Dragon crashing when spelling words   - R. Wilke - 09/26/2021 03:27 AM  
 Dragon crashing when spelling words   - Mav - 09/30/2021 05:13 AM  
Keyword
 09/23/2021 10:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
techwizard

Hi all,

I have a friend who is experiencing issues with Dragon crashing when she attempts to spell words when correcting text.

On checking the Event Viewer, there are two errors present each time Dragon crashes -

Faulting application name: natspeak.exe, version: 15.61.200.10, time stamp: 0x5f9f2ab1
Faulting module name: MSVCR110.dll, version: 11.0.51106.1, time stamp: 0x5098858e
Exception code: 0xc0000409

PID: 15988
Caught invalid parameter to secure string function in C:\Program Files (x86)\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Program\natspeak.exe

So far, I have repaired, then removed and reinstalled the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable 64 bit, as the file MSVCR110.dll in the error refers to the Visual C++ Redistributable. 

After doing so, the program still crashes and adds the same error to the Event Viewer log.

Can someone suggest what is causing the problem and what to do to resolve it ?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Regards

GW

09/24/2021 02:07 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

It's a common misconception that the file reported in the event viewer is the culprit for a crash.

It is just the deepest level in the (usually quite deep) call stack where the problem manifests but doesn't say anything about how and from where this function was called.

Since MSCR is the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime, it's being used by the vast majority of applications out there and fixing an application crash by reinstalling this dll is next to impossible.

In your case, Dragon seems to handle so-called "secure" strings (usually used to handle sensitive data from being visible as plain text inside a process' memory) using a function within MSVCR110.dll.

While doing so, Dragon seems to feed some invalid data to the function without appropriately checking its parameters and handling error conditions.

You haven't changed or deleted any certificates or user profiles on your machine or performed a system restore recently? Those actions could cause such an effect.

I'd suggest creating a new speaker profile and if this doesn't help a clean reinstall of Dragon.

hth,

mav

09/24/2021 10:31 PM

Author Icon
techwizard

Hi Mav,

As it is a work laptop my friend is using, I am unsure of the status of the security certificates or whether it has had a system restore recently, but I am going to find out, so that can be eliminated.

I have already tried a new profile, and it did not fix things, and as I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dragon, I think I will try using the DPI15Cleaner Remover to completely remove Dragon and reinstall. A question comes to mind though, if the issue is to do with the Visual C++ Runtime should I be reinstalling those as well? My thoughts are that removing them may introduce other problems, if they are shared with other applications that are installed.

Opinions ?

GW
 09/25/2021 04:55 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

This is definitely not an issue with the Visual C++ runtime, because if it was, Dragon wouldn't even start, and so would many other programs. It is also nothing to do with security or secure strings in the sense of how this term is used in the .Net world, as Mav assumed.

More likely, this is a C++ thing, which is what Dragon is written in after all. A mixture of older, meanwhile deprecated and more recent functions dealing with strings is what you are facing almost every day when programming in C++, at least when working with legacy code.

For more details, and if you're interested, you may have a look at this:

Security Features in the CRT | Microsoft Docs

If creating a new profile and reinstalling Dragon didn't fix it, please be more detailed, maybe as detailed as possible, as to what you mean by this:

"Dragon crashing when she attempts to spell words when correcting text."

What exactly is she doing? Please give us the whole scenario.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

09/26/2021 02:14 AM

Author Icon
techwizard

Hi R.

I will not get the chance to create a new profile and/or reinstall Dragon until the middle of next week.

In the meantime, I will expand on what I mean by "Dragon crashing when she attempts to spell words when correcting text." - My friend dictates the text she wishes to. If a mistake is made, and the word is not in the Dragon vocabulary, she uses the command Spell That to start entering the word letter by letter, either during the process or when she gets to the end of the word, Dragon will crash, and create the errors in the Event Log.

It has happened when dictating into MS Word, Notepad and MS Outlook.

Hope this helps explain what she is doing.

GW
 09/26/2021 03:27 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Hi GW,

The devil is in the details. How exactly does she go about? When and where exactly does she say "spell that"? Bear in mind that, when used from inside the text, "spell that" can only be used if something has already been selected, just as an example. And the reason I'm asking you to give us the whole and detailed scenario actually being that I'm assuming that a so-called "pilot error", as Lunis puts it, is going on.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

09/30/2021 05:13 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi again!

If a new speaker profile and reinstall of Dragon does not help, I assume the problem has something to do with data remaining on the machine.

You could try Dragon Remover, but from my experience, Dragon's regular uninstaller does a pretty good job in removing all of the program.

I rather guess something inside your friend's Windows user profile (where keys for encryption are saved as well) might have been damaged - I'm still holding on to the SecureString reference in the event log.

If you test Dragon's behavior towards spelling words with a different Windows user account we probably could confirm or rule out this theory.

hth,

mav

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Dragon crashing when spelling words

Statistics
32127 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 303 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 306 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.