KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?
Topic Summary: Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?
Created On: 12/20/2020 11:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - HeHe - 12/20/2020 11:36 PM  
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/21/2020 12:43 PM  
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - HeHe - 12/22/2020 04:01 PM  
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - monkey8 - 12/21/2020 01:26 PM  
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - HeHe - 12/22/2020 08:56 PM  
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - harpalus - 12/24/2020 10:29 PM  
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - Matt_Chambers - 12/23/2020 09:33 AM  
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - kkkwj - 12/25/2020 11:43 AM  
 Blue Screen of Death errors from Dragon 15.6?   - HeHe - 01/17/2021 05:55 PM  
Keyword
 12/20/2020 11:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
HeHe
Power Member

?
I installed 15.6 on my brand-new computer (Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 with 16 GB RAM) and used it for a day or 2 and it seemed to function normally.

I then made almost all of the changes recommended in KnowBrainer Dragon_Manual.pdf (I ran out of time after #22, and some options were not shown in my version of 15.6). After that, I occasionally started to get some Blue Screen of Death errors: initially only MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS (my memory is it only happened if Dragon was opened), but just now immediately after a reboot for that, I got IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

BTW, I uninstalled Dragon and then reinstalled it, but I continue to get BSODs. I did save my user profile when uninstalling, so I wonder if I might not get BSODs if I had started with a blank user profile without the recommended settings changes.

Interestingly, I would occasionally get MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS on my old computer (Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with 16 GB of RAM) after installing 15.6, but I was having so many other problems with that PC, I figured it was just another sign of the PC failing. I now think it makes a lot more sense that the problem is Dragon 15.6.

Anyone have any ideas?

Note: I have separately posted about a minor problem regarding the Dragon bar not appearing that occurred at the same time as these BSOD errors started

12/21/2020 12:43 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You could try creating a new user profile but we don't believe it will help. This might make you feel better about not applying the KnowBrainer tweaks and seeing that it doesn't make a difference.

You are also mentioning Ver. 15.6. The latest release of DPI is 15.61 but we don't believe this is the problem either.

In our opinion, it seems more likely that your computer is simply not 100% healthy. Dragon is simply the straw that breaks the camel's back. Our best guess is that your computer needs to be properly bench tested by a qualified technician.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

12/22/2020 04:01 PM

Author Icon
HeHe
Power Member

Thanks for getting back to me.

Since I also had the problem on my previous computer, and only with 15.6 and not 15.3, the only common denominator is 15.6. So, I am sure it is not a problem with my new computer.

In addition, I contacted Lenovo tech support and they had me run a complete set of diagnostics, including at the BIOS level, and there were no errors.

Finally, Lenovo tech support examined the BSOD dump files and they found it was a software problem. It is a driver conflict, apparently between Malwarebytes and Dragon 15.6. I am also following up with Malwarebytes.

In any case, if the problem continues, I will go back to 15.3.

12/21/2020 01:26 PM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

You should run extended memory tests using the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, see below:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/diagnose-memory-problems-in-windows-8/

If you get problems you should report them to the PC manufacturers where you purchase from. You can play about by removing chunks of memory to work out the problem but it's not worth it if it's a new computer. Although it says Windows 8 in the URL it is updated this year and is valid for Windows 10.

12/22/2020 08:56 PM

Author Icon
HeHe
Power Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran the diagnostic and it found no errors.

12/24/2020 10:29 PM

Author Icon
harpalus
Advanced Member

You might want to have a look at my long thread about Microsoft level 1 and 2 technicians being unable to fix a problem that I am starting to think might be related to DPI 15.61 and some of the earlier versions. More specifically, I suspect that the DPI add-in for Microsoft outlook damages software on my computer and think that the problems I am having that the technicians cannot fix might be due to that add-in.

I certainly understand your frustration because I am going through a different frustration that seems to involve DPI. I think that DPI has become less and less compatible with Windows because of the changes that Microsoft has made over time.

I noted recently a comment made on the THE TECH GUY podcast Hosted by Leo Laporte. A listener posed a question about DPI. Leo provided an answer that suggested that nuance has for the past several years concentrated on acquiring patents but not kept up with technology. Meanwhile other companies have developed solutions for dictating text, such as Apple according to comments on the show. The other companies of course don't provide for using scripts, but I fear that nuance is not sufficiently keeping up with current changes in Windows.

I have used Dragon since the days of DOS and feel that Dragon was much more stable at one point but now on 2 different Dell XPS based computers (one purchased in 2013 and one in July 2019) seems to cause problems that for me I think are possibly related to the add-in for Microsoft Outlook. Once the older unit was semiretired and used for things that did not involve Microsoft Outlook, DPI settled down and became stable.

GaryN

12/23/2020 09:33 AM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Interesting. I'm running Malwarebytes and Dragon 15.61 on a Windows 10 computer without any problem at all. I'm running the free version of Malwarebytes, so maybe that explains the difference, but I doubt it.
 12/25/2020 11:43 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

In your opening post, you said things worked normally until you went through the KB list up to #22. If it were me, I'd go back to where things worked properly. (Can you undo the things in the KB list? I don't know what's on there.) If 15.6 is the common denominator, maybe roll back to 15.3. (I'm scared of 15.6 and the time I would lose fighting its problems.)

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL really sounds like a driver conflict problem to me, as someone above said. That means two pieces of software are messing and fighting with low-level interrupt numbers and chains of software hooks on the interrupt request (IRQ) channels. Malwarebytes and Dragon could both be doing such things. The only real way of finding the problem is to start uninstalling software programs to see if the problem disappears on the uninstall path toward a naked machine, or on the way back up to a fully populated machine. I think there are also programs that you can install to detect conflicts in drivers, although they are close to being black art and touchy.

For example, I had a conflict between the M2 SSD disk interrupts on my new machine and a new updated driver for SATA drives (the old SATA driver that came with the Windows 10 OS was 6 or 8 years old). When I was updating drivers after the OS install, I updated that SATA driver and lost my entire SSD boot drive! The machine wouldn't recognize it! Ugh.

A final comment is that the Dragon Outlook plugin has never been very reliable on my machine. It dies and hangs. It conflicts (or conflicted) with Grammarly. I keep it turned off. Outlook has a lot of security and privacy stuff going on compared to the Excel and Word plugins, so that might be part of the issue there.

I think your best bet is to start uninstalling your programs back to a naked machine, and slowly build them back up over many days. At each step, operate your machine for a few days to give the problem time to appear. Install the critical programs (the ones you really need) first. Good luck.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.61, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

01/17/2021 05:55 PM

Author Icon
HeHe
Power Member

I'm afraid to jinx things by mentioning this, but the Blue Screen of Death stopped occurring only a few days after my post.

Maybe Dragon's speech recognition REALLY recognized my complaint!
Statistics
31938 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 474 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 481 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.