DNS changing microphone levels   - ax - 02/01/2021 10:17 PM  
 DNS changing microphone levels   - ax - 02/07/2021 01:56 PM  
 DNS changing microphone levels   - monkey8 - 02/02/2021 05:08 AM  
Keyword
 02/01/2021 04:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ABS9986

I have done a lot of research but I can't seem to figure this issue out. I have the latest version of Dragon Professional Individual 15.61. I am currently using the buddy USB 7-g microphone and an audio technica headset. Dragon seems to be automatically changing the microphone levels and often drops it down to 33. I just want to keep the levels manually set to 100 but nothing I do achieve this including adding the option for auto gain set to zero and adjusting the Windows 10 microphone properties to not allow applications to take exclusive control of the device.

Any suggestions

02/01/2021 04:53 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

If I am understanding you correctly, when you set up your profile initially the default option is to allow Dragon to adjust the microphone level as you speak, switch this option off by removing the checkmark from the checkbox shown. There may well be a way of doing this after you have created your profile using the options.ini file or an SDK command but without spending time looking I don't know if it's possible so you may have to create a new user profile.

-------------------------

02/01/2021 05:27 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

There may well be a way of doing this after you have created your profile using the options.ini file or an SDK command but without spending time looking I don't know if it's possible so you may have to create a new user profile.

Occasionally, some time is well worth spending. There is no need to go to that length. You can go back to the dialogue any time and change the setting back and forth as often as you wish.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

02/01/2021 05:32 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Of course you can, go to the Dragon Bar | settings | microphone | choose microphone and change it that way.

02/01/2021 07:08 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: ABS9986 I have done a lot of research but I can't seem to figure this issue out. I have the latest version of Dragon Professional Individual 15.61. I am currently using the buddy USB 7-g microphone and an audio technica headset. Dragon seems to be automatically changing the microphone levels and often drops it down to 33. I just want to keep the levels manually set to 100 but nothing I do achieve this including adding the option for auto gain set to zero and adjusting the Windows 10 microphone properties to not allow applications to take exclusive control of the device.

Any suggestions

Quite often this has NOTHING whatsoever to do with Nuance or any other Third-Party Applications.  That's not to say these Third-Parties as a rule keep their grubby paws out of the AGC cookie jar.

Under the venerable Windows 10, AGC (Automatic Gain Control) has been for some time now groomed by none other than Redmond itself (Agent Smith was talking about "a twinkle ... in a doting mother's eye" or something to that effect the other day in some other thread).

In order to defend the hardest-working business person in the entire state of Tennessee against some angry throng of deplorable doctors who might conspire to storm his office - for not standing up to big bad Corporation on their behalf, Big Brother has to keep the microphones appropriately "tuned", no?  Lest they couldn't "hear" when them bad apples skype each other across state boundaries ... Surely that DMO replacing DMPE thingie riled up good docile country docs good ... but then again, who are we kidding?  The entire state of Tennessee is safe from doctors, that much even I can declare.

Keeping microphone's gain "optimized" might be helpful, you know, to the "greater good".

Don't believe that Redmond takes Public Good seriously?  Go test out yourself on any microphone plugged into a Windows 10 machine, as long as it doesn't have a physical mute/off button activated, and yell/scream/speak/bang loudly into it, without any programs open (Dragon is definitely not required), and you will see with your own eyes the mic gain go down.

So what you "bought" your microphone?  It's NOT your microphone.  It's Cortana's microphone!

02/01/2021 09:52 PM

Author Icon
ABS9986

I unchecked the box to let dragon auto adjust volume.

So is this a dns issue or a windows 10 issue?
 02/01/2021 10:17 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Both.

In fact it could be an issue with Zoom, Teams, Chrome, "Dimsum" ... you name it.  AFAIK, anybody who can cobble together an "App" these days on Windows 10 (along with their grandmother and grandmother's smart transgenic dog who can code) will offer you "AGC".

A whole bunch of browsers even support AGC https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/MediaTrackSettings/autoGainControl out of box!

For mitigation, go to this Autohotkey page: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/SoundSet.htm, which I use to "reset" my mic input level.  If you are after more granular control, then there is this: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/21984-vista-audio-control-functions/, which seems to be able to take PC sound control to a whole other level.

Then there is also this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/, which apparently can also "lock down" input level, among other things.

Wouldn't surprise me if that fancy NVidia video card in the other thread will do it for you, too ...

Anyway, for average joe like me, the battle has been lost.  I reckon there is no need to get too bogged down into this AGC rabbit hole. 

I am not aware of any switch you can toggle off in Windows 10 that would deactivate this global AGC from Redmond (which as we know protects missy Cortana's delicate eardrum), although I can't rule out someone somewhere letting us in on some registry hack.  If there is some simple method, PRAY TELL - I thank you wholeheartedly in advance for enlightenment.

To me using the AHK SoundSet option is the quickest and easiest so far.

02/07/2021 01:56 PM

Author Icon
ax
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: ax Both. 

I must stand corrected for besmirching Cortana's good name.  As long as "she" scampers off the Desktop, in the absence of any Third-Party programs open or running, I cannot reproduce any intrinsic "Redmond AGC" - despite the microphone being live and sensing ambient sound as indicated by the fluctuating bar in the "Sound Setting" panel.

But if my VOIP software is on, or if DME is open through Chrome (even if in the background and not active), or perhaps Teams, or Steam, or whatever in the background/foreground - even if not "running", WITHOUT pressing the mic record button itself, the mic gain will fluctuate, sometimes very wildly.

Therefore the conclusion that Tom, Dick, and Harry is each implementing some flavour of AGC, often surreptitiously in the background, stands quite true nonetheless.

The Windows System Tray (on 1909 at least) informs on "who" is using microphone by way of a little icon.  It does not indicate that "active recording" or transmission is taking place.  But something is definitely processing sound, as the mere access by an app will frequently lead to "AGC", which may or may not be turned off by toggling the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" checkbox.

This AGC by all and sundry is a veritable mess.

02/02/2021 05:08 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: ABS9986 I unchecked the box to let dragon auto adjust volume. So is this a dns issue or a windows 10 issue?

It's a DNS "feature" where the developers have decided that allowing Dragon to automatically adjust the volume with certain audio setups is beneficial to the recognition accuracy. You may not find this to be so in which case you are at liberty to remove the check mark. Let us know if the volume level for Dragon now stays at 100, once we know the answer to that then it would be more appropriate to comment further then. I would also be interested to know if you feel you get better recognition accuracy by removing the checkmark. Some people do and some people don't.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » DNS changing microphone levels

Statistics
32127 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 295 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 297 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.