Callisto Bluetooth microphone   - Stephan Kuepper - 07/13/2021 05:28 AM  
 Callisto Bluetooth microphone   - 1955aho - 07/14/2021 05:49 PM  
 Callisto Bluetooth microphone   - Stephan Kuepper - 07/15/2021 02:49 AM  
Keyword
 07/11/2021 02:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
1955aho

I still use the old Callisto Bluetooth recommended by Nuance. I say "old" as it has the round male plug on the charging wire as opposed To the micro USB plug on the newer models. But does the newer Callisto model have a superior Bluetooth version or have other advantages over my old one?

-------------------------
Andrew Owens
 07/11/2021 05:08 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Which Plantronics Callisto Bluetooth microphone model are you referring to? Please be specific

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/11/2021 05:22 PM

Author Icon
1955aho

Here's a picture of it and the dongle sold with it. I bought this years ago. It's the 1st Bluetooth microphone that nuance sold with its software as a bundle. I took the back side picture of the microphone to show you the charging port which is circular and no longer used.

Andrew Owens
 07/12/2021 01:06 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

In our opinion, this microphone is trash. It did not meet our minimum acceptable speech recognition standards. We only recommend the Sennheiser Presence UC, MB Pro2 UC/ML (our favorite) and the Sennheiser MB Pro1 UC/ML

PS: Plantronics discontinued making this microphone many years ago because it didn't meet their standards. Plantronics is the McDonald's of the microphone industry. They only manufacture this microphone for Nuance as an OEM microphone (the Plantronics name does not appear for obvious reasons). 

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/12/2021 04:47 PM

Author Icon
1955aho

I don't quite know what to make of your response.

Attached are some images from the current "wireless headset user guide" found on the Nuance website. It appears to be the exact same shape as the one that I photographed and attached to my earlier message. Although, it is a newer model because it has the mini USB charging port instead of the circular one. I bought 1 of these for 1 of my employees a year or 2 ago. It looks to me like they are still being sold by Nuance. The Name of the manufacturer is not on the one that I bought recently for my employee.

Also, as a 20 year user of Dragon and having experimented with multiple wireless microphones including DECT and Bluetooth, I find one I photographed for you to be quite handy.

My question stands. Is the one in the image attached hereto superior to the one in the previous image and if so how?

Doc11.pdf
Doc11.pdf  (77 KB)

Andrew Owens
 07/12/2021 06:34 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Keep in mind that the following is only our opinion:

We haven't tested this microphone but from all appearance, it is still the same 15-year-old technology with a different USB plug. Plantronics manufactures this microphone exclusively for Nuance so you can bet your bottom dollar they are not going to waste time trying to improve it. As the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig but… You may be perfectly happy with this microphone and getting 97% accuracy but what if you could get 98% accuracy with a different microphone? This microphone didn't meet our minimum standards because we found it to be uncomfortable, literally no noise filtering (as with many Plantronics microphones), unable to prevent windage from hitting the microphone element (lowers accuracy) and takes longer to hit the page. The microphone element is about the size of a pinhead. By comparison, the Sennheiser MB Pro1 has a notably larger microphone element, better noise filtering (via built-in buffers) which translate into higher accuracy. Granted, Dragon has gotten so much better that many consumer grade microphones are producing OK (click link) results but in our opinion, you are still going to be correcting more errors. 

If Dragon plays a major role in your workflow, consumer tools produce consumer results. However, if speech recognition is not a significant work tool, over-the-counter microphones are certainly justifiable.

PS: A quick down and dirty way to test a microphone is to dictate in a slightly noisy room and roughly measure how long it takes the words to hit the page. Your words should take less than 2 seconds. 

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/14/2021 05:44 PM

Author Icon
1955aho

Thanks for your response. You bet your bottom dollar that voice recognition is important to me. I'm a trial lawyer of 40 years and Dragon has totally supplanted secretaries and transcriptionists. To your other point, when and where I dictate is in a very quiet controlled environment. Noise cancellation is not a requirement.

Thanks again.

Andrew Owens
 07/13/2021 05:28 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

As far as I know, Nuance has discontinued the sale of these headsets recently, at least in Europe. About time.

The new EPOS | Sennheiser ADAPT 200 series is a good replacement, and also doubles as a smartphone headset. The MB1 and MB2 are also very good. However, microphone quality has less of an impact these days than it used to have, so no need to be obsessive about it.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

07/14/2021 05:49 PM

Author Icon
1955aho

Thanks. I am intrigued with your comment about microphones not being as important as they used to be. I have sensed the same thing as Dragon has evolved, and as I said more than once, I've been using Dragon now about 20 years. I'm using the latest version of DPI 15.

The only reason I started this topic is because the round charging port on that old Callisto actually is a headache. To take that microphone with me requires that I unplug the charging adapter from the AC power source which is a hassle given its location. The newer model, with its mini USB charging port, can be charged with a common mini USB cable which are very common for charging any number of other types of devices.

If the more recent version of my microphone with the mini USB charging port had additional advantages over and above that of  the USB charging port, I would spend the money for it.  

But thank you for your response as well.

Andrew Owens

07/15/2021 02:49 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Andrew,

I wouldn't pay a dime for the Nuance headset. I'd save my money and get a decent one, based on consideration like size, mobility, charging, reliable connectivity. I highly recommend a longish microphone boom. Dragon has become much more tolerant of the microphone, but it still needs a decent input level and AirPods, mobile phone headsets and the like don't often provide that.

Edit: the aforementioned Adapt 230 costs 149 € plus VAT. I don't think the Callisto sold for significantly less.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Callisto Bluetooth microphone

Statistics
32110 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 345 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 345 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.