KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Out of curiosity does increasing the "pause required before commands" time increase accuracy?
Topic Summary: It seems like Dragon is more accurate, as though the computer has more time to think
Created On: 03/05/2021 09:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 03/05/2021 09:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
1955aho

Occasionally I have need of creating some delay between my utterance and the recognition appearing on the screen. I think I have perceived some increased accuracy by doing this as well but it is impossible to know whether that's true or just my imagination. So my question is, does increasing the "pause required before commands" time do anything for accuracy?

-------------------------
Andrew Owens

03/05/2021 11:08 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

It is not unlikely that your perception is correct. If I'm not mistaken, this is how the slider "speed versus accuracy" works.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

03/07/2021 10:47 AM

supee
Top-Tier Member

How much an increase you done? Double time? Or more?

It will be nice to know as I also will like to experiment on this

DPI 15.3, XPS 9575,  Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, 1TB SSD. Sennhesser ME3,  Philips Speechmike Premium 3500, Windows 10, Office 2016.

03/07/2021 03:32 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you're talking about the Speed vs. Accuracy slider, we have done a lot of experimentation and found that the Most Accurate setting to be somewhat more accurate than Fastest Response. We suspect that Nuance defaults the Speed vs. Accuracy slider to Fastest Response to eliminate a phone call from someone trying to get by with a consumer grade sound system from Office Depot or Best Buy.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

03/08/2021 10:53 PM

Author Icon
1955aho

no, I'm talking about the slider bar underneath "all is required before command.".

I like to fool with it because with the accuracy bar all the way to the right and that bar all the way to the left, it is blazingly fast even with the accuracy bar all the way to the right.

Andrew Owens
 03/08/2021 10:51 PM

Author Icon
1955aho

my default position is as far to the left as possible so putting it in the middle or slightly right of center is about it.

Andrew Owens
 03/08/2021 12:33 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

I seem to remember back in the day that Chuck discussed that topic. If memory serves me correctly, there was something about matching forwards versus five words in a lookahead or something like that. There was no significant improvement in accuracy going from "FS4"(?) to "FS5"(?), so 4 was the best setting. I think it was the fourth mark on the slider or something like that. On a modern computer, the default was FS4 by default and it made no difference or something like that. The main idea was that any modern computer had enough juice and speed to do the best matching of accuracy that was possible. I suppose I could be completely off the mark on this comment since it was so long ago.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

03/08/2021 08:45 AM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: kkkwj I seem to remember back in the day that Chuck discussed that topic. If memory serves me correctly, there was something about matching forwards versus five words in a lookahead or something like that. There was no significant improvement in accuracy going from "FS4"(?) to "FS5"(?), so 4 was the best setting. I think it was the fourth mark on the slider or something like that. On a modern computer, the default was FS4 by default and it made no difference or something like that. The main idea was that any modern computer had enough juice and speed to do the best matching of accuracy that was possible. I suppose I could be completely off the mark on this comment since it was so long ago.

Chuck (and Phils) recommended setting the slider all the way to most accurate:

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=21893&highlight_key=y&keyword1=accuracy%20slider

03/08/2021 12:13 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

kkkwj,

We believe you are mixing apples and oranges. BestMatch IV and BestMatch V have nothing to do with the Accuracy Slider. If you dictate 9 or more words, BestMatch V would compare the words to each other, to make your user profile more accurate. BestMatch IV compares 7 words but didn't appear to increase accuracy. Dragon Ver. 15 only offers BestMatch IV. In our opinion, BestMatch V never should've been released but Nuance has to make the latest release better than the previous release; including patches. Of course not all improvements work out.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

03/08/2021 12:31 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Both the sliders for "speed versus accuracy" and "pause required before commands" are basically there for setting timeouts. The first one controlling how much time is alloted to the recogniser to sort out the result, and thus controlling the order of n-grams being compared within the language model, if need arises, which is when it isn't so clear by itself, and the second one determining how long Dragon has to wait before the end of an utterance is signaled by pausing.

Bottom line: the longer the timeouts, the higher the probability to come up with a correct result, relatively.

@Matt

If you really want to find out the effect of the setting of the slider, you will need to create a digital recording, and compare transcribing it at different levels of the slider.

DragonCapture Homepage

03/08/2021 05:29 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke Both the sliders for "speed versus accuracy" and "pause required before commands" are basically there for setting timeouts. The first one controlling how much time is alloted to the recogniser to sort out the result, and thus controlling the order of n-grams being compared within the language model, if need arises, which is when it isn't so clear by itself, and the second one determining how long Dragon has to wait before the end of an utterance is signaled by pausing. Bottom line: the longer the timeouts, the higher the probability to come up with a correct result, relatively. @Matt If you really want to find out the effect of the setting of the slider, you will need to create a digital recording, and compare transcribing it at different levels of the slider.

Interesting.  I'll try your suggestion when I have a little more spare time. In the meantime, I'm happy with the slider set to most accurate, even with my not very powerful PC.

03/08/2021 10:55 PM

Author Icon
1955aho

that sounds like a "yes" to me. Thanks.

Andrew Owens
 03/08/2021 07:06 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Interesting. I'll try your suggestion when I have a little more spare time. In the meantime, I'm happy with the slider set to most accurate, even with my not very powerful PC.

That would be great Matt, and I will be the first one to be interested in your findings. Back in the day, doing it like this was part of the Phil Schaadt/RW school of thinking, which you might describe as "looking for facts rather than thoughts". I will be happy to provide you with a tool doing the heavy lifting in the testing for you.

DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
32127 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 306 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 306 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.