KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to get application-specific commands working in Writemonkey (or any other app)?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/31/2021 02:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 07/31/2021 02:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I discovered that Writemonkey text editor application has full Select-and-Say functionality with Dragon.

https://writemonkey.com/ (version 2 only, not version 3 is compatible with Dragon)

I was excited to use it because:

- this text editor supports markdown

- has full select and say functionality

- has a lot of keyboard shortcuts for common commands (which means I can make custom commands)

- a nice aesthetic

(How many apps do you know that checks all those boxes?)

However...

I found that this application does not support application-specific commands. Only global commands work.

Example of 1 of many commands that will not work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiz13ey3g5r6ap8/2021_07_31_Writemonkey_does_not_work.PNG?dl=0

This is application doesn't get installed by default under the program files folder; it's a portable application that can be run from a thumb drive or similar.

I don't know how this stuff works, but I was thinking that maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe the application is not formally registered with Windows so Dragon cannot recognize when the application is running? Just a thought.

Has anybody seen something like this?

Does anybody know a workaround?

For my simple text editing needs, I'm currently using Jarte which has keyboard hotkey customization and full Select-and-Say functionality--but it does not support UTF-8, and renders special characters like é incorrectly.

Writemonkey has previously been mentioned on this forum, but nobody has mentioned a limitation with application-specific commands. Previous mentions:

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=14167&highlight_key=y&keyword1=writemonkey

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=24069&highlight_key=y&keyword1=writemonkey

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

07/31/2021 02:48 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Did you select writemonkey from the Application drop down list? Is it possible to "browse" to the executable instead?

If not, can you make the commands window specific? For example, see if the title bar always includes a phrase like "- writemonkey ["

07/31/2021 02:59 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

> Did you select writemonkey from the Application drop down list? Is it possible to "browse" to the executable instead?

I selected Writemonkey from the application drop down list and I also selected it by browsing to the location of the .exe. It did not work in either case.

> If not, can you make the commands window specific? For example, see if the title bar always includes a phrase like "- writemonkey ["

Unless I am missing something, I cannot make the commands window specific without also making the command application specific. See image.

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

07/31/2021 03:12 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

I just downloaded and installed WriteMonkey and have the same problem. I don't see an obvious solution.
 07/31/2021 04:19 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Interesting software.  Haven't found any obvious use in it for me.  But I always appreciate thoughtful, portable software and the efforts developers put into them.  This is a "healthy culture" I could see myself doing my bit to encourage.

So I downloaded it as well just now.  3 comments (taken with a grain of salt as I do NOT run any flavour of desktop Dragon on any computer I possess right now):

1. It seems that WriteMonkey 2.7 "Scratch" file opens in a default full screen mode.  Press F11 or Esc to get out that mode.  This may enable Dragon to "see" the Scratch window "better".

2. Even with Writemonkey being in full screen mode, I can "change target window" to its default "SCRATCH - WriteMonkey" Window (in full screen) and do window-specific commands no problem - with VoiceMacro.  So perhaps there are other "deeper" settings/toggles in desktop Dragon that would enable similar function to AHK's equivalent of "DetectHiddenWindows" switch.  I wouldn't know what they are.

3. Depending on the nature of the window-specific commands you wish to invoke, you may be able to implement those in AHK (etc.), which can offer more granular window control, and then leverage Dragon's "shellexecute ..." thing to meet your needs.

07/31/2021 08:38 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I've had this problem in one or two applications in the past. If application-specific commands are impossible then the second best thing for me was to use global commands with the prefix "I" in the command name, as in: "I save as", "I font type", "I font size", that kind of thing.

This remains pretty voice ergonomic and you can also quickly find the commands in your Dragon Command Browser. It's also not very likely that you will use those commands by mistake in other applications.

WriteMonkey by the way appears to not be DPI Aware. It renders a somewhat blurry font on my system with regular HD resolution and 125% scaling.

Auto Box© Demo now available

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 395 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 398 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.