KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/01/2021 01:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - mareid - 02/01/2021 01:58 PM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/01/2021 02:27 PM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - R. Wilke - 02/01/2021 02:53 PM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - mareid - 02/01/2021 06:20 PM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - dilligence - 02/01/2021 08:23 PM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - Alan Cantor - 02/01/2021 09:03 PM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - Mav - 02/02/2021 04:33 AM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - Alan Cantor - 02/02/2021 10:09 AM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - R. Wilke - 02/02/2021 04:54 PM  
 "Period" and "full stop" have somehow been remapped   - Alan Cantor - 02/02/2021 10:19 PM  
Keyword
 02/01/2021 01:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mareid

Starting a few days ago, whenever I say the word "period" as a standalone command, some unintentional effect happens. It used to be that, if I reached the end of the sentence but paused to think before uttering "period", Dragon would happily insert "."  Now it doesn't type anything, and instead triggers menus in web pages and forms. For example, I just said "period" while dictating into this page in Firefox and, instead of typing ".", it selected one of the "Categories" listed at the side of the KnowBrainer forum interface. It does exactly the same thing if I say "full stop". This is completely new behaviour that does not happen on my other Dragon-equipped computer. Does anyone know how to restore the original functionality?

02/01/2021 02:27 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

#1. It sounds like you may have removed the checkmark from your Dragon Commands option to [Require “Click” to select hyperlinks in HTML windows]. If so, put it back

#2. Say show recognition history to see what Dragon thinks you said. Note that this may not help in Dragon friendly Active Accessibility browsers like Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome

#3. This should go without saying but NEVER dictate a single word or punctuation, which is less accurate and prone to be misrecognized as a command. If you're waiting to see if you need a period at the end of a sentence, you can optionally dictate a period with the beginning of your next utterance

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

02/01/2021 02:53 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Now it doesn't type anything, and instead triggers menus in web pages and forms. 

Quite true, and only started happening recently, so probably qualifying as a new bug.

*Sarcasm* DavidP., or whoever hides behind that handle, where can we find you when a bug inspector is really needed? */Sarcasm*

It seems that you can always avoid it by NOT pausing before saying "period". Do note, also, that "period" is not a voice command, so it doesn't require pausing before saying it. And for good measure, and with regards to structuring your dictation, you should always end your phrases in a punctuation mark, because the same is true for any other punctuation mark, by the way.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

02/01/2021 06:20 PM

Author Icon
mareid

Thanks, everyone. Lunis is correct that I had turned off the "click" command for hyperlinks, because I find it annoying. Turning it back on did not fix the problem. However, your second suggestion was revealing: I determined that, in certain applications (Firefox, Word), solo utterances of "period" are interpreted as commands, while in other applications (WordPad), those same solo utterances are not interpreted as commands. Re-enabling the "click" command for hyperlinks makes solo utterances of "period" stop triggering functions on websites, but it does not cause the punctuation mark to appear in text boxes.

Is there some way I can convince Dragon to stop interpreting the word "period" as a command?

02/01/2021 08:23 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

The trick is to create a simple voice command (preferably DVC if you want optimal speed) named Period (mind the \CAP!) with the following script:

SendKeys "."

This will become active if you briefly pause before saying "period". If you don't pause at all Dragon will recognize the built in punctuation command (so you can see the difference).

Either way, this should solve the problem (I hope :-)).

Btw, when I dictated "punctuation command" Dragon came up with:

Even after so many years of using Dragon there's always built-in commands that I didn't know of yet

Amazing program!

Auto Box© Demo now available

02/01/2021 09:03 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

You may be inadvertently triggering some of Firefox's more arcane commands. For example, if the cursor is NOT in a text field or edit box, pressing the period initiates a search on text that appears in hypertext links.

I think you can disable this (and related Firefox features) this way:

Tools > Options > General > Browsing > Search for text when you start typing [UNCHECK]

02/02/2021 04:33 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!

You can enforce recognition as dictation (instead of command) by pressing and holding Shift while speaking.

hth,

mav

02/02/2021 10:09 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Holding down the Shift key won't help if the "search for text when you start typing" option is enabled in Firefox. When the Firefox UI detects an incoming period, a special Firefox search box opens.

I don't think many people know about this Firefox feature. As a (mostly) non-mouse user, I find it indispensable because it allows me to navigate to, and activate, any hypertext link on a web page -- including links that are not visible in the viewport -- by pressing as few as three keys.

When the feature is enabled, the ability to interact with web pages by voice is negatively affected. So you can opt for good keyboard access, good voice access, but not both at the same time!

02/02/2021 04:54 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Mav Hi!

You can enforce recognition as dictation (instead of command) by pressing and holding Shift while speaking.

hth,

mav

Mav, this is a little disappointing really. You for one should actually know that anything mentioned in this thread such as "period" or just anything else, is part of the vocabulary, and NOT commands for that matter.

Technically, in the past such "commands" were referred to as "in-line commands", simply indicating that they can be spoken without pausing before and after, and not sure if this has changed, but that still doesn't make them "commands" by definition.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

02/02/2021 10:19 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

There could be a command named "period" on a web page. Dragon is supposed to generate commands on-the-fly based on items that appear in the active browser window. (However, this feature seems to be broken in DPI 15.61.) For example, if there is a link on a webpage named "Contact us today," the link can be activated by voice saying any of the following -- although for this example, assume that "Require "Click" to select hyperlinks in HTML windows" is unchecked.

"Contact"
"us"
"today"
"Contact us"
"us today"
"Contact us today"

These commands are not hard-coded. Dragon generates them by (I assume) analyzing the HTML for the web page.

So it's possible for a command called "period" to be available as long as there are links in the view port with names like "This historical period," "a period of time," etc.

I don't remember whether Dragon used to generate a command called "period" for hypertext links that contained the punctuation mark, e.g., "R. Wilke".

I miss this Dragon feature!

Statistics
32132 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 448 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 448 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.