KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?
Topic Summary: Best way to train Dragon on a word
Created On: 06/22/2021 04:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - tomgoodell - 06/22/2021 04:50 PM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/22/2021 05:27 PM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - MDH - 06/23/2021 11:21 AM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2021 06:40 PM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - Alan Cantor - 06/22/2021 08:05 PM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - tomgoodell - 06/22/2021 08:57 PM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - Edgar - 06/23/2021 09:43 AM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - tomgoodell - 06/23/2021 10:05 AM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - Ag - 07/09/2021 06:58 PM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - Alan Cantor - 06/23/2021 11:07 AM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/09/2021 08:10 PM  
 Does it help to train a word multiple times in Dragon?   - jmcvay - 07/10/2021 04:35 PM  
Keyword
 06/22/2021 04:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tomgoodell

I find that I have to train some words on Dragon to have it interpret them correctly. When I go to Vocabulary Editor, select the word, and click on Train, I always wonder whether Dragon will learn the word better if I click the "Train" button and speak the world multiple times, or if it only learns from the last instance of my training it. Does anyone know the answer to this?

06/22/2021 05:27 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Training a word several times probably won't make significant difference because Dragon will combine the training but utilizing a Written Form and Spoken Form, when possible, is a more bulletproof approach that can be exported and imported into the next Dragon release. Training cannot be transferred. When possible, adding unique words to commonly used phrases is another bulletproof option. Training should only be considered as your last option. Although rare, we have trained a few words, when the other options were not viable. However, we have found training to be somewhat limited.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/23/2021 11:21 AM

Author Icon
MDH
Top-Tier Member

Of interest is that I have found that the Vocabulary Editor in DMPE 4.3 is clearly less reliable when compared to that in DNS Medical v. 10.1, which was bullet-proof reliable with first entry. I have even had to resort to making a Text and Graphics command for lots of entries that would have been taken care of by the Vocabulary Editor on the first attempt in DNS Medical v. 10.1. It is too bad, as that was previously so reliable and now sketchy in functionality.

MDH

06/22/2021 06:40 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Yes. Up until version 10, we were able to look up the underlying pronunciations. Starting with version 11, Nuance has made that impossible, very unfortunately.

Assuming that the rules haven't changed, though, while you can always add to the "factory" pronunciations, with regards to "factory" words, you can't delete them, and it is always the last training that will stick, by being added to, if it is different from the "factory" pronunication. Therefore, "factory" words can have mulitple pronunciations, and many "factory" words do come with multiple pronunciations right from the start.

With custom words, however, they always only have one pronunciation, and the last training will always overwrite the previous one.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

06/22/2021 08:05 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I use Dragon almost every day, and over the course of a year, I train a handful of words in the Vocabulary Editor. Maybe four or five, if that. In other words, I don't train individual words often because I don't find it's especially effective, except once in a blue moon.

A method I find no effective is to select the word that Dragon misrecognized along with the surrounding words that make up a coherent phrase.

There is a misrecognition in the previous paragraph. I said "more" but Dragon substituted "no." Rather than training "more" I would select the phrase, e.g., "select no effective". After a split second pause, I would say "more effective". To restore the cursor to its previous position, I would say "go back." This entire process takes less than five seconds. And nine times out of ten, it works.

Misrecognitions are inevitable with Dragon. If we accept this reality, then the goal becomes to know how to repair mistakes quickly rather than to try (and usually fail) to improve Dragon's accuracy through training.
 06/22/2021 08:57 PM

Author Icon
tomgoodell

Thanks to all of you! These are very helpful. I work almost exclusively in Scrivener, a superb writing software for long form writers, but unfortunately not integrated with Dragon. So I can't use the "select word" command, I have to go to the vocab editor and train it there. But I will experiment with all of the suggestions that can be tried in Scrivener. Many thanks!

06/23/2021 09:43 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

I think the above replies are all correct, but…

I almost never train an existing word; when I do, I always train it 3 or 4 times then (generally in Notepad) I use the word by dictating a few different phrases containing it. When Dragon gets one of the phrases wrong I correct it with "correct that".

When I add a new word I always train it three or four times then follow the same procedure with Notepad.

Part of this training is not so much to train Dragon to train me! If I record a training session, then listening to the recording, I often notice subtle differences in the way I pronounce the word in question. The training process helps to develop "muscle memory" between my tongue and my brain.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

06/23/2021 10:05 AM

Author Icon
tomgoodell

Thanks Edgar—that's super helpful! I'll follow that protocol going forward. It hadn't occurred to me to use Notepad to do some "extra training" both for Dragon and for me. Great idea.

07/09/2021 06:58 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

@Edgar:  I do something similar using DragonPad - when I reluctantly  resort to training .

Reluctantly: usually I find that if I add a custom word  I don't need to do this.

Q:  is there any reason to think that training in Notepad would be better than DragonPad?

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

06/23/2021 11:07 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Part of this training is not so much to train Dragon [as] to train me!

Edgar, I think you've succinctly summarized one of the "secrets" to getting good results with Dragon! Well done!
 07/09/2021 08:10 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

There is no advantage training a word in DragonPad or Notepad but there is really no difference anywhere. Having said that, when we have to, we like training vocabulary from within the vocabulary editor.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

07/10/2021 04:35 PM

Author Icon
jmcvay

Here is something I do when adding a new word that is not in Dragon's vocabulary. In the "Add word or phrase" pop-up, I type the new word in the left box and then dictate it in the "Spoken form" box. Dragon, of course, won't recognize it my pronunciation as the new word but will enter its best guess, normally a combination of two or more words that almost never appear together in normal text. I don't usually bother training the new word.

I found this approach almost always results in correct recognition of the new word whenever I use it in the future.

James McVay

Statistics
32106 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 530 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 531 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.