KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/01/2021 11:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/01/2021 11:43 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - R. Wilke - 06/01/2021 12:41 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/01/2021 09:31 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - R. Wilke - 06/02/2021 02:42 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/20/2021 09:00 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Alan Cantor - 06/01/2021 11:05 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - dilligence - 06/01/2021 11:33 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/20/2021 09:04 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/20/2021 09:02 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Alan Cantor - 06/02/2021 10:43 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Alan Cantor - 06/02/2021 10:59 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - R. Wilke - 06/02/2021 12:51 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/20/2021 09:11 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - PG LTU - 06/02/2021 02:20 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/02/2021 02:47 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/20/2021 10:34 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - PG LTU - 06/02/2021 04:04 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Ag - 06/15/2021 07:32 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ax - 06/15/2021 08:40 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Ag - 06/16/2021 07:26 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/22/2021 03:26 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Stephan Kuepper - 06/16/2021 03:26 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ax - 06/16/2021 10:09 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - PG LTU - 06/16/2021 05:29 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Ag - 06/16/2021 07:36 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/22/2021 03:44 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/22/2021 01:28 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 06/24/2021 12:28 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Stephan Kuepper - 07/01/2021 04:15 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Matt_Chambers - 07/01/2021 08:01 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ilox - 07/02/2021 06:38 AM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - Ag - 06/16/2021 07:44 PM  
 How to stop Dragon capitalising a new line?   - ax - 06/22/2021 10:50 PM  
Keyword
 06/01/2021 11:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Australia has a huge digital repository of newspapers, journals, images, government Gazette's et cetera, called Trove. They have over 6 billion items, most of them digitised and freely available to anybody in the World.  Find it at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/ 
Thousands of Volunteers edit the OCR text created from the images. As a volunteer for many years I have corrected over 10,000 words. Most of the time using Dragon when I start an entry in a new line Dragon will automatically capitalise it. Because it has come from a newspaper most times it does not need a capital. Instead of having to say "No Cap That" all the time is there a setting I can trigger which will turn this off as a default?
Is it something to do with Formatting?

Sample video at https://www.loom.com/share/aa5c5b37d8844d10b83c025efd4b2411

-------------------------

Cheers, Ian
Microphone: Sennheiser SC 230 USB
desktop PC: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i5–4590 CPU, 20 gig DDR3 RAM, ASUS H97M–E motherboard, Dragon 14 DPI
netbook: HP Folio 9470m, Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Atom CPU N270, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, Dragon 12.5 premium

06/01/2021 12:41 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Ian, thanks for the video, which explains it all, but sorry, no chance. Because you are switching to a new input text field when moving to the next line, Dragon has been programmed to assume, and has to assume, that you are the start of a new paragraph, deciding upon this automatically. Therefore, no space in front, and the first letter in capitals. And there is no setting for altering this behaviour.

If you think of it, it does make sense. Because if it didn't work like that, almost everyone would be unhappy, to put it mildly, in most situations. By the same token, you wouldn't appreciate also the automatic "no space" missing if Dragon assumed that continuous formatting is required.

Just stick with "no caps" for when this is needed, as that should be the best way to handle this situation.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

06/01/2021 09:31 PM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Thanks, Rudiger, I was hopeful that there might have been some way to fix this nuisance. I only want it for working in Trove, the rest of the time it does a good job. Unfortunately, by the time you have corrected a half-page article you have had to say No Caps around 60 times. It really gets annoying. Sigh.
Another bug bear is that it will not undo properly. If I say -"Undo" it will jump back to the line above and undo the last correction I had made in that line.
Don't get me wrong, with Dragon I can fairly zip through the corrections - and as you saw from that page - corrections are often sorely needed. The History tied up in the newspapers cannot be discovered if it isn't in a form that can be read and indexed.
By the way - off topic - trawling through those papers you will find lots of references to events in the US & Europe over the years, especially during the War years. It is free for anybody to research and copy.

Cheers, Ian
desktop PC: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i5–4590 CPU, 20 gig DDR3 RAM, ASUS H97M–E motherboard, Dragon 14 DPI
netbook: HP Folio 9470m, Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Atom CPU N270, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, Dragon 12.5 premium

06/02/2021 02:42 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Ian,

If the version of Dragon allows for creating custom scripts, I would go with Alan's suggestion.

The "undo" capability is not a Dragon thing. It depends on if and how "undo" is implemented in the text editor or text field you are targeting. Try pressing Ctrl + z, and you will get the idea.

DragonCapture Homepage

06/20/2021 09:00 PM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Thank you, Rudiger. I am using DPI 14 with knowbrainer 2017 so going to work on some scripting. Thank you for your help.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Cheers, Ian

06/01/2021 11:05 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Instead of tabbing between fields, consider using a custom command something like this one, which I named "Press Next."

Sub Main
SendKeys "{Tab}", True
HeardWord ("\no-caps")
End Sub

06/01/2021 11:33 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

If you don't mind pressing one single button prior to your dictation, then Hotkeys for Dragon® will force your dictation to lowercase. Simply by inserting the native Dragon "\no-caps" command into any of the 72 edit fields:

So in this example you would press F1 and start speaking in lowercase . You can do the same with the next entry in Trove.

What about using Alan's suggestion and combine both actions into one single hotkey (F2)?

Hotkeys for Dragon® is part of both SP 6 Standard and PRO. It allows you to create a Hotkey of any Dragon® voice command.

06/20/2021 09:04 PM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Thank you for that suggestion but as I am on a limited Aged Pension I will not be able to take you up on the suggestion.

Cheers, Ian

06/20/2021 09:02 PM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Thank you, Alan. I have taken a copy of that and we will try and put that into my knowbrainer 2017 and see how that works.

Cheers, Ian

06/02/2021 10:43 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Although I suggested using a custom command, I'm not sure it's the best approach. A custom command means being forced to remember something new, whereas prefacing a word with "no caps" is consistent with the way that Dragon normally works.

You already know how to use "no caps" so there is less to learn. I won't go as far as to suggest there is nothing to learn, as you currently are not in the habit of saying "no caps" after tabbing into a field. Changing a habit is not easy.

It's hard to anticipate the unexpected "side effects" of introducing a new custom command. For example, you may discover that my command gets triggered accidentally in other contexts. One way to minimize this likelihood is to rename the command to something unique and multisyllabic. But even long and weird names can be activated inadvertently.

If you opt to use my command, my suggestion is to treat it as temporary. When you're not engaged in fixing scanned articles, disable or delete the custom command.
 06/02/2021 10:59 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I just re-watched your video, and noticed that you're using "tab" to navigate. I avoid using "tab" as it's one syllable long, and my experience has been that Dragon misrecognizes monosyllabic words/commands more often than polysyllabic ones. My habit is to say "press tab" instead.

But since we're on the topic of habits, and your habit is to say "tab," I wondered what would happen if I renamed my command "Tab." I was surprised to discover that my substitute "Tab" took precedence over the built-in "tab."

If you decide to do this, I suggest you disable or delete the command when you're not working in Trove. There may be side-effects that you don't want to find out about! This is an example of a situation when the use of a temporary command is an appropriate way to deal with a short-term access need.
 06/02/2021 12:51 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Alan, I agree that going with and sticking with the built in facilities is always the easiest way to go and the path of least resistance. Whenever "customising" the factory defaults, you will have to keep track carefully of what you did actually, and chances are that you are likely going to forget and end up mixing things up. Which is why I recommended sticking with the "no caps" approach initially. Another reason being that you may not always want the first word in the line being noncapitalised, depending on context, but of course a custom script couldn't tell the difference and would leave you disappointed every time it turns out to defeat the purpose.

DragonCapture Homepage

06/20/2021 09:11 PM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke... Another reason being that you may not always want the first word in the line being noncapitalised, depending on context, but of course a custom script couldn't tell the difference and would leave you disappointed every time it turns out to defeat the purpose.
That is correct, Rudiger. Sometimes I simply need to just step down line by line and only make a correction perhaps one word in a line might be out of order so I do not need to replace every line. Luckily, for the purpose of demonstration, I lucked into a very awful OCR record as it quite aptly showed how things can really go wrong. That is not the norm and so there might be times when I just simply tab through and make one correction in 25 lines. There might be other days when I find an absolute mess as I showed in that video.

I guess what I am trying to say is I do not really want to have an automatic removal of a line nor do I want to have an automatic capitalisation of a line. I think I need to use 2 commands: 1 just to step down through the lines.
2 a command that will step down, clear the line, send the No Caps command so that I can start work.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all but life goes on. Appreciate all the wonderful help that's been offered.

Cheers, Ian

06/02/2021 02:20 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

For me, having done something so similar it isn't funny, I got used to saying "tab no cap" when I wanted to advance to the next field and then pause before figuring out what goes in that next text field and generally not wanting it to be capped. I also use "new line" and "next line" differently in my dictation and "new line" has the formatting set to "next word with no capitals".

But since then, I have a version of pgEmulate.vbs that after every paste, tabs to next field and copies the current text (^a^c) to populate it (^v) into the pgEmulate input box for full Select-and-Say correction there. Then I say "OK" to paste the result and, as I say, tab to the next field, etc. This could easily allow for automatically adding the \no-caps emulation part to the paste by converting the first letter of the result to lcase.

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

06/02/2021 02:47 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

How about taking it to the next level with the KnowBrainer Next Tab <dictation> command? For example, if you say Next Tab <it wasn't me officer>. This command will move focus to the next tab/field and type “it wasn't me officer”. This command eliminates a step. Here is the script which you can copy and Dragon:

Sub Main
SendKeys "{Tab}"
Wait 0.2
SendKeys ListVar1
End Sub

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/20/2021 10:34 PM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt How about taking it to the next level with the KnowBrainer Next Tab command? For example, if you say Next Tab . This command will move focus to the next tab/field and type “it wasn't me officer”. This command eliminates a step. Here is the script which you can copy and Dragon:

Sub Main

SendKeys "{Tab}"
Wait 0.2
SendKeys ListVar1
 End Sub

Thank you, Lunis, that does sound like a good start.
Perhaps I should mention that by selecting Tab it goes to the next line and highlights the whole line so that if I want to make a change particularly if it is all crudly then I am ready to dictate once I tell it to No Caps. If I do not need to make a change then I will just Tab to the following line. If I need to make a change within the line I click on that word or characters and make the change.
As was saying to Rudiger, I do not have to change every line, much of the OCR is pretty close but sometimes it completely loses the plot. An apt reflection is an elephant with diarrhoea :-) Check out https://youtu.be/FVy0yYdK15c 

I do appreciate all of the very interesting advice has been offered and somewhere in all of that I think there is a solution to the problem.

Last question, there was a suggestion of making such a script Application Specific but I do not think that is granular enough to make it specific to a particular webpage and only on that webpage. Have I got that right?

Cheers, Ian

06/02/2021 04:04 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

+1 Interesting, Lunis.

So Ian would be in the line he was working on. And when done say "tab whatever" and that whatever is what he wants the _next_ line to say. So before sending the keys with the whatever, to get that first letter lcased, simply replace with SendKeys lcase(Left(ListVar1,1)) + mid(ListVar1,2) and enjoy.

Also, depending on the behavior, when landing on the next line, perhaps he'll need to "select all" in the line first (^a) and/or delete the current contents ({del}) in order to then send the (modified) ListVar1 into a now empty field or one with text highlighted for replacement?

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

06/15/2021 07:32 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

I found auto-capitalization frustrating, so I wrote an AutoHotKey command that does "lowercase lock". at the moment it makes every letter be lowercase. Even when you press shift+{letter}. it works for Dragon Dictation, including that emitted by DragonCapture, because AHK seems to be "underneath" Dragon.

hmmm... I wonder if I could make it accept some sort of prefix to capitalize the first letter of the next word. Or similarly ALLCAPS. requires state, but AHK hotkeys and hotstrings easily support state, unlike Dragon commands.

essentially I would be writing my own caps/allcap/nocaps in AutoHotKey, overriding Dragon's versions. I suspect it can be done, and the biggest annoyance would be that Dragon has already used the words caps/allcaps/nocaps.

As usual, I wonder if anybody has already done this. I doubt it, because I asked about that before I wrote lowercase lock.

It should also be possible to have an option to implicitly capitalize at the beginning of sentences, recognizing sentence terminators like period/. exclamation-mark/!, question-mark/?. it should be possible to make this work even when Dragon doesn't, even when one is intermixing dictation and typing. I often find that I dictate the words, but type the punctuation, since I hate saying "period", etc.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

06/15/2021 08:40 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Ag

It should also be possible to have an option to implicitly capitalize at the beginning of sentences, recognizing sentence terminators like period/. exclamation-mark/!, question-mark/?. it should be possible to make this work even when Dragon doesn't, even when one is intermixing dictation and typing. I often find that I dictate the words, but type the punctuation, since I hate saying "period", etc.

Basically you want to re-create the punctuation awareness in "Select-And-Say".

Quite a while ago I came across a tip, either here from the usual afficionados, or on Stack Overflow / Reddit - can't remember where exactly, that on Notepad (which is already "Select-And-Say" aware, therefore redundant) and web browsers (which are often not Select-And-Say aware), pressing "Ctrl-Shift-Left" will select the word with punctuation just to the left of caret.

So by invoking "Ctrl-Shift-Left Arrow" in whichever script you are implementing, you can approximate some sort of "contextual awareness" of punctuations as you go.

That's right up the alley with AHK.  

In reality, however, for most of my own workflow, I have found it far more conducive just to do minor "post-hoc" processing, as there are often blank lines / carriage returns I wish to clean up, too. 

A primitive AHK script with a few simple lines of sequential RegExReplace on clipboard is all it would take.

06/16/2021 07:26 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Rather than shift-ctrl-left (right/up/down/PgUp/PgDown)

IMHO better to do shift-left (right/up/down/PgUp/PgDown)

^C or ^X  the character to the clipboard

and inspect in your code. This way you can add all of the flexibility that emacs has in syntax tables,  clean up the surrounding stuff, etc.

I started writing this a month or so ago, and then the Vocola guy posted about his approximate DragonCapture, that did stuff like this, but also remembered what he had recently  inserted. In other words it sounds like he's done most of what I want to do. Unfortunately, I can't find the post anymore :-(

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

06/22/2021 03:26 AM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Originally posted by: Ag ...   It should also be possible to have an option to implicitly capitalize at the beginning of sentences, recognizing sentence terminators like period/. exclamation-mark/!, question-mark/?. it should be possible to make this work even when Dragon doesn't, even when one is intermixing dictation and typing.
In my specialized case (in Trove) that next line might start with a Capital even without any puctuation in the line above should there be a name or a title mid-sentence etc.. 
Also
I often find that I dictate the words, but type the punctuation, since I hate saying "period", etc.
In our Australian English we don't call it a "period", we call it a "full-stop". Imagine how easy it is to get tongue-tied and obliterate those words by the end of a dictation setting. Especially within Trove as the punctuation is, of course, archaic. So Dragon loves to replace "Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Jones" with "Mr and Mrs A J Jones." Thus I need to say "full-stop" far more times than just at the end of a sentence. I can't get away with just "dot" either. That is treated like a character and not punctuation therefore no automatic space to follow its use. If I just used 'dot; it would look like this, "Mr.and Mrs.A.J.Jones".
So I end up having to teach Dragon punctuation rules of the last century when it is trying its hardest to use modern grammatical standards.
And don't even get into the problems I have trying to teach Dragon how to use the newspapers collective title for a group of lads or men, Messrs, when it will automagically start to Train the full word "Messuires"?

Cheers, Ian

06/16/2021 03:26 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Alan Cantor said this on 06/02/2021: "If you decide to do this, I suggest you disable or delete the command when you're not working in Trove."

I'd just make the command application specific.

As an aside, the "Ctrl-Shift-Left" to select the word with punctuation just to the left of caret has been around for literally decades. Remember, there used to be times when you didn't have a mouse.

HTH, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

06/16/2021 10:09 AM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Stephan Kuepper ...   

As an aside, the "Ctrl-Shift-Left" to select the word with punctuation just to the left of caret has been around for literally decades. Remember, there used to be times when you didn't have a mouse. ...

Quite likely I learned about it here.  There is also a little bit of an application-specific wrinkle as I recall:

In Notepad etc (and possibly my EMR), that "Ctrl-Shift-Left" selects the left-most word with trailing punctuation.  In Notepad++ and MS Word, it selects the punctuation itself even if it trails the previous word without space.  So a little bit of program/window-specific processing is required.

Anyway, it was only marginally useful when I was trying to shoehorn a bit of punctuation-awareness into MModal, which approached all input fields with straight regurgitation (ala Dragon Capture I'd reckon).  Speaking of 3MModal, I don't recall that devil ever putting out "double letters" across Citrix (even from the client side), or in anywhere else.

Back to OP, since what the OP does borders on a very specific, extremely repetitive task, using something akin to the Orby Switch from X-Keys or doing it wirelessly with something along the line of the Swifty, invoking any kind of scripting (AHK/VB etc etc for post-processing, ie., Ctrl-AC followed by lower-casing the clipboard) will probably be less tiresome in the long run than utterring the identical verbal command hundreds of times a day.

Personally, I have a limit even as to how many times I can utter "select" or "scratch that" within a given span before it gets old, FAST.  The Pollyanna in me is couting on "brainwave AI" ... eventually.

Until then, a wireless hardware button taped to your desk might just be the most user-friendly hack.

06/16/2021 05:29 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: ax Personally, I have a limit even as to how many times I can utter "select" or "scratch that" within a given span before it gets old, FAST. 

Until then, a wireless hardware button taped to your desk might just be the most user-friendly hack.

That reminds me that one great application for *single key* shortcuts is a little ahk script that keeps them "active" for 5 seconds or so from any recognition.

So if while dictating a passage and after a recognition I hit the "s" key, I get a "scratch that" the "c" key gives me a "correct that" the "e" key gives me a "go to end of paragraph" the "b" key gives me "go back" and etc.  After the time elapses, the keys behave normally, or if I press any other key it cancels the activation until the next recognition restarts the timer.

I also have the "q" and "w" mapped to "left" and "right" arrows because after "correct that" I use these instead of the actual arrow keys to select utterances or parts thereof for correction because my left hand is already over that part of the keyboard and the right hand often remains on the mouse. Lastly, I have the "r" key call up a pgEmulate input box filled with the words "resume with" (and a trailing space) and awaiting my dictated phrase to do the resume with substitution.

PG

06/16/2021 07:36 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: PG LTU one great application for *single key* shortcuts is a little ahk script that keeps them "active" for 5 seconds or so from any recognition.

GREAT IDEA !!

Q:  is there any way to do the equivalent of that in Dragon?

E.g. instead of saying START COMMAND MODE ...   and then having to terminate it with something like START NORMAL MODE, just say  START COMMANDS ...   and speak until you pause for long enough. Thereby avoiding the "I was in command mode or number mode or MODE and then I left for 10 minutes" problem. It should always be possible to provide the  termination, but it's nice to have an implicit termination after a timeout.

Hmmm...   Might be hard to do in stateless Dragon or KnowBrainer code, but if the speech command calls something like AutoHotKey or Python, a persistent script can set the timer.

( And if you know how to set persistent state across Dragon commands, that's nice, but I don't want to hear about it since I spent too much time doing other things. :-)

06/22/2021 03:44 AM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Originally posted by: Stephan Kuepper Alan Cantor said this on 06/02/2021: "If you decide to do this, I suggest you disable or delete the command when you're not working in Trove." I'd just make the command application specific.
Umm, when I access Trove it is through Chrome, same as I am accessing this site. I don't think I can be in Chrome and make Dragon work differently, website to website, can I? Isn't the Application, "Chrome"?

Cheers, Ian

06/22/2021 01:28 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Have you tried changing the properties of the new line command in the Vocabulary Editor so that it doesn't automatically capitalize the 1st word in the next line? Also note that KnowBrainer 2017 (w/2020 AI Commands) includes the Print <dictation> command which will allow you to Force Dictate anything in lowercase. In other words you can say full stop, new line and then dictate your 1st phrase as Print <my dog has fleas> to type “my dog has fleas”. You would only have to use this command on lines that you wish to force lowercase (one time). If you are not using KnowBrainer, you can copy the following KnowBrainer script as an Dragon Advanced-Scripting command:

Sub Main
SendKeys ListVar1
Wait 0.2
SendKeys " "
End Sub

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

06/24/2021 12:28 AM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Thanks, Lunis. I always start Dragon by starting Knowbrainer 2017. I wouldn't work Dragon without it. Thank you for such a really useful tool.

I don't know - or have forgotten - how to make scripts such as those that you have suggested. Sorry.

Cheers, Ian

07/01/2021 04:15 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: ilox
Originally posted by: Stephan Kuepper Alan Cantor said this on 06/02/2021: "If you decide to do this, I suggest you disable or delete the command when you're not working in Trove." I'd just make the command application specific.
Umm, when I access Trove it is through Chrome, same as I am accessing this site. I don't think I can be in Chrome and make Dragon work differently, website to website, can I? Isn't the Application, "Chrome"?

Sorry, I didn't know that. You can make a command window-specific. That may be worth a try. I'm quite sure that you can't make it tab-specific, though.

HTH, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

07/01/2021 08:01 AM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Have you considered using a dedicated browser for Trove, such as Brave, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox?  All are free; the first two are based on the open-source Chromium engine, as is Chrome.  If you do that, you can make the command specific to that browser and not affect your use of Chrome.

I use a dedicated browser for a certain parasitic social media site, mostly to make it harder for that social media company to steal my private information.

07/02/2021 06:38 AM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Originally posted by: Matt_Chambers
Have you considered using a dedicated browser for Trove, such as Brave, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox? 
All are free; the first two are based on the open-source Chromium engine, as is Chrome.  If you do that, you can make the command specific to that browser and not affect your use of Chrome.
I use a dedicated browser for a certain parasitic social media site, mostly to make it harder for that social media company to steal my private information.
Thank you, Matt. I honestly hadn't considered such an arrangement but you are correct. If I did use a specific browser for a specific product then it could be made Application-specific. I have no idea how I wouls script it to do that but it certainly gives a much wider scope for a solution than I was seeing before.

Cheers, Ian

06/16/2021 07:44 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Repetitive commands: it is a good pattern to create ad hoc commands that do exactly what you want for a specific tabs

e.g. tab three fields ahead, type Y, tab to it fields ahead, press Enter ...

and then disable or throw the commands out when you have finished that repetitive task [*]

Rather than trying to craft generic commands that can be used all over the place, but which require more verbosity for one specific task.

*: actually, don't throw the commands out, archive or version control then and use as a base the  next time you have a similar repetitive task. But pull them out of your active command set.

@ax suggests hardware buttons or switches: ... the Orby Switch from X-Keys ... Swifty ... less tiresome in the long run than utterring the identical verbal command hundreds of times a day. ... "brainwave AI" ...Until then, a wireless hardware button taped to your desk might just be the most user-friendly hack.

At this very moment I have an  independent numeric keypad (which also happens to be a mouse)  sitting write next to my PC. On the left-hand side, because my left hand is stronger than my right hand.

I have AHK bindings to various NumPad keys,  for a very repetitive task that I am about halfway through.  something like adding <MEDICAL>, <EDUCATION>,  tags for tax purposes.

I started doing that with ad hoc speech commands, but after a day my voice started going. The keyboard or switch bindings were less onerous.

For that matter, I have also done this with the wrist-worn Bluetooth media remotes. It's nice not to be anchored  to the desk where my number pad sitting. Unfortunately media remotes don't have many buttons: my favorite, that I am wearing right now, has only two useful buttons and I am already using those for microphone on and microphone off. A clumsy or version has five useful buttons.

Xkeys, Legato. The TAP keyboard. The GAUNTLET keyboard. The Twiddler chording keyboard ( although I do not have enough manual  dexterity to use the twiddler successfully -  it causes my good hand to  cramps and spasm.)

I have a collection of funky UI devices, various gamer joysticks and keypads. If the repetitive task looks like it's going to take several weeks, I might go and write bindings.

For the last two weeks I have been lusting after the Dumang DK6 and sibs - Dumang DK6 Keyboard (xahlee.info).     each key can be separately positioned -  not just on a grid, but almost randomly on its substrate.  each key can be separately programmedfor arbitrary  scan codes and macros.   unfortunately, the keys are standard keyboard sizes, but I wonder if you could use some linkage to allow bigger buttons on top of these key modules.

a wireless numeric keypad might be OK, if it could be attached to a strap and worn.

Come to think of it, there are quite a few android and iPhone apps that can send keys to a PC or Mac. You could strap that to your forearm or possibly your belly.  (caveat: I have done a lot of shopping for such apps, and I haven't found any that are really good.)

06/22/2021 10:50 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Ag

..., and then the Vocola guy posted about his approximate DragonCapture, that did stuff like this, but also remembered what he had recently inserted. In other words it sounds like he's done most of what I want to do. Unfortunately, I can't find the post anymore :-(

Has got to be the "Vortex" thing mentioned below, Ag:

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=25&threadid=35343&highlight_key=y#186063

Statistics
32107 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 432 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 433 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.