Topic Summary: Accuracy issues with accent
Created On: 04/06/2021 09:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 04/06/2021 09:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AB01296

Has anyone had anyone experienced difficulties dictating with an accent? 

I am currently working with someone who has a Sierra Leone accent, our first dictation accuracy was as to be expected not perfect but not awful but it has just got worse from there. Words are often misheard and are not on the correction list and are still not heard if said again. We have tried two different profiles. Its defiantly Dragon as they do not have any issues using dictation on ISO, Android or the Dictation.io website. We had good accuracy on the Dictation.io website so it does not seam to be an issues with the microphone. There are other profiles on the laptop that do not have any issues. We just seem unable to get dragon to dictate with any level of accuracy. 

Is this to be expected and something other people have found before? Or is there one last trick to try to make Dragon a viable option? 

Many thanks. 

04/06/2021 10:44 AM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

This doesn't sound like a problem related to the user's accent. I wonder if Dragon is listening to the onboard audio of the laptop rather than the microphone. Sometimes strange things happen with the sound settings. I would check to make sure that the right microphone is selected for use with this profile.

-------------------------

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

04/06/2021 10:52 AM

Author Icon
AB01296

Okay, we have tried it on multiple occasions and two different Headset and a Desk mic. We have performed the Microphone check too so it seams unlikely it would default back every time? We could have another go. 

04/06/2021 05:34 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

We agree with the previous sage advice and offer a couple more:

1. Don't waste your time running the Microphone Check because Dragon doesn't discards the training This takes us to #2

2. Consider disabling Dragon's default auto-gain control. This can be accomplished by going through Manage Dictation Sources in DPI 15.61 (not previous releases) and removing the checkmark from Automatically adjust the microphone level as I speak. You will then be prompted to run the Microphone Check which will be preserved and is required. A fair amount of end-user suffer from substandard accuracy with the default auto-gain control.

3. If #2 fails to increase your end users accuracy, you might consider running through legacy training. Dragon 15 appears to have eliminated training but it is still available. We're not certain how to directly access training but if you are using KnowBrainer 2017 all you have to do is a Train Dragon to begin the familiar training.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/06/2021 11:04 AM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

Have you done the following: go to the Control Panel. Choose Hardware and Sound. Under Sound, choose Manage Audio Devices. Click the Recording tab and check to see what microphone is the default device (it will have the green check mark next to it). If whatever microphone you are testing does not have the green check mark next to it, then you have identified your problem. You will need to set it as the default device.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

04/06/2021 11:11 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Is your client dictating long phrases, without pausing? If you want to find out for sure, check the Recognition History. I recently worked with someone who had an accent. They swore they were speaking in long phrases, but the Recognition History revealed that they were actually speaking in one- to three-word bursts. Accuracy significantly improved after I coached the person to aim for a comma or period when dictating: "The weather is warm today comma ... but thunderstorms are expected tonight period"
 04/07/2021 04:15 AM

Author Icon
AB01296

Thanks all, Thats really helpful! I will have a look at the settings and have another go.
Statistics
32168 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 394 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 395 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.