User profile disappeared   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/01/2022 12:48 PM  
 Lunis saves the day........AGAIN   - drz - 03/01/2022 06:30 PM  
 User profile disappeared   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/02/2022 08:12 PM  
Keyword
 01/22/2022 02:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bythesea

When I started my computer yesterday, Dragon wouldn't open because it couldn't find my user profile. Instead, the new profile wizard opened. I manually went into the profile manager, and it was empty. My original profile had disappeared. I then created a new profile using the wizard.
I then went back into the profile manager to look for my old profile, and it was still empty. Stangely, the new profile I had just created was not there. I then attempted to create another profile, and received a message that a directory of that name exists, but not a user profile.
I've opened and closed my computer several times, thinking one of the profiles might eventually appear. So far, the profile manager remains empty.
Any idea what happened? I'd like to restore my original profile, which contained a number of custom commands which I'd prefer not to have to re-create.

01/22/2022 08:09 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Let's go old school to see if your user profile still exists but it's address is simply missing from the Dragon map.

Open File Explorer to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\ if you are using Ver. 15.61

Open File Explorer to %PROGRAMDATA%\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Users\ if you are using Ver. 15.3 or less

If you find your user profile via File Explorer, click Dragon's Open User Profile menu followed by clicking the Browse button and show Dragon where your user profile is. Dragon will refresh its map and you shouldn't need to repeat this procedure.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

01/22/2022 08:11 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Hopefully your custom commands will be in this file. Copy the file to another location, and once you've got a working profile, you can either import the commands from it, or paste the file into the same location for your new profile.

C:\Users\[your Window user name]\AppData\Local\Nuance\NS15\Users\[your Dragon profile name]\current

01/23/2022 11:28 AM

Author Icon
Bythesea

Thanks, Lunis and Alan,

I have Dragon 15.61.200.

Yesterday, I was able to locate my original user profile through the File Explorer. The new one I created yesterday was also there.
In the Profile Manager in Dragon, I searched for that file with the browse button. When I went through the files, the AppData file didn't appear in the location specified. It seems the file is "there", but it is not listed when I browse for it, or when I click through the files in the File Explorer.
I then copied the user profile into a separate location and attempted to import it into Dragon using the the Profile Manager. Received the message "you cannot import a user file that is already in the Dragon installation. Changed the name of the user profile, with the same result.
New problem:
Since this morning, the DragonBar has disappeared. I can right click on the microphone icon in my system tray, then click "minimize to tray" or "open", but no DragonBar appears.

01/23/2022 12:38 PM

Author Icon
Bythesea

Was able to restore the DragonBar.

Another detail, perhaps this will help diagnose - when I close, then reopen Dragon, it takes me to the user profile setup wizard. Then I need to set up a new profile. However, that new profile (or any profile) does not appear in the profile manager.
However, if KnowBrainer opens Dragon at startup, KnowBrainer seems to force Dragon past the setup wizard, and then Dragon opens. However, there is still no profile showing in the profile manager.
For what it's worth...

01/23/2022 01:42 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We believe your user profile map is corrupted. Your AppData folder is simply invisible. The 1st thing you should do, when setting up a new computer, is open File Explorer and change your default View options to display Hidden files and folders.

As previously noted, if you copy and paste %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\ into Windows Search field, it will open your user folder. It is just that easy with this generic address works, which works on all computers. There's no need to do this the hard way by clicking through the folders.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

02/23/2022 09:52 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow
Advanced Member

>>Lunis<<

I have the sample problem,disappeareing User.

I'm following your example "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\ " and get this error message.

Dragon
The directory you have chosen is reserved by the operating system. Please chose another directory.

This the the path of my files:
C:\Users\ameri\AppData\Local\Nuance\NS15\Users\Bob

Which has these folders:

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

02/24/2022 02:03 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hey Bob!

Those 2 shortcuts look suspicious.

Since Dragon is scanning a user profile directory trying to find out if this folder holds a valid profile I think those shortcuts could interfere.

Please delete them (only those shortcuts!), close all applications accessing your user profile directory and try restarting Dragon.

hth

mav

02/24/2022 03:16 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Mav Hey Bob!

Those 2 shortcuts look suspicious.

Since Dragon is scanning a user profile directory trying to find out if this folder holds a valid profile I think those shortcuts could interfere.

Please delete them (only those shortcuts!), close all applications accessing your user profile directory and try restarting Dragon.

hth

mav

The entire user profile folder looks suspicious, or even hosed. The TB folder should be empty. The current folder seems to be almost empty, while it should contain all the relevant data, and it should be almost the same size as the backup folder, being a copy of the current folder basically.

I would simply delete the whole folder, and start a new profile. (And stop interfering with the data manually.)

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

02/24/2022 04:22 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

The entire user profile folder looks suspicious, or even hosed. The TB folder should be empty. The current folder seems to be almost empty, while it should contain all the relevant data, and it should be almost the same size as the backup folder, being a copy of the current folder basically.

Rüdiger, you're right. I didn't look at the size of the current folder.

This seems to be the reason why Dragon doesn't show this user profile anymore.

A less radical step could be to copy the contents of the backup folder to the current folder (don't forget all the subdirectories!).

In addition, please rename the tb folder to tb.bak, so it doesn't interfere with a future profile saving process.

If you still can't open this profile you can always follow Rüdiger's suggestion and start anew.

hth

mav

02/24/2022 04:50 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

A less radical step could be to copy the contents of the backup folder to the current folder (don't forget all the subdirectories!).

In addition, please rename the tb folder to tb.bak, so it doesn't interfere with a future profile saving process.

Yes of course, or simply deleting the current folder and renaming the backup folder to current. And as for the TB folder, simply delete it. Dragon will create new ones if this is required.

However, given the overall structure of the folder already showing from the screenshot, I wouldn't place a bet on it working any longer.

My best advice would be to simply create a new user profile, go with the defaults, leave the folder alone (don't go "old school" unless you really know what you are doing), and you will be fine. 

DragonCapture Homepage

02/24/2022 03:05 PM

Author Icon
Robert Snow
Advanced Member

>>I would simply delete the whole folder, and start a new profile. (And stop interfering with the data manually.)<< Yes to that. Thanks

>>Please delete them (only those shortcuts!)>> Thanks May

So far all atemps for reinstall did not happen.

How would I beable to use BackUp folder. Woulkd that be Profile-Restore User Profile? I did try andit did say "Dragon Successfully Restored", but there was no changes. 

Now, at this point Im at I decided to reinstall. Windows and all. i'm happy with Win10-pro, but maybe it's time to go 11. Are we having good results with 11 & Dragon.

Now here is my concern with a total reinstall is the following;

1. My 150 plus myCommands

2. Custom Words created using Vocabulary Editor.

Are there actually files, for the above, I could view and save?

Where would the backups be that happen every 5 saves? The backup I did try did not work.

I'm includinbg an image of by backup directory can this deturmen if it might be of value on a reinstall?

Bob

Robert Snow
Germantown, WI

02/24/2022 04:04 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Robert Snow >>I would simply delete the whole folder, and start a new profile. (And stop interfering with the data manually.)<< Yes to that. Thanks

>>Please delete them (only those shortcuts!)>> Thanks May

So far all atemps for reinstall did not happen.

How would I beable to use BackUp folder. Woulkd that be Profile-Restore User Profile? I did try andit did say "Dragon Successfully Restored", but there was no changes. 

Now, at this point Im at I decided to reinstall. Windows and all. i'm happy with Win10-pro, but maybe it's time to go 11. Are we having good results with 11 & Dragon.

Now here is my concern with a total reinstall is the following;

1. My 150 plus myCommands

2. Custom Words created using Vocabulary Editor.

Are there actually files, for the above, I could view and save?

Where would the backups be that happen every 5 saves? The backup I did try did not work.

I'm includinbg an image of by backup directory can this deturmen if it might be of value on a reinstall?

Bob

If the current screenshot represents the backup folder from the previous screenshot, it looks okay, and you should be good to go by deleting the current folder in file explorer and renaming the backup folder to current, thus simply exchanging them. Then, after closing out of the file explorer, restart Dragon and follow the prompts to open the user profile, which should take you there, going by the default. No need to reinstall, and absolutely no need to upgrade to Windows 11 at that point.

Let us know if it works. Failing that, one of us being familiar with things might connect up to you remotely.

Edit:

The manufacturer isn't that dumb. Dragon provides all the means to have access to your custom words and custom commands, if you use it the way it is meant, and go via the Dragon menus. The custom words are not in a particular file which you could copy, and you only have access to the custom words if the profile is loaded into to Dragon. Let's assume that the same goes for your custom commands, although some people will argue that there is a single file containing them, which is also true.

As I said, interacting with the user profile manually is only recommended if you really know what you are doing, or else you may create all kinds of mischief very easily, which is what happened here. Anything else is just misinformation and not really useful.

Try to get the profile at hand up and running again, which now takes manipulating the folder for once, as outlined by Mav and myself, or go back to a previous backup. Don't reinstall, don't upgrade to Windows 11, as that won't change it, and the same things are likely happening again.

DragonCapture Homepage

01/23/2022 03:06 PM

Author Icon
Bythesea

Sounds reasonable that the profile map is corrupted. Here's where I am at this point:

I changed the view option in the File Explore to display hidden files and folders. The AppData file is now visible.

In Open User Profile, browsed to my original user profile, but when I selected it, received the message "The directory you have chosen is reserved by the operating system. Please choose another directory."

I also made a copy of and renamed the original user profile and moved it into another location, then imported it into Dragon through the Profile Manager. A popup said the import was successful, however, it does not appear in the User Profile Manager.

01/23/2022 04:48 PM

Author Icon
Bythesea

I had saved my custom commands in a separate file a year or so ago, and was able to import that into the active user profile. So, I now have a workable profile.

There still is no user profile showing in the profile manager, although I think I know which file Dragon is working from. So, workable, but not ideal.

If anyone has any other suggestions for how to get this working as designed, I'd be grateful. One way or the other, thanks for all.

02/25/2022 06:49 PM

Author Icon
Bythesea

Quick update on my problem, for what it's worth.
Last week, Dragon was once again not able to locate my user profile. I'm guessing this was because of a Windows update.
So, I copied the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\ file and moved it to my desktop, then instructed Dragon to open it through the Open User Profile dialog box.
Presto, no problems since.
Thanks for all your help.
 02/28/2022 10:40 PM

drz

Jeepers,
I reluctantly updated to Windows 11 and now my app data file is nuked and nowhere to be found. And up with the following error message:

Cannot access user profile
C:\users\Robert\app data\local\Nuance\NSF 15\users\Robert which is locked by another Windows login session

For the time being I was able to create a new profile and thankfully I saved my commands. I tried searching file Explorer as mentioned previously with no luck.

What are the odds I can recover the original profile? :-)
 03/01/2022 12:48 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

DRZ,

1. Your Windows AppData file has not been removed. You simply have to change File Explorer's default option to view Hidden Items by clicking View/Show/Hidden items in File Explorer

2. The NSF 15 portion of your address is incorrect. It should be NS15. Try using this generic address which is the same in everyone's computer %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\

3. When using Windows Search, it does not search for hidden files in hidden directories. If you are using a more recent (updated) version of KnowBrainer 2017 or the KnowBrainer 2020 Upgrade just say Open Users

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

03/01/2022 06:30 PM

drz

Copied user file to desktop, browse when opening Dragon, presto:-)

Infinite thanks Lunis

Robert

03/02/2022 08:12 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Interestingly enough, if you move your user profile back into the Dragon default %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\ folder it will work there also. When we run into a good user file that is just misbehaving; usually a Windows rights issue, we now copy the user profile into the same directory, delete the original user and rename the copied user to the original profile name. It sounds a little weird but it allows us to keep our user profile in the same directory. Additionally, it helps us to find a user profile when we remote into our customer computers. We also like being able to deploy the KnowBrainer Open Users command which opens the default directory. 

Tip: You might consider making a shortcut to the Dragon default user directory on your desktop. When Dragon misbehaves, you need an easy manual approach because you're never going to remember where the default user directory actually is

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » User profile disappeared

Statistics
32287 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 405 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 407 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.