KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Advice needed: Best simple digital recorder for Dragon Professional 15?
Topic Summary: Just need to dictate into recorder, plug in, and transcribe into Word
Created On: 07/29/2021 08:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 07/29/2021 08:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SLSmith

My old digital recorder has been stolen. I need to buy another. I do not need fancy features within it like editing transcripts before sending them to my laptop, playing a radio, using multiple channels, or having a vast memory. I do not want to have to study long explanations in a display to figure out what to do.

I want a recorder that's easy to use, has decent sound quality (so I can dictate while in a car without interference that challenges Dragon), and either does not need a special software interface program to transmit my words to Dragon & then to my documents, or comes complete with an interface that's easy to use. I don't care whether or not its batteries are rechargeable. 

I want to 1) dictate 20-50 paragraphs over a few days, 2) attach a cord to connect the recorder to my laptop, and 3) click something to make my words start to appear in a Word file I select. Then, using Dragon within Word, I use voice commands to edit each paragraph. Once I've save the document, I delete the recorder's files, keep carrying it around, and make more notes as needed. (Of course, I later copy/paste my notes into other documents where they belong.)

I'd rather pay $100 than $300+. My old recorder was a Sony, so a new Sony would be fine; but it appears that Dragon no longer works with Sony digital recorders (is that true?).

I've studied lists of available digital recorders, and find them baffling. Hope you can give me some advice. Thanks in advance!  

-------------------------
SLSmith

07/29/2021 08:30 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If we understand your question correctly, it sounds like you would prefer a combination of the next 2 criteria.

#1 If you are looking for the best possible accuracy you will want a digital recorder that utilizes DS2 algorithms. Only a few models, which are made by Olympus and Philips, meet this benchmark and that's why we don't sell any other brand or models.

#2 Lowest price

Including these considerations, we would recommend the Olympus DS-2600 or the Philips DPM-6000  digital recorders. Also keep in mind that you should only purchase from resellers that include real support because manufacturer support, like Nuance outsourced support, is dismal.

Additional notes:

1. No recorder includes a great built-in speaker. The built-in speakers will cover your needs but not much more.

2. Forget about bundled or having to lease a digital recorder utility because it's unnecessary. You can use Dragon's AutoTranscribe Folder utility to transcribe your files while they are on the recorder or after they have been transferred to your computer. We use a Olympus DS-9500 digital recorder because Olympus expects us to do so. The DS-9500 is so cool that it can automatically download and transcribe our files when we come within range of our Wi-Fi. As awesome as that sounds, we don't use that capability or the accompanying Dictation Module utility. We use Dragon's AutoTranscribe folder which runs all the time so the process is automatic. You can use Dragon's AutoTranscribe Folder Agent with pretty much any recorder.

3. If you want the highest accuracy, you're going to have to plunk down $249 but even a $79 recorder or your cell phone should produce OK ('acceptable' see previous link) quality.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/30/2021 10:26 AM

Author Icon
SLSmith

Thank you for the information. If I understand correctly, you're suggesting two excellent digital recorders (Phillips & Olympus) within a certain price range, and another (an Olympus that's more expensive); and you additoonally state that I could use just about any less expensive digital recorder if I wish.

But I was under the impression that Dragon no longer works with certain types of recorders, for example Sony. Is this not the case? If I bought an inexpensive new Sony, would Dragon cooperate with it?

Also: Could you give me a quick run-down on how to use my Samsung smartphone instead? It's a Galaxy J7 Aura. 

TIA

SLSmith
 07/30/2021 11:41 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

While you are likely to obtain the best results with the DPM 6000 on up and DS-2600 on up, the DS-9500 and DPM 8000 (flagships) are not more accurate; just more professionally user-friendly.

Having said that, nearly any digital recorder, including Sony, will be acceptable; but not quite as good. You just have to choose a compatible Dragon supported audio format which includes .wav, .mp3, .WMA, .DSS, .DS2 and .M4a. Sampling rates are minimally 16 K. Sony's default audio format is proprietary and in our opinion, just stupid. Sony loves to do this kind of crap but it backfired in this case.

We can't give you Samsung cell phone instructions because we play on the iPhone team but just Google “How to transfer your cell phone recordings to your computer”. You will find pictorial details on setting up Dragon's AutoTranscribe Folder Agent in our Ver. 10 - 15 KnowBrainer Dragon Installation/Training Guide which is complementary to our Dragon customers

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/30/2021 04:28 PM

Author Icon
SLSmith

Thank you very much. I'll make my decision soon, thanks to your suggestions and advice.

SLSmith
 07/30/2021 12:32 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

On my android cellphone an app called "Philips voice recorder" by Speech Processing Solutions GmbH does the trick for many years now. It is sort of set up to have you send transcriptions in to a pay service, but you do not need to do that, and the Dragon auto transcribe utility and it are great pals.

Info
https://www.dictation.philips.com/products/mobile-dictation/voice-recorder-app-lfh7400/

Free app
Philips voice recorder - Apps on Google Play

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

07/30/2021 04:29 PM

Author Icon
SLSmith

Thank you very much! I'll soon be deciding what to do, far more informed than I was before.  

SLSmith
Statistics
32213 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 368 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 370 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.