KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The value of upgrading from Dragon 13
Topic Summary: Money is an issue, how much better are new versions
Created On: 05/18/2022 10:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - Mark Rosenberg - 05/18/2022 10:46 AM  
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - Alan Cantor - 05/18/2022 11:34 AM  
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - R. Wilke - 05/18/2022 12:34 PM  
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - Alan Cantor - 05/18/2022 06:03 PM  
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/18/2022 12:47 PM  
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - monkey8 - 05/18/2022 01:25 PM  
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - Mark Rosenberg - 05/18/2022 09:14 PM  
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - oliebol - 05/23/2022 05:22 PM  
 The value of upgrading from Dragon 13   - Alan Cantor - 05/23/2022 05:35 PM  
Keyword
 05/18/2022 10:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mark Rosenberg

Reviews say that new versions of Dragon can perform at about 99%. Is that accurate? It takes me a good bit longer to create a document with dictation in part because of how it is easier to type a document naturally. Mistakes and accuracy with Dragon 13 are an issue. I am thinking of trying to make some income to supplement my disability insurance payments from SSDI by writing content. I would imagine that I would go at about 1 1/2 hours where somebody else who was just typing would create same document easily in about an hour. I am currently using Dragon 13. Is Dragon 15 that much better or does it just have new work features like dictating directly to Facebook and twitter? Is it worth waiting for Dragon 16? Any ideas when that would come out if it is worth waiting for? I have been using Dragon for many years and still find the process of creating prose by dictation more difficult than by typing before severe tendinitis. Still, if Dragon is significantly more accurate or will be significantly more accurate with version 16 I would be willing to invest potentially. I use Dragon home edition with a good microphone and good memory. 

05/18/2022 11:34 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Hi Mark,

Dragon 15 is slightly more accurate than Dragon 13, but I don't think the difference is significant. If you currently achieve 90% accuracy, it probably won't increase to 99%.

A more persuasive reason to upgrade to Version 15 is that the newer version is more likely to be compatible with the operating systems and applications you use in 2022, rather than the ones that were available in 2013. (Dragon 13 was released nine years ago, which is eons before Windows 10 entered the scene.)
 05/18/2022 12:34 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I concur with Alan Cantor, but would prefer to put it a little more clearly. Composing text via keyboard is a completely different approach than composing text via dictation. If you have been in the habit of using the keyboard to compose your text, it will take a long learning curve to move to dictation. If you didn't get to the point of being happy with Dragon 13, you will probably not get to it with Dragon 15. In addition to that, you will be disappointed by applications such as Facebook or Twitter not being supported any longer as far as dictating into. And I wouldn't expect Dragon 16, if and when it appears, to be any different from that.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

05/18/2022 06:03 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke Composing text via keyboard is a completely different approach than composing text via dictation. If you have been in the habit of using the keyboard to compose your text, it will take a long learning curve to move to dictation.

Hi Mark,

This short article amplifies Rüdiger's idea that to write and revise by voice means developing new habits. Keyboard (and mouse) actions don't translate nicely into voice commands. But there are other ways to write via Dragon that are speedy and reliable.

https://www.cantoraccess.com/publications/speech_2018_linkedin_dragon_doesnt_understand_me.shtml

05/18/2022 12:47 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

We concur with Alan. You will find a little more information on DPI 15.61 (Non-expiring Digital Downloads w/Patches) in our KnowBrainer Dragon 15 Review but note that our review is now 6 years old.

Dragon 13 - 15 cannot dictate directly into Facebook but this can be accomplished with KnowBrainer 2020 which is freely available to those with physical disabilities. You'll find a complementary copy in your email

Most companies, like Nuance, never publish release dates for the obvious reason of sacrificing 6 to 9 months of sales. Those who know release dates are locked into NFRs which prevent disclosing this information. However, if you purchase DPI 15.61, within 30 days of the next release, we will issue a complementary upgrade to Ver. 16 (for our customers only).

We don't recommend upgrading specifically for accuracy improvements (which are minor). We recommend upgrading for significant advances in productivity with new features. Ver. 15 is notably faster than Ver. 13 and only half the size.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/18/2022 01:25 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

It's all subjective and in my opinion definitely stick with DNS 13 because the upgrade to DPI 15 is marginal in terms of accuracy and you also lose the capability of direct dictation to certain applications with DPI 15. Whilst there will be a DPI 16 at some point it is not necessarily going to be this year. If it is this year it is not going to be within the next 30 days so you will have to pay for an upgrade

Also bear in mind that the desktop range of Dragon products like DPI 15 are using older Dragon speech engine technology, at least three or four years old, and the latest Dragon speech engine technology is only available with the Dragon cloud products like DPA (Dragon Professional Anywhere) which is the very latest speech engine technology and offers the best recognition according to Nuance and imo.

However there is a massive downside to DPA which is cost as it is only available as a subscription which needs to be paid, for example, yearly. It also loses a lot of features which are particularly useful for limited mobility and disabled users but if it's just dictation you want it's an easier and less complicated product to use. 

My suggestion would be to try DPA (Dragon Professional Anywhere) for a trial period (should be available free from any Nuance DPA reseller or from the link below) to see if it offers you significantly better accuracy from your perspective and then base your decision on that. I don't know if Lunis offers free trials of DPA. If you are in the UK we would be happy to help.

https://www.nuance.com/dragon/business-solutions/dragon-professional-anywhere.html

05/18/2022 09:14 PM

Author Icon
Mark Rosenberg

Thank you all for this very helpful response.
 05/23/2022 05:22 PM

Author Icon
oliebol

Hello Team - great chat - I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what Microsoft will be doing with the Dragon Speech Recognition products in the near future (< 6months). I have had to replace my Desktop (house flooded :-( ), and I have run out of installation attempts on my Dragon NS Home v13 :-(. I've not been a fan of buying v14-v16 as v13 has served me well.
 05/23/2022 05:35 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

The description of the voice recognition system newly integrated into Windows 11 sounds similar to descriptions of Dragon Home Edition, albeit with several refinements. I doubt this is a coincidence.

https://sway.office.com/Q5JvoIGBI5glyoKw?ref=Link

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 441 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 442 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.