KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/22/2021 03:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - wristofdoom - 08/22/2021 03:00 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - Alan Cantor - 08/22/2021 08:47 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - wristofdoom - 08/22/2021 08:58 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - Alan Cantor - 08/22/2021 11:17 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/23/2021 10:13 AM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - wristofdoom - 08/23/2021 02:12 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - dilligence - 08/24/2021 11:35 AM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - wristofdoom - 08/24/2021 05:30 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - Edgar - 08/24/2021 06:28 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - wristofdoom - 08/24/2021 07:06 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - dilligence - 09/02/2021 08:02 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - Edgar - 08/25/2021 10:53 AM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - dilligence - 08/25/2021 02:58 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - DaveR - 08/29/2021 11:44 PM  
 Notetab - a Dragon friendly advanced simple text editor   - wristofdoom - 09/02/2021 09:41 PM  
Keyword
 08/22/2021 03:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

This text editing app Notetab has full Select-and-Say functionality.

I wanted to share it in case somebody is looking for a more advanced notepad replacement. It doesn't seem like many people have discussed this on the forum before:

https://www.notetab.com/comparison-chart 

The "Light" version (free) in the "Standard" version (paid) appears to work with Dragon out-of-the-box. (However, I have enabled Notepad++ and Jarte in the NSapps file, so it's possible that the reason it's working perfectly for me is because I have previously hacked the NSapps file for those applications.)

It has many of the advanced text manipulation features of Notepad++, but without the problem of being unable to edit longer text documents with full Select-and-Say functionality.

- regex

- go to line

- tabbed windows

The most unfortunate limitation of the Light version and the Standard version is that you cannot have multiple "undo" commands, similar to Microsoft Notepad.

Strangely, the "Pro" version--which allows for multiple "undo commands"--is NOT working for me with Dragon out-of-the-box on the 

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

08/22/2021 08:47 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

The most unfortunate limitation of the Light version and the Standard version is that you cannot have multiple "undo" commands, similar to Microsoft Notepad.

That would be a "deal-breaker" for me, which is the reason I mostly stopped using Notepad.
 08/22/2021 08:58 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

Same; I wonder if there is a way to get the Pro version of Notetab working with Dragon. 

It's strange that the the other versions of Notetab would work with Dragon, but the Pro version would not. They all seem to be fundamentally the same application.

As a sidebar, what text editor do you use for full select and say functionality?

08/22/2021 11:17 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I mostly use WordPad. In a pinch I use the Dictation Box. I changed the behaviour of the Dictation Box so that it stays open when I press Esc or Alt + C by accident.
 08/23/2021 10:13 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you only need Plain Text, consider Notepad which is fully automated in KnowBrainer 2017. Notepad is much faster then WordPad or Dragon's Dictation Box. Try saying Notepad <this is a test> to simultaneously open Notepad and type “This is a test”. After editing, say Transfer  to select everything, cut it to the clipboard, close Notepad and paste your dictation into the previous target.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

08/23/2021 02:12 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

The problem with vanilla Microsoft Notepad is the lack of multiple undo commands.

08/24/2021 11:35 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: wristofdoom The problem with vanilla Microsoft Notepad is the lack of multiple undo commands.

SP Editor© does not have that issue. It's pretty advanced and absolutely the most Dragon® friendly editor you can think of. SP Editor© is only one of a total of 29 modules available in SP 6 PRO.

You can download a 30 day demo (try before buy ). Just send me an email: speechproductivity@gmail.com

Auto Box© Demo now available

08/24/2021 05:30 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

SP Editor doesn't work for a lot of my use cases because:

- allows for fancy text; I only want work with simple text most of the time
- keyboard shortcuts are not customizable
- does not allow for regular expressions
- does not have aesthetically pleasing Zen/focus mode

Would love to see a dictation-forward aesthetically pleasing simple text editor with regular expressions in a future SP release though. I would be first in line.

08/24/2021 06:28 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: wristofdoomdoes not have aesthetically pleasing Zen/focus mode

I strongly agree about the lack of keyboard shortcuts and the inability to modify them.

I'm absolutely at a loss to figure out what you're talking about when you say "pleasing Zen/focus mode"

As the title of this topic says "advanced simple text editor" - advanced and simple are probably going to end up being mutually exclusive. One thought would be to have a simple text editor which has a preference panel with checkboxes to offer more advanced features.

To keep the simple version responsive (and quick to launch) would probably mean having these advanced features be separate modules which were loaded from disk at launch time. The user would then be able to choose their own balance between quick-and-responsive versus advanced-feature-rich. This would be an incredible amount of work to program!

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

08/24/2021 07:06 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I'm absolutely at a loss to figure out what you're talking about when you say "pleasing Zen/focus mode"

Zen mode or focus mode is a feature with many modern text editors that involves going into full-screen mode, and removing distracting information and menus.

For example, try using Writemonkey, or "focus mode" in Microsoft Word. Zen mode is very common feature in word processors meant for writing, but it's also a common feature or plug-in for code editors.

As the title of this topic says "advanced simple text editor" - advanced and simple are probably going to end up being mutually exclusive.

An application that is very feature-poor like Microsoft Notepad is an example of a "basic" simple text editor, whereas a code or markdown editor with more features – but that still works with simple text files – is what I'm calling a "advanced" simple text editor.

Contrast with a rich text editor like WordPad or Microsoft Word.

09/02/2021 08:02 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: wristofdoom Would love to see a dictation-forward aesthetically pleasing simple text editor with regular expressions in a future SP release though. I would be first in line.

This one will be featured in the upcoming SP 7 Standard:

https://youtu.be/Z5757Th-qNM

08/25/2021 10:53 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Ahh, the confusion that is communication! "Focus mode" was a new one on me - I tried it in Word - I am not a fan of full-screen unless I'm watching a movie. I can see the attraction though if I were dictating a long document with no text embellishments, wanted no notifications and was not multitasking.

As far as plaintext versus rich text editors - now I understand your terminology - there are probably very few real plaintext editors other than Notepad. As soon as an editor offers any kind of styling of the text (multiple font families, multiple font sizes, formatting (bold etc.), colored text etc.) it's really a rich text editor. It might save the results as plaintext but the edit field itself is a RichTextBox.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

08/25/2021 02:58 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

@wristofdoom

Apart from the customized regex stuff (FYI, Quick Correct will get you a long way there) and customizable keyboard shortcuts (instead of static accelerator keys which are easy enough to implement) I could certainly come up with a very fast SP Editor "Lite" version with a "Zenn" like full-screen view that solely saves as plaintext or uses a plain text control. By the way, did you know that most of the SP Dictation Boxes use plain text and have a 1-click/command option to directly save to Notepad? 

Thanks for your recommendations though. We will ponder on them some more once we have some time on our hands. Currently we are extremely busy working on version 7 of both SP Standard and SP PRO. Here's a sneak preview of one of the new "goodies" in SP 7 Standard, the SP Voice Calculator© (Of course Tom will come up with something way more advanced in PRO ):

08/29/2021 11:44 PM

DaveR

DarkRoom is an extremely simple Dragon-friendly editor, described by its author as a clone of the Mac WriteRoom, which aims to provide a distraction-free dictation / typing environment. It's customisable for colours and font and not much else. A free download from CNET, where there is some additional description. Its overhead is tiny, and I've found it super-reliable, including saving your changes even if you forget. Google it as Darkroom text editor (there is also a Darkroom video editor).

DaveR

09/02/2021 09:41 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

@Diligence, looks good

@DaveR

Great find with Darkroom.

- Multiple undo commands (better than Microsoft Notepad)
- customizable colors
- no apparent encoding issues
- great save options
- fast launch
- Zen mode
- Allows traversal between paragraphs with control + up / down hotkeys

Limitations compared to comparable editors:

- no find/replace (worse than Microsoft Notepad in this way)
- and therefore, definitely no Regex

Can't replace Writemonkey for me as a daily driver for writing with Markdown; the only advantage it has over Writemonkey is a slightly faster launch time.

But it blows Microsoft Notepad out of the water except for the lack of the replace command.

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 322 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 322 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.