Useful guide to DPI 15   - dilligence - 07/11/2021 08:55 AM  
 Useful guide to DPI 15   - Grandslam - 07/12/2021 12:08 AM  
Keyword
 07/11/2021 01:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
harpalus
Top-Tier Member

A recent thread that asked why there are not more videos about using DPI reminded me that there is a book that would probably be very useful to many people when they start using DPI. It also reminded me of the changes that have taken place with voice recognition technology.

I've been using voice recognition technology since Kurzweil and Dragon developed discrete speech recognition technology eons ago in the days of DOS. I first started with Kurzweil because the sales rep for Dragon – despite my having warned him beforehand not to do so – infuriated a vice president, manager, IT rep, and myself by droning on and on about what a great company he worked for, before finally giving a poorly done demonstration. Kurzweil representative sat down once he had installed his computer in place and simply began dictating a memo to the happy surprise of everyone.

Once Dragon developed continuous speech recognition, I switched to that company because it was hard on my vocal cords to have to say each word separately. The cost of Kurzweil was approximately $8000-$10,000 and one also needed to buy an unbelievable amount of extra memory – an entire megabyte! The computer I had been working with at my office cost I believe approximately $5000. Think we have a chip shortage now – at that time Michael Dell had to personally approve the sale of a gigantic computer card with the nearly unheard of ability to provide a megabyte of additional memory – memory chips were really hard to obtain. If I remember correctly, The extra megabyte of memory could only be accessed through a 64K "window".

The helpful book, published 2016. Despite many years experience using voice recognition technology I found when I purchased the book in 2017 that it provided me with information about a few features I did not understand in DPI. Printed book may be out-of-print but appears to be available from resellers, Kindle version apparently available from Amazon. Don't confuse the fifth edition with earlier editions that cover previous versions of Dragon.  AmazonSmile: Dragon Professional Individual For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (9781119171034): Diamond, Stephanie: Books 

Dragon Professional Individual For Dummies  5th Edition $23.11 paperback book, $18.00 Kindle book

Above URL takes you to Amazon page that allows you if you wish to designate a charity that receives a small portion of the price you pay for merchandise. You get to select the charity.

If you decide to purchase printed book, check with seller to be sure you get fifth edition rather than earlier editions.

-------------------------

GaryN

07/11/2021 08:55 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Authors may be interested in this one from Mary Crawford:

The Power of Dictation (Empowering Productivity #1) | Mary Crawford, Author's Online Book Outlet (square.site)

-------------------------

07/12/2021 12:08 AM

Author Icon
Grandslam

I'll second this recommendation. I've read quite a few books and eBooks on Dragon and in my opinion, DPI For Dummies is the best available.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Useful guide to DPI 15

Statistics
32106 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 617 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 619 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.