KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Best way to teach Dragon the NATO alphabet for single letter presses?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/13/2021 01:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 03/13/2021 01:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I want to import a list of the NATO alphabet so that I can quickly tell Dragon to quickly spell a single letter. 

Does somebody have a vocabulary list that has the NATO alphabet pronunciations and the "printed form" of the actual alphabet that I can import all at once so that I don't have to sit there adding "A" with the spoken form "alpha", "B" with the spoken form "Bravo"... for the entire alphabet? 

Thanks

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

03/13/2021 02:02 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

The NATO/Military alphabet is built into Dragon.

"press alpha" or "type alpha"
"press bravo" or "type bravo"
etc.

If you want to avoid having to say "press" or "type" before each letter, use the "Spelling Window." (You may need to change a setting in "Tools" > "Options" to use this technique.)

"spell alpha delta zulu zulu" ... "press Enter" or "OK" (or "click OK", depending on your Dragon settings).
 03/13/2021 04:33 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Top-Tier Member

I do want to avoid saying "press", hence why I was thinking of adding them as vocabulary words with alternate spellings.

The spelling window is not available to me in most of my applications where want to use it, so that's not the solution I'm looking for.

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

03/13/2021 07:37 PM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

Can you use "Spell Mode On"/"Spell Mode Off"? If so, you can use the NATO alphabet without importing it into the vocabulary.

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

03/13/2021 08:32 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

This one is probably already included in KB, but for those who don't have it I attached the following DVC command:

Strangely enough "Sierra" is consistently recognized as "Shara" on my system. Therefore  you may want to use that instead.

I've been using "Shangri-La" for years :-). 

Alphabet.xml
Alphabet.xml  (5 KB)

Auto Box© Demo now available

03/14/2021 12:25 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

and as long as we are offering solutions…

I call this command "El <dictation>":

Sub Main

Dim words() As String' dimension a string array

Dim k As Integer

Dim result As String

result = ""

words = Split(ListVar1," ")

For k = 0 To UBound(words)

result = result & Left(words(k), 1)

Next

SendKeys result

End Sub

now you don't have to worry about any special alphabet (although, if you use the trigger "El" you might need to add it as a custom word - try "L <dictation>").

Try uttering "el the quick brown fox" - on my machine the resulting output of letters is virtually instantaneous running as a KnowBrainer command (I could find no documentation for the Split command and Dragon®).

Try uttering "el the quick numeral 1 brown fox": tq1bf

Try uttering "el the quick cap brown fox": tqBf

Try uttering "el the quick caps on brown fox jumped": tqBFJ

Acronym <dictation>

Sub Main
 Dim words() As String' dimension a string array 
 Dim k As Integer
 Dim result As String

result = ""
 words = Split(ListVar1," ")
 For k = 0 To UBound(words)
  result = result & UCase(Left(words(k), 1))
 Next
 SendKeys result
End Sub

Try uttering "acronym the quick brown fox"

Try uttering "acronym the quick numeral 1 brown fox"

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

03/14/2021 02:49 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Personally, I find it difficult to understand why literally everyone responding to this thread doesn't actually read the question, but goes on providing alleged solutions no one has asked for.

Quite clearly, the OP asked for a vocabulary solution, when everyone keeps responding by offering command solutions.

Is this really just an attention span problem, or what else is going on around here?

To the OP:

That particular set of vocabulary probably doesn't exist, so you would have to roll your own. Whether or not such a type of vocabulary would be useful or not, practically, would be up for grabs. I would suggest starting with a small set, containing such common words as "Mike", for instance.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

03/14/2021 03:55 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke

Personally, I find it difficult to understand why literally everyone responding to this thread doesn't actually read the question, but goes on providing alleged solutions no one has asked for.

Quite clearly, the OP asked for a vocabulary solution, when everyone keeps responding by offering command solutions. Is this really just an attention span problem, or what else is going on around here?

To the OP:

That particular set of vocabulary probably doesn't exist, so you would have to roll your own. Whether or not such a type of vocabulary would be useful or not, practically, would be up for grabs. I would suggest starting with a small set, containing such common words as "Mike", for instance.

WowWee!  Agent Smithie is krankee!  I might be a tad irascible myself this weekend while missing an hour of zee, thanks to DST!  But day-light saving in Deutschland is not until Mar 28th! 

I thought Alan mentioned that these NATO phonetics are "built-in" already.

In fact they are built even right into my "monkey Dragon".  We don't have "press" or "type".  But if I say "spell out alpha bravo charlie" in "Dragon Medical Embedded" - out comes "abc" ...

Of course, to avoid saying "press/type/spell out", then words like "uniform" in spoken form would always come out as "u", which I personally cannot wrap my head around (more than "attention span" I think) because words like "uniform" are in common usage. 

If OP really wishes to go the shortest route (after she clarified following Alan's post), perhaps she is better off adopting a "non-NATO" set of custom alphabets by training words such as "U-Boat" to stand in for "u".

03/14/2021 04:18 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

AX, no amount of trying to be funny could disguise the fact that you are completely missing the point, but rather contributing to the assumption of "short attention span" being a major problem around here. Unless you are here to BS me.

The OP quite clearly stated that he doesn't want any sort of "spell" command approach. The solution you are offering has been around since early after World War II. Do your homework, and consider coming back at me for when you are more witty than that.

DragonCapture Homepage

03/15/2021 09:07 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

When the NATO alphabet was dropped, we tried all sorts of vocabulary solutions. None of them worked. The suggestions above ("spell..." or Lunis's neat command) are the way to go.

Just to show that we did put in time: we created a list with written/spoken forms for the whole alphabet, including variations (German has a few), set the properties to "no space before" resp. "no space after" and tested the hell out of it. Half of the time, the actual word would be given preference over the letter; with the rest, Dragon never got the spacing quite right. Had it worked, we would have sold it. Since it didn't, we advise users to either type the odd name, or use the "Spell..." command.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

03/15/2021 11:28 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Stephan,

This is pretty much what I would have expected and why my advice had meant to try it, but not to do it all at once but rather start with a few items before investing too much time and effort in it.

It goes to show once again that it is really difficult to beat a Dragon over the head, as Chuck used to say. And how in the world is Dragon to know whether it is "Mike" as in "Mike Pompeo", or "Mike" as in "M".

DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
32177 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 301 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 302 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.