KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Switching between two different languages
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/05/2021 09:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Switching between two different languages   - Alan Cantor - 07/05/2021 09:47 AM  
 Switching between two different languages   - monkey8 - 07/05/2021 11:10 AM  
 Switching between two different languages   - R. Wilke - 07/05/2021 05:45 PM  
 Switching between two different languages   - Alan Cantor - 07/05/2021 03:25 PM  
 Switching between two different languages   - kkkwj - 07/05/2021 03:48 PM  
 Switching between two different languages   - Alan Cantor - 07/05/2021 06:37 PM  
 Switching between two different languages   - R. Wilke - 07/06/2021 02:16 PM  
 Switching between two different languages   - monkey8 - 07/07/2021 12:16 PM  
 Switching between two different languages   - R. Wilke - 07/07/2021 01:28 PM  
 Switching between two different languages   - monkey8 - 07/08/2021 09:14 AM  
 Switching between two different languages   - GregBau - 07/08/2021 11:14 AM  
Keyword
 07/05/2021 09:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I will be training somebody to use Dragon who is bilingual in English and French, and who constantly switches and forth between the two languages.

I don't think I've ever used a multi-language version of Dragon; or if I have, it was a long time ago!

What is involved in switching between languages on-the-fly when using Dragon? Will the user need to change profiles, or will they need to exit one version of Dragon and launch the other?

Are there built in voice commands for switching between languages?

If not, is changing languages amenable to automation via Advanced Scripting or third-party macro software like AutoHotkey or Macro Express?

07/05/2021 11:10 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Hi Alan,

There are 2 separate types of "multilanguage" install:

1) single installation of language e.g. French, German, Dutch, Spanish or Italian… all of which come with English. 

2) multi-installation of languages e.g. French & Spanish & Italian & English. This would involve 3 separate installs (French, Spanish and Italian) on top of each other amalgamating to 1 install. English would automatically be included with all 3 languages. All versions must be identical e.g. 15.6.

Changing language with either installation type  involves changing user profile with the usual rules e.g. each profile has its own command file and vocabulary. You do not need to exit one version and launch the other.

There are no built-in voice commands for switching between languages. You could conceivably use autohotkey or macro express for switching languages. Just imagine the usual open profile dialogue for option 2 above with Alan English, Alan French, Alan Spanish and Alan Italian. When you change user profile the UI language automatically changes.

-------------------------

07/05/2021 05:45 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

There are no built-in voice commands for switching between languages. 

No, there are not. But once you have established a pattern in switching back and forth between two particular profiles for the given languages, you might as well use the built-in command "previous user profile", to automate the task. Of course, you would have to use them in a wording according to the given language you have currently loaded.

In the past, Dragon used to have a hard time updating the UI with regards to the new language, but this seems to have been taken care of by now.

However, as an end-user routinely switching back and forth between German, which is my day job language, and English, which I seem to be using only for toying around with in my spare time, perhaps I should point out that clearing the buffer from the previous language may not always seem complete, until you restart Dragon. So don't worry if you have to every once in a while.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

07/05/2021 03:25 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Thank you, Lindsay.
 07/05/2021 03:48 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Wow, Lindsay's answer was deep and thorough. Great job, Lindsay. I can only imagine the number of hours of installations, tryouts, failures, and experiments behind those paragraphs.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

07/05/2021 06:37 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Since there will only be two profiles, one English and one French, "previous user profile" is probably the way to go.

Anyone know the French equivalent? "profil utilisateur précédent" peut-être?
 07/06/2021 02:16 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Alan,

Je ne sais pas...

However, from my brief testing French profiles back in the day when DNS Dutch still came with French, among a few others which made it really useful to me, I seem to remember that the implementation of Natural Language Commands in French was severely lacking. Just mentioning this if it doesn't meet your expectations.

DragonCapture Homepage

07/07/2021 12:16 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke
… I seem to remember that the implementation of Natural Language Commands in French was severely lacking.…

I would second that in terms of the lack of Natural Language Commands in other languages. Anyway all you need to do with the French profile is a keyword search of global commands in browse mode in the Command Browser using the keyword "profil". See example which shows multiple ways of opening previous, last and recent profiles in English (mostly duplicate commands that do the same thing).

07/07/2021 01:28 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Once more, a deep and thorough answer from Lindsay, except I doubt that searching for the keyword "profil" in French would go a long way. I would assume that "fichiers utilisateurs" might be more useful, but then I could be wrong, because, admittedly, I haven't tested it and am just wild-guessing. But hey, testing recommendations before posting them here has never been a prerequisite on this forum, right?

For what it is worth, I'll attach a copy of the DragonNaturallySpeaking French User Guide (PDF) which came with the installation of DNS 10.1 Pro Dutch.

User Guide1.pdf
User Guide1.pdf  (1771 KB)

DragonCapture Homepage

07/08/2021 09:14 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke Once more, a deep and thorough answer from Lindsay,…

You shouldn't let such comments from other users get to you

Originally posted by: R. Wilke , …, but then I could be wrong,

That's right yes, as I said previously just do a keyword search on "profil" to get all the variations. Courtesy of my language student several minutes ago. I think you made a pretty good guess anyway Alan.

07/08/2021 11:14 AM

Author Icon
GregBau
Power Member

Hello all,

On the same issue, I recently received a handy script for a Custom Command from Rüdiger here:
https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=33595

The script allows to switch back and forth between my English and German user profiles with a single word (assuming I'm not in dictation mode, in which case it's a few more words).

As also proposed by Rüdiger, I used the word "switcher" as command name, which is well recognized in both languages and does not get mistaken for something else.

Sub Main
Dim eng As New DgnEngineControl
If eng.SpeakerLanguage(eng.Speaker) = dgnlangUSEnglish Then
HeardWord "recent", "user", "profile"
ElseIf eng.SpeakerLanguage(eng.Speaker) = dgnlangGerman Then
HeardWord "letztes", "Benutzerprofil"
Else
MsgBox "The current language is not supported in this script"
End If
End Sub

Statistics
32106 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 642 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 643 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.