KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to change the backup location of Dragon user profile?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/04/2021 11:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 How to change the backup location of Dragon user profile?   - wristofdoom - 05/04/2021 11:10 AM  
 How to change the backup location of Dragon user profile?   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/04/2021 12:59 PM  
 How to change the backup location of Dragon user profile?   - monkey8 - 05/05/2021 03:31 AM  
 How to change the backup location of Dragon user profile?   - R. Wilke - 05/05/2021 06:13 AM  
 How to change the backup location of Dragon user profile?   - monkey8 - 05/05/2021 09:17 AM  
 How to change the backup location of Dragon user profile?   - R. Wilke - 05/05/2021 09:24 AM  
 How to change the backup location of Dragon user profile?   - wristofdoom - 05/05/2021 03:16 PM  
Keyword
 05/04/2021 11:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I want to store my profile backups in a directory that is synced with Dropbox. This is to help mitigate my losses in a scenario where my computer completely breaks or gets stolen.

It seems to me like saving the profile backups in the same folder as the Dragon app data by default is pointless for protecting against a total hard drive failure or theft.

However, there doesn't seem to be an option to change the default location of backups. I have clicked through the properties, the advanced settings, and browsed to the location of the user profile from the "Manage User Profiles" screen, but haven't found anything that allows me to change the location of the automatic backups.

I could manually export my profile to a location of my choosing, but I want to automate this backup process to an external folder.

Any ideas?

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

05/04/2021 12:59 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We assume you are running a backup utility such as Acronis True Image. If not, get a backup utility; many are free. Going without a backup utility is equivalent to going without a COVID-19 vaccine.

When you use a backup utility you can add the Dragon %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nuance\NS15\Users\[your username]\backup folder to your cloud backup. Our preference is to backup the entire Dragon user folder. We schedule our Outlook calendar to remind us, to manually backup our user profile to a separate hard drive, which we have created a shortcut to. This gives us 3 complete backups. We do this once a month because if our current user profile becomes corrupted, there is a 20% chance the current corrupted profile could get backed up over the backup folder; rendering both backups useless.

Another option would be to create a shortcut to your user profile on the desktop and Drag-&-Drop your user profile onto a OneDrive shortcut. Your options are nearly limitless. Just remember that if Dragon can't do it, some other utility probably can

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/05/2021 03:31 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

There is no way to specify a different location for the backup folder only. You can specify a different location for the entire hierarchy of user files by clicking on the browse button at the bottom of the manage user profiles dialogue. Therefore you can simply make the default location for your hierarchy of user folders and files a location that is synchronised with dropbox.

Anyway the backup folder is just a belated copy of the current folder so you would be better off synchronising the current folder with dropbox and not the backup folder. As I say the only wait to do this anyway is to change the default location of the user profile folders by clicking on the browse button on the manage user profiles dialogue. Hopefully I am not misunderstanding your question.

05/05/2021 06:13 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Have a look at: Administrative Settings, Miscellaneous, Backup location for user profiles.

According to the help:

You can change the backup location to any directory where Windows has both read and write permissions, including portable devices such as USB sticks and DVD/CD burners. If you change the location, backups for all user profiles are located in the same directory.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

05/05/2021 09:17 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke Have a look at: Administrative Settings, Miscellaneous, Backup location for user profiles.

Nice Catch, but if you do that I would personally change the backup frequency to every 1 save in the "Dragon Options | Data" to make sure you have an up-to-date copy of your user profile on dropbox, the default is every 5 saves. Otherwise I would do as I mentioned above so you have a copy of the current user profile on dropbox.

05/05/2021 09:24 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: monkey8
Originally posted by: R. Wilke Have a look at: Administrative Settings, Miscellaneous, Backup location for user profiles.

Nice Catch, but if you do that I would personally change the backup frequency to every 1 save in the "Dragon Options | Data" to make sure you have an up-to-date copy of your user profile on dropbox, the default is every 5 saves. Otherwise I would do as I mentioned above so you have a copy of the current user profile on dropbox.

Of course. Personally, I don't and wouldn't do it along these lines anyway, and I just go with the defaults, as doing it any other way isn't worth it, in my opinion.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

05/05/2021 03:16 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

Thank you!

I changed my backup location by following Rilke's advice and going to Tools / Administrative settings / Backup location

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 320 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 320 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.