KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Unwitting Solution to "Running" Dragon on Mac
Topic Summary: I accidentally found a way to get the benefits of Dragon without having to use a virtual machine...
Created On: 09/23/2022 12:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Unwitting Solution to "Running" Dragon on Mac   - adriancobon - 09/23/2022 12:21 PM  
Keyword
 09/23/2022 12:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
adriancobon

I have been using Dragon Professional since 2014 and depend on it to get my work done. My preferred operating system is MacOS and I am quite happy running an M1 Mac Mini. However, getting Dragon Pro 15.61 to play nice in a virtual machine running Windows 11 has been... well, I am certain many seasoned Mac users can fill in the blank with any number of interesting turns of phrases.

To compensate for that I have been using an older but still quite servicable Windows 10 PC with a dedicated microphone. I login using RDP and just dictate away. From there, the copy is saved to a shared folder and I go about using my writing and editing software on the platform I am most comfortable with.

The problem is that using a remote connection made dealing with complex pieces of media difficult, if not impossible. I had to find a better solution.

I finally settled on transcription, using the automated tool that comes with the professional version of Dragon. My profile was already getting 99.99% accuracy for most of my commercial work, so as long as I used the same microphone it stood to reason that I would get the same results. 

I set the transcription agent to automatically transcribe anything put into one folder on my shared drive and dump it into a second folder. Then I moved the microphone over to my Mac Mini and got to work.

It is a bit strange to not see my work in realtime, but it has helped me free up my creativity a bit by not being able to second guess myself during the inital draft. I use the Voice Memos app on the desktop, copy the file over to the dedicated folder, and come back a few minutes later to find a document ready for editing. 

It has worked perfectly. Since it is using the same profile I used previously, I can always move the mic back over and add custom words as needed. So no stress.

I am posting this in case someone else on here is/was in my boat. 

Statistics
32389 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 317 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 317 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.