Problem with Check microphone   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/23/2021 01:33 PM  
Keyword
 06/23/2021 01:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dudditz

Hi,

I'm using DNS 15 and Knowbrainer.  

Today, for no apparent reason, the voice recognition capability has reduced dramatically (e.g.  I recite a sentence and only a few of the words from the sentence appear on the screen or, when I say "mouse click" it does nothing, or it gives me mouse grid instead) Previously the voice recognition was excellent.  I am using the same microphone and user profile as I was previously.

I decided the logical thing to do was to run the "check microphone" from the DNS toolbar.  I check the position of the headset microphone (which is the same as previously), then I start reading the text on the screen out loud.  For some reason, after a while, the text window simply disappears without warning.  I never get to the "TIck - Complete" stage, from where you can then click the "Finish" tab.   I have tried repeating this over an over, both with my usual microphone, and with another microphone and corresponding user profile (this microphone has also worked well in the past) - I never get to the "complete" stage.

I've done the usual "sound" checks in Windows - making sure that the right microphone is seleceted, making sure that some green bars appear when I speak, running the troubleshooter, etc.  Nothing works.

Really frustrating!!!  Any help much appreciated!

-------------------------

Kingsley Mudd

06/23/2021 05:43 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

While you started along the correct path, I think you stopped short of the obvious conclusion:

Your microphone hardware seems to have stopped working correctly. Perhaps your cord is broken or some other electrical component blew?

Try recording a short sentence with an application of your choice (e.g. the built-in voice recorder) and play it back - that way you can hear what Dragon hears and you should be able to identify the sound problem and verify that using a different microphone will fix your problem.

hth,

mav

06/23/2021 06:51 AM

Author Icon
Dudditz

I did mention that I tried using two different microphones, both of which had worked well previously. As the probability of two different microphones starting to malfunction simultaneously would seem fairly low, I think the more obvious conclusion was that it was not a microphone hardware problem.
Anyway I decided to try deleting my user profile and creating a new one. This appears to have worked beautifully. Not sure why but hey... All good.

Kingsley Mudd

06/23/2021 07:35 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Dudditz I did mention that I tried using two different microphones, both of which had worked well previously.

Ah, sorry, I missed that you actually used two different microphones.

But good to hear that the old "create a new profile" sledgehammer worked

mav

06/23/2021 01:33 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you're using Dragon in the default auto-gain setting, running the Microphone Check is a waste of time because auto-gain overrides the Microphone Check. The only way to save your Microphone Check information is to begin by removing the checkmark from Automatically adjust the microphone level as I speak, under the Choose a Microphone menu. 

As far as the Microphone Check crashing is concerned. Some Nuance genius decided to save you a little time by automatically closing the window after Dragon has enough information. It's actually supposed to work this way. In our opinion, this was a bad idea. Most end-users don't mind clicking the OK button to acknowledge the audio test completion. Since most of us don't know about this wonderful new feature, it's natural to think it is broke. We thought the same thing until our late Dragon guru friend Larry Allen straightened us out... again.

We recommend opening DragonPad, dictating a few words and then saying play that back. This should give you an idea of what's going wrong. However if you don't hear interference, your user profile is likely corrupted and you did right by creating a new user. Another potential user profile corruption sign is dictation taking a little too long to hit the page. This problem can occur with a bloated user profile. We have started seeing this problem significantly more often in Ver. 15. Your solution to create a new user profile is definitely a winner.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Problem with Check microphone

Statistics
32106 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 485 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 485 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.