KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/26/2021 11:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - reporterrandi - 07/26/2021 11:47 AM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - Alan Cantor - 07/26/2021 12:03 PM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - reporterrandi - 07/28/2021 02:39 PM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - Alan Cantor - 07/28/2021 03:22 PM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - Scribe - 07/26/2021 12:06 PM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/26/2021 03:31 PM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - Scribe - 07/26/2021 10:07 PM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/26/2021 03:38 PM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - reporterrandi - 07/28/2021 02:41 PM  
 DPI Dropping Chunks of Dictation in Word   - Stephan Kuepper - 07/29/2021 07:42 AM  
Keyword
 07/26/2021 11:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
reporterrandi

I am running DPI Pro 15.61.200.010 into Microsoft Word via an Andrea NC-185VM USB headset and sound card on a HP ProBook 470 G5 that is running Windows 10 Pro.

I am having issues where Dragon will dictate most of the dictation and will either cut off the end of the phrase or will cut out a chunk from the middle and pick up only the beginning and end of the dictation.  When I do a playback the mic picks up everything.

I have closed and restated everything.  I have checked Dragon and Word for updates.  I have ran a sound test on the headset and switched USB ports.  I am running out of ideas.  

I know Dragon doesnt always play nice with Word but thats the software I have to finish this project in.  I have done several similar projects with sucess in the past and never had an issue until now.  

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

-------------------------
Randi Sillivan
 07/26/2021 12:03 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

How long is the Word document?

Does the document include cross-references, a table of contents, text boxes, tables within tables, hypertext links, etc.?
 07/28/2021 02:39 PM

Author Icon
reporterrandi

I am currently at page 60.  I was worried the size of the doc was the problem so I started breaking them down into smaller docs.  I do not have anything special added into the doc other than just dictation.

Randi Sillivan
 07/28/2021 03:22 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I am currently at page 60.

The length of your document is a likely source of the problem.

07/26/2021 12:06 PM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

I am a heavy user of Microsoft Word, and I also am running DPI 15.61. I have had some instances lately where Dragon has chopped off the end of a phrase or word. I have been using a fan due to hot weather, which could be contributing to the problem, but not necessarily. One thing you could try is putting your speed versus accuracy slider all the way over to the accuracy slide. Mine's been in the middle, but I have just pushed it over to the right as an experiment.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

07/26/2021 03:31 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Scribe,

The ONLY correct position for the Speed vs. Accuracy is to the far right; assuming your sound system is up to the task and doesn't take several seconds for your words to hit the page. We believe Nuance defaults the Speed vs. Accuracy setting to the far left so end users won't call them when their dictation takes 6 seconds to hit the page. If Dragon has a hard time understanding your dictation, it will simply make its best guess in the default setting but in the higher setting, Dragon will take longer to process if it doesn't easily understand what you said, such as when using a substandard sound system or if there is too much noise in your environment. Dragon will eventually drop your dictation with its best guess but it takes longer if Dragon has to struggle with your dictation. When you're using a reasonably good microphone, moving the slider all the way to the right won't make any difference in speed but should improve your accuracy. It helps our accuracy and that's why it is 1 of the 26 of our recommendations detailed in our KnowBrainer Dragon Installation/Training Guide, which includes pictorial details on the installation process, a list of Dragon commands organized by category and pictorial details on fixing 26 sandtraps (which Nuance doesn't want you to know). This manual is complementary to our Dragon customers. 

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/26/2021 10:07 PM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

It may be user dependent. I have the training guide but started with the slider all the way to the speed side as an experiment. After a couple of months, I switched it to the middle to see what happened. I didn't notice any change in accuracy. I tried it all the way to the right today, and at least so far haven't noticed any difference in accuracy with that setting either. I'll give it a few more days as a test but then probably move the slider back to the far left.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

07/26/2021 03:38 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

Randy,

It sounds like you made all of the right moves but our best guess is that your user profile is corrupted. We recommend making a new profile.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/28/2021 02:41 PM

Author Icon
reporterrandi

I will give that a whirl and update!   

Randi Sillivan
 07/29/2021 07:42 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

It's always worth testing in DragonPad. When the issue persists, it is not related to the document.

When a recording sounds okay, the input may still be too soft. Dragon then rejects it as background noise. Select a faulty passage and say "play that back". Are there any gaps?

(Re the speed vs. accuracy slider, a contact at Nuance told me years ago that there were only two settings: maximum speed or maximum accuracy. People setting the slider to any "sweet spot" between the two were deluding themselves.)

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

Statistics
32110 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 426 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 427 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.