Dictating $1.x million   - Karen Willenken - 01/19/2021 06:35 AM  
 Dictating $1.x million   - PG LTU - 01/19/2021 03:17 PM  
Keyword
 01/18/2021 02:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Karen Willenken
Power Member

I frequently want to dictate numbers such as $2.8 million or $1.5 million. Whenever the first digit is one, I get weird recognition issues - the above might be dictated as one $25 million, $0.5 million or (most reasonably, but still annoying) one $0.5 million. Dragon has no trouble with numbers that don't begin with one -- I dictate "two point eight million dollars" and get the number above with no problem. But it literallly never gets the $1.x million right.

I am dictating the phrase quickly, with no pauses, so I can't figure out why Dragon doesn't understand that the 1 should be part of the "one point x million dollars" phrase, and not a standalone word. Any suggestions for a better way to dictate these numbers?

In case it matters, I'm using Dragon Profesional (Group) v 15.6.

01/18/2021 04:36 PM

Author Icon
bmac
Top-Tier Member

In autoformatting options, you should have if numbers are 2 or greater and million should be checked to eliminate the 6 zeros.

-------------------------

Bill
DPI 15.61, KB 2017, SpeechStart +, customized Desktop PC (AMD 12 core 9th gen Ryzen 9 3900x@3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDD4 SSD), Crucial 1 TB m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Philips SpeechMike Air 4000, Philips speech Mike 3500, SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike, MS Office 365 Professional and Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7

01/18/2021 05:21 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Karen,

That's very strange. Just to test on my system: if you pay me $1.5 million, by wire transfer, I will send you a check for $125 million by mail.

I have my autoformatting options set to use numbers if 10 or greater and millions is checked to eliminate the six zeros. Maybe try toggling those off, exiting Dragon, restarting Dragon and then toggling them back on?

Matt
 01/18/2021 08:34 PM

Author Icon
Todd

I have "Numbers, if greater or equal to" set to 10 and "'million' instead of ',000,000'" checked.  When I say "one point five million dollars", Dragon correctly enters "$1.5 million".  I am not sure why your setup is not formatting correctly.

Try dictating "one point five dollars [spacebar] million" (try it with and without "spacebar").  This is not an elegant solution, but it should work.  Worst case scenario, try explicitly dictating "dollar sign one dot five [specebar] million".

By the way, you should also check DragonBar-> Tools-> Recognition History to verify Dragon is hearing you correctly.

Todd Kermit
Principal
SpeechWise
todd@speechwise.com

www.speechwise.com

Dragon Professional Individual 15.61, Intel Core i7-10700K, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, Plantronics CS55/Andrea PureAudio USB-SA

01/19/2021 06:35 AM

Author Icon
Karen Willenken
Power Member

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions. It is hearing me correctly - when it types "one $0.5 million" it heard "one point five million dollars" and when it types $2.8 million, it hears "two point eight million dollars." My number options were configured like Matt's. Oddly enough, changing them did not affect the behavior at all - my two sample numbers came out exactly the same regardless of the setting.

Dictating "dollar sign one dot five [spacebar] million" works as long as Dragon hears the "dot" correctly, but it often doesn't. My favorite workaround so far is to dictate "numeral one point five million dollars" - which is closest to what I would naturally do, and works consistently whether the number starts with a one or with another number. So I guess I will just try to get in the habit of always saying numeral before I dictate the number.
 01/19/2021 03:17 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Sounds like a new profile would work here. Did you ever play around with any vocabulary having to do with numbers, say adding entries, or training words with numbers? This could include command names, especially listing commands with numbers, or any number of reasons that a word loses its special meaning as also a number to be handled by ITN currency (or other) rules. Speaking of those other rules, do you get the same behaviors or is it only "one point" and "million"?

Try saying $1.5 billion or 1'2" and see if you get any weird formatting.

Recognition history:
try saying one point five billion dollars
or one foot two inches
and see if you get any weird formatting period

Let us know . . .

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Dictating $1.x million

Statistics
31935 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 613 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 614 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.