KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Keyboard shortcut for new folder no longer works in Windows Explorer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/10/2021 06:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 05/10/2021 06:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

Has anybody ever experienced this before? On Windows 10, in the default file Explorer, the default "new folder" keyboard shortcut control + shift + n suddenly no longer works.

Google troubleshooting has revealed a lot of people who have problems with the "new folder" option no longer appearing on their right click/context menu. This issue is resolved by updating the registry, but that's not my problem. The "new folder" option still appears in my context menu, it's just that the control + shift + n shortcut has stopped working.

I realize this is a general Windows problem not a Dragon problem; however I thought some people on here might have run into this because so many of us rely on Dragon sending keyboard shortcuts to get around our files.

Screenshot of my context menu, which has all the options I want, but no longer has keyboard shortcut:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmclc7xs6l198ne/2021_05_10_context%20menu%20no%20keyboard%20shortcut.png?dl=0

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

05/10/2021 09:28 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You may have used this shortcut in another application. Can you substitute with the following:

Sub Main
SendKeys "+{F10}"
Wait 0.1
SendKeys "w"
Wait 0.1
SendKeys "f"
End Sub

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/11/2021 12:56 AM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

That was it, thank you. Somehow I assigned the "next field" command to control + shift + n in Dragon.

I will know how to troubleshoot this next time. Thanks.

05/11/2021 09:37 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I didn't realize there was the Ctrl + Shift + N shortcut. I wish I had known years ago, and now it doesn't even work!

However, the reason some people are not seeing "New Folder" in the context menu has nothing to do with a Windows Update. It's because there are two context menus in the pane that contains the list of files and folders in File Explorer.

One context menu appears when a file or folder has keyboard focus; and a different context menu appears when the pane itself has keyboard focus.

Here's how to display the two different context menus:

1. Left-click a file or folder in File Explorer. (This selects the object and gives it focus.)

2. Right-click the object. You'll see one context menu.

3. Press Esc to cancel the context menu.

4. Press Ctrl + spacebar. (This transfers focus to the container that contains the object that you gave focus to in Step 1.)

5. Right-click the same object from Step 2. You'll see the second context menu.

If you write a Dragon script to create a new folder by simulating keystrokes to invoke the context menu (i.e., Shift + F10), the script will fail when the "wrong" thing has focus. Here is a more reliable method:

SendSystemKeys "{Alt+h}" ' Home menu
SendSystemKeys "n" ' New folder

You may need a short delay between the two steps.

05/11/2021 11:56 AM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

Handy trick regarding control + spacebar, I didn't know that keyboard command. Thanks.

>> I didn't realize there was the Ctrl + Shift + N shortcut. I wish I had known years ago, and now it doesn't even work!

To be clear, it does work. It just was not working for me because I had unknowingly assigned the same keystroke to a command in Dragon, which overrode the Explorer command.

05/11/2021 12:09 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

To be clear, it does work. It just was not working for me because I had unknowingly assigned the same keystroke to a command in Dragon, which overrode the Explorer command.

That also explains why the hotkey wasn't working for me. Thank you!
Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 336 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 336 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.