KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Acceptable WAV file formats for Dragon Individual Proffessional Transcription?
Topic Summary: Using Zoom H4N and/or Voice Recorder Pro app to capture dictation
Created On: 08/11/2018 03:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 08/11/2018 03:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mdwecht

I have been attempting to get Dragon's transcription tool to accept a WAV file from the recorders I am using. It complains that the WAV file format is invalid and that the minimum rate expected is 16kHz. I have walked backwards with mono recording with from sample rates from 48K to 11.025K with bit depth from 24bits to 8bits on both the Voice Recorder Pro app and the Zoom H4N. Is there something I am missing? I have had success only by converting the WAV files to mp3 formats. I sure would like to lose that intermediate step. I could configure the apps to output in mp3 format but I thought the goal was to provide Dragon with the highest quality possible. I am also transcribing podcasts and do not want to degrade the recording quality.

08/11/2018 04:39 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

We feel obligated to note that not all digital recorders are ideally suited to Dragon but most digital recorders will work.

Dragon has very specific requirements which you will find in the DragonBar Help menu. Supported formats include.wav,.mp3,.WMA,.DSS,.DS2 and .M4A; .DS2 is preferable. Your recordings require a minimum sampling rate of 16 kHz monophonic. Do not attempt to transcribe stereo recordings.

Note that Dragon includes 2 options for transcribing a recording. The obvious menu approach is Dragon recommended but we find it to be a pain in the butt. We prefer setting up the AutoTranscribe Folder Agent so that you can USB connect your recorder and walk away; no nags or questions. Transcription is automatic. This is 1 of the reasons we created the KnowBrainer Dragon Installation/Training Guide which is complementary to our customers. This manual includes instructions on setting up the AutoTranscribe Folder Agent, beginners, intermediate, advanced training and pictorial details on avoiding 36 Dragon sand traps.

PS: The Zoom line of digital recorders are some of the worst digital recorders we have tested for Dragon transcription and the entire line failed to meet our minimum standards. While the Zoom H4N is well-suited to recording a live concert, the dual and quad microphone settings are miserable for transcribing digital recordings. You can use your Zoom H4N as a TableMike in Dragon 15 but Dragon doesn't really like Voice Array designs for transcription. Most microphones, soundcards and recorders that are designed for music simply do not work well for Dragon. This is an apples vs bananas situation (quoting CNN)

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

08/11/2018 05:18 PM

Author Icon
mdwecht

I appreciate the quick response and the information on the Zoom recorder. I would like to use any device and/or app to record dictation or podcasts. My question again is: regardless of what device or app I use what WAV file formats will Dragon software accept?
 08/11/2018 05:52 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Try WMA 16 kb 22.5 kHz Mono but note that qualified digital recorders additionally include utilities to interface with Dragon. Zoom recorders do not include these utilities because they are not designed for this purpose.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

08/11/2018 05:41 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

So you mean that you didn't get a real answer, despite all the spam you were given? (Ha ha)

The required format is: Mono, 16 kHz or higher, 16-bit PCM.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
32358 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 454 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 454 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.