"show links" in Firefox   - Matt_Chambers - 07/03/2021 10:11 AM  
 "show links" in Firefox   - monkey8 - 07/04/2021 04:07 AM  
 "show links" in Firefox   - Alan Cantor - 07/04/2021 11:07 AM  
Keyword
 07/02/2021 10:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

When driving Firefox by voice, the "show links" command is supposed to overlay a number next to every hypertext link, pushbutton, textbox, etc. This makes it possible to click on webpage items by voice:

"show links"
"choose [number]"

It's been several years since I last used "show links" in Firefox. But when I tried today, Dragon recognized the words as text, not as a command.

1. The command appears in the Command Browser under the context of "Mozilla Firefox."

2. In the Recognition History, "show links" is denoted as dictated text, not as a command.

3. When I held down Ctrl while saying "show links," Dragon did not recognize the utterance.

Is anybody else having trouble with the "show links" in Firefox?

07/02/2021 10:35 AM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

I haven't been using Firefox lately. But I just opened it up and tested it. I have no difficulty clicking links by just saying the name of the link. But the command "show links" doesn't work. I've always used the command "click links" instead, and that doesn't work—and doesn't work in Microsoft Edge either.

-------------------------

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

07/02/2021 12:25 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Firefox performs the same way on our system and we suspect it's the same for everyone. We only use Firefox for testing. This might be a good reason use Microsoft Edge or Chrome. On a personal note, we don't like some of Firefox's default settings such as refusing to open a PDF until you change the option.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/02/2021 01:02 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Sigh. It appears to be a bug: the command appears in the Command Browser, used to work but no longer does.

Despite its limitations, I find Firefox to be the best option for how I work. A Firefox feature I rely on dozens of times a day is not a "thing" in Chrome or Edge.

07/03/2021 10:11 AM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Alan Cantor Sigh. It appears to be a bug: the command appears in the Command Browser, used to work but no longer does. Despite its limitations, I find Firefox to be the best option for how I work. A Firefox feature I rely on dozens of times a day is not a "thing" in Chrome or Edge.

I just tested, and it doesn't work for me in Firefox.

07/04/2021 04:07 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Alan Cantor When driving Firefox by voice, the "show links" command is supposed to overlay a number next to every hypertext link, pushbutton, textbox, etc. This makes it possible to click on webpage items by voice: "show links" "choose [number]" It's been several years since I last used "show links" in Firefox. But when I tried today, Dragon recognized the words as text, not as a command. 1. The command appears in the Command Browser under the context of "Mozilla Firefox." 2. In the Recognition History, "show links" is denoted as dictated text, not as a command. 3. When I held down Ctrl while saying "show links," Dragon did not recognize the utterance. Is anybody else having trouble with the "show links" in Firefox?

There is nothing wrong with the extension/dragon setup for Firefox on my system or a couple of other systems I tried,  it works absolutely fine. Check the following:

1) are you using the Dragon professional web extension version 1.40.0.5, last updated May 2021

2) are you trying to use "show links" on a new tab, show links doesn't work on a new tab or with any settings pages. This is a security issue with Firefox/Chrome/edge. Also check Firefox settings as the default is to open Firefox with a new tab. Change this to open with a specific page or the last page you were using when you last closed Firefox.

3) the forum is littered with posts regarding Firefox/Chrome/edge extensions not working and as a company we have done numerous remote connections and in virtually 100% of cases this is due to the fact that people do not realise what the limitations of the extension are, some of which I have included above and others which I have mentioned in other posts. 

07/04/2021 11:07 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Thank you, Lindsay.

You solved the problem! The web extension was not installed. Not only is the "show links" command working, so are many of my old favourites, such as "click box," "click radio," "click button,", and so on.

I'd never noticed the limitations before, probably because I don't do tabbed browsing.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » "show links" in Firefox

Statistics
32132 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 342 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 342 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.