KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/19/2021 07:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - rsiman - 06/19/2021 07:47 PM  
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - dilligence - 06/20/2021 09:55 AM  
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/20/2021 03:20 PM  
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - rsiman - 06/23/2021 12:25 PM  
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/23/2021 03:16 PM  
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - ax - 06/20/2021 04:06 PM  
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - monkey8 - 06/21/2021 06:45 AM  
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - pdc0625 - 09/17/2021 06:40 PM  
 Dragon no longer working with Google Chrome for me   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/18/2021 05:54 PM  
Keyword
 06/19/2021 07:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rsiman

I used to be able to use Dragon to write directly into the Google Chrome search bar as well as various text box on Google Chrome, but I am no longer able to do that. I don't know what changed. I was not using the Google Chrome web extension for Dragon because that made it so you couldn't do that, I installed it briefly but it didn't work so I uninstalled it and since uninstalling it I can no longer type directly into Google Chrome which greatly decreases my speed. For example, I had to use the dictation box in order to write this post and could not write it directly into the text box on the website. Wonder if anyone else is have this issue and can help, or knows how to fix this. I also upgraded from Dragon version 15 to the latest update version 15.63 or something I can't remember, and the recognition of my words has been worsens since

06/20/2021 09:55 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

06/20/2021 03:20 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

Dragon R&D cost$ a small fortune. Nuance doesn't make a dime on this work and if they didn't feel it was critical, they would not have done it. When you disable the Dragon extension you are also disabling Dragon's Active Accessibility (the ability to click on links, buttons, controls) and Select-&-Say dictation (the ability to select text and dictate with automatic capitalization and proper spacing).

If you reenable the Dragon extension and close & re-launch Google Chrome, you will see a green • in the DragonBar when you place your cursor inside of many browser fields; all fields on this website). You will not only be able to dictate but you will additionally be able to take advantage of full Select-&-Say (like dictating into Microsoft Word or DragonPad).

By now you might be thinking something like “this idiot probably thinks Congressman never lie either”. Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy. For example, if you place your cursor in your browser address field, you will no longer see the DragonBar green • because you are attempting to dictate into a non-Dragon friendly environment. In other words, the Dragon extension does not enable dictation everywhere in any browser. Even more confusing, if you disable the Dragon extension, you may be able to dictate into the address field. Making matters even more complicated, you may have no problem dictating into the address field one day but unable to dictate into the address field another day. Welcome to our world, which undoubtably brought you here. Fortunately you're in the right place or even the only place

Many of us are able to Select-&-Say dictate in many Google Chrome fields but after dictating for 20 minutes, we receive an error about the Dragon extension and then lose the ability to dictate. The only way we can reenable the Dragon extension is to close and re-launch Chrome but again, it will only last for 20 minutes.

Solution: Switch to Microsoft Edge which uses the same Dragon Google Chrome extension but is bulletproof. It will never eject the Dragon extension and is even a little smarter. Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution. You will never see the DragonBar green • (at least this year) when you attempt to dictate into any browser address field so you may or may not be able to dictate. You may be able to dictate into the address field one day but not another. This can be as aggravating as the Big Haired Lady putting out her lit filterless Camel cigarette in my ear. Getting back on track…

We developed a third-party command utility called KnowBrainer 2017. We can dictate literally anywhere with proper spacing and capitalization with the KnowBrainer Type <dictation> command. For example, if we say Type <I did not handle Donald Trumps taxes> KnowBrainer will force type “I did not handle Donald Trumps taxes”. We won't have Select-&-Say but we do have the ability to edit/correct with proper spacing and even capitalization. HOWEVER, we don't have to do this because we never have to place our cursor in the address field to begin with. Example: We can go to nearly any website homepage, even when our cursor is not in a browser, by saying Browse to <dictation>. If we say Browse to <BBC> KnowBrainer will switch to our (or your) favorite browser, type BBC into the address field, add www. to the beginning, add .com to the end of the text and proceed to the BBC website. However, if we just want to research, we substitute Google for <dictation>. Dictation is only 50% of the speech recognition equation. You are missing out on the other half.

PS: If you need to do a lot of Direct Dictation, into the same field, you might consider DragonCapture. If you would prefer transferring your dictation from a significantly faster Dictation Box, you might want to check out SP Pro. It really depends on your preference.

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/23/2021 12:25 PM

Author Icon
rsiman

Thank you so much, this is a very helpful and comprehensive response. I didn't even notice that green dot before, so I guess I'm very novice. I purchased voice computer but I have not found it very helpful, could I purchase no brain or (spelled incorrectly, but talking about no-brainer) and use that even though I have voice computer installed? I guess, and maybe I should make a separate post, I had Dragon for a year but still feel completely novice and am looking for how to improve on it as I need to eventually become hands-free. Do you have any recommendations of where to start, a post to look at, someone who will help train you in Dragon for low cost or free as I haven't been working, what software's I might buy? Sorry if this is a lot to ask, I have an RSI and have been trying to figure out Dragon for quite some time on my own but that hasn't worked

06/23/2021 03:16 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

What is KnowBrainer includes a definition of KnowBrainer 2017 (w/2020 AI Commands). The KnowBrainer Quickstart details our top 20 most commonly used commands with definitions and examples.

VoiceComputer and KnowBrainer 2017 play well together but before purchasing, we recommend a 30 day KnowBrainer 2017 Trial

You might also consider the KnowBrainer Dragon Installation/Training Guide, which is complementary to our Dragon customers. This guide also details removing 3 dozen sandtraps

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/20/2021 04:06 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Just an aside on what folks mean by "Google Search Bar".

If you mean the Google search field in the middle of a Google.xxx page, that's one thing.  But most folks refer to the so-called Chrome "Omnibox", aka "address bar", as the "Google Search Bar".

As a security measure, address bars on all major browsers (Chrome, Edge, IE, Firefox) are treated a little differently.  There must be some "pre-processing" going on in those fields that eludes casual users like myself.

Try pasting (Ctrl-v) "javascript" into any address bar of any browser on Windows, 100% of times it works.

Try pasting (Ctrl-v) "javascript:" into any address bar, 99% of times it doesn't work.

That's been a well-documented, near universal feature since circa 2011.

That kinda tells us that address bars are treated quite differently from other "standard" input fields on Windows (insofar as such even exist).

Furthermore, from what I have been told, to this day DMO is having problem working seamlessly on Chrome-based Meditech EHR by frequently missing first word or few words.  Instead, the server-side "embedded" Dragon gives you 100% Select-and-Say in dedicated browser sessions (lack of command capabilities aside).

And from my own testing of the same browser sessions, WSR entirely stops working on them (that WSR is considered a "dying technology" completely notwithstanding - it just doesn't work at all and gives a user no rhymes or feedback, not unlike the automatic keyword stripping on address bar).

Therefore, it remains a small observation from this dodo here (who doesn't even have any version of client-side Dragon at the moment): that Select-and-Say even works on some browser windows and in some browser input fields is a "small miracle".  One really can't expect client-side Dragon to pull off major acts of exorcism on address bars where major developers even put up gates for decades-old copy-and-paste.

06/21/2021 06:45 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: rsiman I used to be able to use Dragon to write directly into the Google Chrome search bar as well as various text box on Google Chrome, but I am no longer able to do that. I don't know what changed. I was not using the Google Chrome web extension for Dragon because that made it so you couldn't do that, …

It will be because of the following issue:

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=34502&highlight_key=y&keyword1=nsuser#178978

The version of Chrome will likely be higher e.g. 91 but also check the global dictation setting.

[chrome|91.0\Compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1

[.Global\Compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1

If you dictation accuracy has got worse for whatever reason best just to create a new user profile in the first instance and then take it from there. 

09/17/2021 06:40 PM

Author Icon
pdc0625

I have been using DPI 15 on my desktop and DMP 4 on a laptop. I have had similar issues with using D(PI/MP) in Chrome as have others, perhaps more than others. I discovered that I had 2 extensions, Dragon Web Extension for Chrome and Dragon Medical Web Extension for Chrome, both of which were active in Chrome. When I turned one of them off, the errors became a little less annoying. Is there any practical difference between the two? Which extension may I delete with least resulting problems?
 09/18/2021 05:54 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The Dragon Web Extension for Chrome and Edge should only be used with DPI 15. The Medical extension should only be used with DMPE 4.3.1. We recommend uninstalling or disabling the incorrect extensions.

Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32106 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 409 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 409 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.