), sod all else happens. Clearly a problem, and down to Philips to rectify. Strong language, well for £160 +, I believe well justified.

The accuracy is quite, I repeat quite, good but it seems that I will have to dream up another award for Philips and their support, which is more like, "we got your money, take a hike", no support. Behaving like TalkTalk, and that is no compliment, I awarded them the singularly meritorious award, the Order of the Boot, they provided a sort of Broadband (somewhat slower than their competitors, when it works), when they can be bothered to press the right buttons to reinstate the broadband speed after their system has crashed or been taken off line for repairs (and which the Pacific support staff can be bothered to engage the 1/16nth brain cell they have- wasting many hours) and speeds of maybe 500 KBPS for weeks on end. I had to wake up the lowly brain cell. No service but they will gleefully dip their sticky fingers into your account and take money they not entitled to (and they acknowledged so) notwithstanding a warning not to do because the problem was their fault, but will they do so, of course, like the moon is made of blue cheese!

End of Rant.

05/11/2013 04:38 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Nice rant, but maybe a little too respectful if you ask me. Doesn't it fell as if you bought a new car which ever so often refuses to slow down and come to a hault when you put on the brakes, but without giving a warning first? - Perhaps it won't take too long, and Lunis might provide you with a working solution.

Rüdiger

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

05/11/2013 08:34 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

That's an interesting recommendation since Rüdiger is the genius who created a utility, that we've been testing over the last few days, and just might be the magic solution for keeping the keys on the SpeechMike Premium working.

Snoekie, we just emailed Rüdiger's utility to you. Give it a try and let us know if that helps.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

05/12/2013 12:06 AM

snoekie

Windows will not allow me to unzip it! How to work around that?
 05/12/2013 05:49 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Snoekie,

I will email you a new, probably even more efficient (at least taking up less memory space being unmanaged code and only containing the minimally required functions and direct calls into COM) version of the application.

Let's see if you can unzip and install this one. I assume Lunis provided you with the details of how to go about after running the installer. Please report back either way.

Rüdiger

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

05/13/2013 08:15 PM

snoekie

The workaround by Rudiger works well, but there is still the basic problem which I think is inherent in the Philips software in relation to the cessor of the function of the microphone, altogether.

This has occurred for me on several occasions in live mail, when replying to an email.  At a particular point something will happen which will shunt me to the end of the email, and everything ceases to function.  By everything, I mean everything, the microphone, buttons, even the key on the keyboard.

I suspect that the workaround for that will be that you either compose any reply to any live mail email in a separate window, perhaps clipboard, and then post to the email.

The workaround works excellently.  I suspect that the report that I have made to Philips, my recent posting seem to make them sit up and take note, may result in some action.  There is clearly a defect within the software, interacting with either DNS or perhaps live mail/both.  Interestingly, when I try and turn off the microphone in the dictation box, nothing happens.  Even on the key on the keyboard.

Clearly there is a weakness, which Philips has to address.  It is not as though the mic is cheap.  Good, but let down by the software, more likely the idjiots that wrote it.

A penny worth of tar?

As for the workaround for the refusal of Windows to allow a download, that is down to live mail.  You need to go to start, type in ‘live email’, choose the security tab and put it at it's lowest setting, download and open and then reset, after that, or the email or you will pick up a load of junk from the internet.  That will allow the download.

Not fully evaluated yet, but do not forget I am a software Luddite.  For example, I hit a problem after several paragraphs in the Dictation Box when the buttons assigned keyboard stroke developed total paralysis.

I posted my critique to Philips and got a very swift response,  Will they, won't they?

I had a total freeze trying to ‘transfer’ this, even a change of font, so whose software is causing the problem?  I do not think it is Rudiger’s.

05/16/2013 08:08 PM

Author Icon
DoctorA
Power Member

On my speechmike I applied the utility created by R Wilke, but that doesnt resolve my problem. My red light works but dragon doesnt turn green or if it does then it is not transcribing anything. But then when I close my EMR and open it up again everything works. But this only happens with the speechmike premium on 2 different machines. The problem does not happen with knowbrainer microphone, and it happens several times a day.

DNS 12.5 Pro, Windows 7 Pro, Asus I7-620M, RAM 12gb, Podiatry Vocab.

and Alienware I5-2430, DNS 12.5 Pro, 8gb RAM, Windows 7 Pro

Podiatric Physician

06/09/2013 07:29 PM

snoekie

I have been using the alteration proposed by Rudiger, quite successfully, but if I happen to be in an "alien" window, or dictating a reply to an email in Windows live, on using the stop button, the cursor shoots down to the bottom of the email page and I get a request as to whether or not I want to save the changes, not save the changes or to cancel it or if I happen to be in the dictation box of Dragon, it asked me if I am sure that I want to close the window.  So clearly there is an additional problem to be looked at and dealt with.

I am doing a detailed response to Philips (who appear to have sat up and taken notice) and I must apologise to all for the delay in responding.

Nevertheless, even with the alteration proposed by Rudiger, some of the main problems still remain, but at least if there is a reboot, it will come back firing on all cylinders, unlike the Philips software which is like the parrot at the bottom of the cage, dead.  Rudiger's change is a big help, but clearly a lot more work is required by Philips to iron out these problems, as these are clearly embedded in their base software.

If I am dictating in WordPerfect, and I do not do much dictation nowadays, it will go on for about half a page and then keel over, requiring a reboot to get it back.

06/12/2013 02:13 AM

Marius
Power Member

My two SpeechMikes Premiums 3500 do also suffer from sporadic freezing. According to my observations, this tends to happen when the microphone catches some background noise (e.g. from breathing or throat clearing) during the process of muting or unmuting (either by the respective button or by motion sensor). Maybe the internal noise cancelling algorithms are to blame.
Anyway, my workaround is simply to pull the usb plug from the microphone's lower end, wait two seconds and then replug. I just have to wait a few more seconds for Windows to re-detect the device, and everything is fine again (for the time being).

DNS 13 Legal (GER/ENG), Windows 8.1 Prof. 64-Bit, Office 2013 32-Bit, Philips SpeechMike Premium

06/12/2013 11:59 AM

snoekie

There is a most recent release resulting from my "rant". I haven't had a chance to evaluate yet.

http://spssupport.synology.me/PDCC_3_2_320_33.zip

07/03/2013 12:51 PM

Author Icon
pproulx

We just received an annoucement that Philips is releasing both a new firmware version (2.15) for the SpeechMike Premium as well as a new version (3.2 build 320.40) of the SpeechControl software (Philips Device Control Center).

Pascal Proulx | DNS Pro 12.5 French & English / Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) / 8 Gig RAM / Intel Core i7 M620 2.67 GHz / Philips SpeechMike Premium (LFH3500)

07/03/2013 01:00 PM

Author Icon
pproulx

SOLVED ISSUES
Following issue has been fixed in version 2.15 compared to the previous version.

SPEECHMIKE FREEZING

In some rare, intermittent cases the SpeechMike became irresponsible to buttons, slider and mouse commands. After extensive investigations we could identify a communication problem on the I2C bus within the device that stopped the SpeechMike to respond to buttons presses or trackball movements. This problem is fixed now.

KNOWN PROBLEMS

USB DETECTION PROBLEMS

We have recognized that in some rare cases USB devices stop working in Windows operating systems. This is independent from the used USB device and from the operating system. From our experience the reason is that Windows registry entries where the USB connection details are stored get corrupted.

Workaround 1: In case a Philips dictation device stops working disconnect the device from the USB port and reconnect it on a different USB port.

Workaround 2: If workaround 1 does not help we recommend using the freeware tool USBDeview by Nirsoft.

With this tool you can uninstall and remove USB devices of Philips Speech Processing from supported Microsoft Windows operating systems. The tool can be downloaded from following link:

For 32bit Windows: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip  
For 64bit Windows: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview-x64.zip  

ATTENTION: Speech Processing Solutions does not take any responsibility for using this tool.

USB 3.0 PORT DRIVER ISSUES

If the SpeechMike is plugged into a USB 3.0 port in some cases the communication of the PC with the SpeechMike is corrupted by the operating system USB drivers. Following workarounds are recommended:

Workaround 1: Crosscheck whether there are new USB Chipset drivers for the used operating system on the homepage of the USB chipset manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer of your PC.

Workaround 2: Use an external USB hub to which you connect the SpeechMike

Workaround 3: Connect the SpeechMike to a USB 2.0 port

Pascal Proulx | DNS Pro 12.5 French & English / Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) / 8 Gig RAM / Intel Core i7 M620 2.67 GHz / Philips SpeechMike Premium (LFH3500)

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Philps premium LFH 3500 mic

Statistics
31824 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 464 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 465 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.